Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Antenna Genius IP56 Housing

Options

I wrote an email to 401A last evening. And I received a response from them this morning. Antenna Genius 8x1 is powered by DC 12-15V

Its housing is made of stainless steel, but it is not waterproof.

We recommend IP56 housing for it.

My questions are as follows.

1. Has anyone mounted the unit at or on their tower and how did you do this?
  2. What IP56 Housing device did you use so that you can get the coax cables to attach to the unit?
  3. How did you wire and connect the power supply to the unit? Any suggestions would be very much appreciated. Mark Griffin, KB3Z

Comments

• W2PP
    W2PP Member ✭✭
    Options

I had mine in an electrical cabinet. Water was not a problem. I ran separate 14 VDC line to it. Mine was 150 feet away. The LAN connection was unreliable and failed during transmission. The relay opened up and fried the unit.

Keep it close to your router

Peter

• Mark Griffin
    Mark Griffin Member ✭✭
    Options

I definitely see your point on the router. My tower is about 80 feet from the shack. Plus, to connect a wireless router in my basement and then a short cable to the Antenna Genius would not be the most reliable way of connecting Lan to the unit. Right now I have a DXE 8 port switch. One coax comes into the house and I have a Control Switch that I can switch antenna's very quickly. That has served me well for the past 6 to 7 years.

• Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin
    Options

I have a Switch at the base of my tower that controls my AC Power control, Rotator and soon the Steppir. It is about 200ft of direct burial CAT 5 cable. Since it runs through the woods it is just laying on the ground.

From an Ethernet perspective, it has been flawless. I have yet to move the AG there, since the tower is on the end of the property and the low band antennas are on the other side.

Another friend of mine has a similar setup and it is about 300ft to his tower/barn and he also runs CAT 5 to it without issue. Neither of use have had any LAN dropouts and just the other day commented how reliable it was. I am not sure why W2PP was having so many issues, but I would have to say his situation is somewhat unique.

• David Decoons, wo2x
    David Decoons, wo2x Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    Options

W2PP commented it “failed during transmission”, indicating RF ingress to the network connection.

Dave wo2x

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.