Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Can't find AG 8x2

Rich M5RIC
Rich M5RIC Member ✭✭✭

Hi all

Just recieved a new AG 8x2 but when connecting it to the LAN it's not found. I have the DIP switches all set to OFF - for LAN is just says to have 1-4 as OFF so assume as long as these are thats ok?

Checked the firewall and this is set to allow the AG program - I reset the rules just to be sure and have set the public and private networks to allow access.

Am using a laptop but also tried a desktop pc with no difference.

Have tried a couple of other cat5 cables.

Have followed procedure in the manual to reset the DHCP settings and resetting to factory settings.

Have resset laptop in case, pulled power on the AG, unpligged LAN cable - all the basics etc.

Network is set to DHCP. The flex 6600M is on the same network and this connects to the laptop fine - am running CAT and DAX with DXlog and have no issues.

Included is a pic of the network page and what i am seeing on the AG program, if I click on interfaces it is seeing etherent and wifi.

Any ideas what to try next?

Thanks

Rich

Comments

• Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin

Hi Rich

Can you look in your Router and see if it assigned an IP address under the DHCP area of your Router. This will at least tell us if it is on your network and it got an address from the DHCP server. We need to figure out this part first. Let me know the IP address.

It also looks like your PC is on WiFi and no LAN cable, which you did mention. For the purposes of debugging, let's make sure the PC you are using is connected by a LAN cable to your LAN Switch.

Even without the AG not getting a DHCP address, it should still work on your network since the failover address is 192.168.1.140 which is the same subnet as your network.

Given all that, the things to narrow in on is that the LAN connection to the Switch is not functional or your PC Firewall is limiting communications to it. You may also want to reset the AG just to make sure it is in a known station.

You can reset the IP and Configuration settings at any time by setting the DIP7 to ON while

powering up. After the power up set DIP7 to OFF and power cycle again.

• Rich M5RIC
    Rich M5RIC Member ✭✭✭

Hi Mike

I'm not a networking expert. I'm using a simple 5 port switch, so laptop, 6600m and the AG all connected to it. The 6600m is connecting to the laptop fine so the connection to the switch and to the laptop must be ok as DAX and CAT are working as expected.

Wifi is connected to the laptop too but no wired internet access in to the switch.

I have reset the AG as per your instructions too but no change.

Here is the ipconfig screen for the laptop.

Rich

• Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin

Hi Rich

I will convert this to a support ticket. You will need to see if you can log into your Router. Is there any way you can do that?

Mike

• Sergey KN7K
    Sergey KN7K Member ✭✭✭

Check your Network set to Private and not to Public.

Sergey, KN7K

• David Decoons, wo2x
    David Decoons, wo2x Member, Super Elmer Moderator

I see the problem.

The laptop shows link local address for Ethernet port. (169.254.x.x). So with laptop, radio, and 2x8 plugged into the switch but no cable from switch to router there is no DHCP server.

The laptop and radio can communicate fine using link local addresses but the 2x8 is defaulting to the 192.168.1.x subnet therefore the laptop does not see the switch.

Run an Ethernet cable from the switch to your router and reboot everything. If you cannot leave the cable from switch to router then you will need to set a static IP in 2x8 switch to be on 169.254.x.x network with 255.255.0.0 subnet mask

i recommend if at all possible to run the cable between the switch and router and leave it connected. That will allow you to use SmartLink for remote access.

Dave wo2x

• Rich M5RIC
    Rich M5RIC Member ✭✭✭

Hi Dave

That makes sense as this morning I was trying a few things again and I plugged in a cable from the switch to my router and it worked fine. Unplug and restart and it was not visible again.

I won't be using it at home so will try your second solution as I won't have internet where I'm using it, will be using everything onsite rather than remote.

I am out at the moment but will try it later.

In terms of the address can it just be 169.254.1.1?

Would using a different switch negate this or would it always happen?

Thanks

Rich

• David Decoons, wo2x

You can always bring a inexpensive cable modem router with you instead of a switch for portable work. That way the router will assign IP addresses via DHCP even though you will not have Internet access.

That way if you do use it at home on your network with everything connected to your home router (either direct or through a switch connected to the router) you will not run into trouble getting things to communicate with each other.

Glad I could help!

73 Dave wo2x

• Rich M5RIC
    Rich M5RIC Member ✭✭✭

Hi Dave

Thats worked fine, I bought a cheap router so I can use it without worrying about changing settings in the AG. Arrived this mroning, plugged all in and worked first time.

Thanks

Rich

• David Decoons, wo2x

Excellent!

73 and good DX

Dave wo2x

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.