Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Operating remote and merging contacts to various loggers

Options
My plan is to operate FT8 remotely while on a short vacation with FT8 and SmartSDR (via SmartLink) on my laptop. Easy enough.

In the shack, WSJT-X sends contacts to Gridtracker ON ANOTHER COMPUTER which then forwards to QRZ.com, LOTW, and N3FJP logger. Perfect.

So . . . when I get home, I need to merge the contacts I've made onto those platforms.

One way that probably works is to create an ADIF file of the new contacts and then upload the file onto all those platforms. Probably not a horrible process but I thought I'd see if there was a more straightforward method.

Thanks,
Mark KB0US
Tagged:

Comments

• KD0RC
    KD0RC Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    Options

Hi Mark, I also run the N3FJP ACLog logging SW. When I am remote, I run SmartSDR over SmartLink and fire up SmartSDR CAT. That lets me run my regular logger on the same computer as SmartSDR, just like normal. I use CAT instead of the Flex API for the logger. This way I don't have to copy and merge ADIF files. I don't run FT8, so not too sure what WSJT-X does with the logging.

Importing/exporting the ADIF files is not a bad way to go, especially if you bunch up the contacts and do one import/export a day, or even just once when you get home. That is what I tend to do with my Field Day contacts.

I also use TeamViewer to remotely run my rotator and to control my KPA 500 / KAT 500 combo. It really works great in conjunction with SmartSDR/SmartLink. Is that (or something like it) how you operate WSJT-X?

• mrosneck
    mrosneck Member ✭✭
    Options
    My remote usage, Len, (which is relatively light) is running FT8 while my wife is driving the RV or playing for a bit in the morning before she wakes. Digital is great for both!

I really wanted it to be simple and while TeamViewer works just fine [Note] I thought not having the automatic logging going on and updating the loggers when I got home would simplify things.

I'm thinking the ADIF route might be simplest.

Thanks,
    Mark KB0US

[Note] I used TeamViewer on a trip to Yellowstone and it just was a bit much making sure all four logging programs were getting data. Gridtracker forwards it all automatically but there always seems to be something like QRZ.com being down. It was OK but I just didn't want to worry about the logging bouncing down the road.
  • Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin
    Options

The good news is ADIF!

All log books can import an ADIF file and all can Export them.

It is a very simple process to export the ADIF from one logbook and import it into another logbook. That is the reason ADIF exists.

You do want to make sure that you deal with duplicates. Some logging programs will either overwrite duplicates or ignore them.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.