Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Non-Solder Control Solution Between Flex Radio and Acom 700s/600s/1200s

I thought I would pass this along to those that are looking for a control cable interface between Flex 6000's and the solid state Acom amps. The Acom amp will follow the frequency of the Flex radio as you change bands without intervention from the operator.

You can purchase the Flex USB to Serial adapter: https://www.flexradio.com/products/usb-to-serial-adapter-for-the-flex-6000-series/ or this Serial adapter from Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01DT6K8G2

You'll also need a null modem adapter, male-to-female: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000067RW2

Lastly, this cable from DXEngineering: https://www.dxengineering.com/parts/dxe-acomss-kwd

Once you have the parts, just connect the Flex cable to the cable from DXEngineering with the null modem adapter and you are set.

Jim, W8GN

Comments

• Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin

Thanks Jim

We have some of this written up here for our new users.

• James Watts
    James Watts Member ✭✭

Mike, it is documented on how to make the cable in many places. However, the purpose of this post was to inform those that didn't want to solder the wires and check conductivity of pins to stripped down wire, this non-solder solution works with readily available parts available for purchase.

Of course, those that don't mind soldering or looking for those hard to see numbers on the pin-out 15 pin or 9 pin adapters, soldering is a cheaper way to go. Just an alternative that works and I thought was worthy of mention.

Jim, W8GN

• Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin

Yes, Jim I am aware of that. :) I added my post to provide the reference document for those that are not aware of it.

We are finding that a large large number of today's Ham's who want to add this sort of integration are nervous about making cables as they are afraid to make a mistake and **** up something. I have posted no solder solutions here in the community as well for many devices, but I am not sure just how well received they are.

There is a nice little cottage market for someone who wants to make custom cables for people. I bet we get one or 2 calls every day asking for a specific cable to connect the radio to some external device. That, and Mic adapter cables.

• Jim_N1NK
    Jim_N1NK Member
    I tried this with an Elecraft FTDI cable. the cable was recognized by the radio so should be OK. But I could not find the right Acom 700s settings for it to work. what amp settings work?
    Jim/N1NK
  • Hal Massey
    Hal Massey Member ✭✭

HI Jim,

On the ACOM 700S set the following under the CAT settings menu:

Interface Type: RS232

Command Set: 5

Baud Rate: 9600

Byte Spacing: 50 microseconds

Polling Time: 800 milliseconds

Assuming the Flex side is setup correctly you will be good to go...

Regards

-Hal

• AB8YZ
    AB8YZ Member ✭✭

I just bought a ACOMM 700S to go with my Flex 6400M. I decided to just buy the required cables because I have developed tremors in my hands, so using a soldering iron if problematic.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.