Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Can the PGXL Utility run remotely?

Options

I'm wondering if the PGXL utility can be made to run remotely. On the PC that the PGXL is attached to, there is the option to configure the utility where you can set the IP address. On my remote PC, when I start the PGXL utility, there is no option to configure anything, so I can't enter the IP address for my station along with a port number for port forwarding to the PGXL.

Why would I like to do this, you ask? On my Maestro, there are meters for the output power and current for the PGXL, but no meter to monitor the internal temperatures of the PGXL. I would like to keep an eye on the temperatures while operating remotely. This brings up a suggestion for a future enhancement: have a drop down menu on the Maestro to be able to select what meters you would like to display instead of just having the ability to add/subtract meters from a fixed set. Then it would be nice to have a meter for PGXL temperatures.

73, Les VE3NNT

Comments

• KD0RC
    KD0RC Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    Options

Hi Les, I don't see any reference to SmartLink in the PGXL documentation. Hopefully that is a feature that is on its way. In the meantime, while I don't have a PGXL, I do have a KPA 500 / KAT 500 combo that I use with DDUtil. I took Mike, VA3MW's suggestion and run a computer at the radio site when I am operating remotely. DDUtil runs on the radio-sited computer and I use the free version of TeamViewer to operate it and any other software running local to the radio (rotator control, etc).

I also connect my homebrew TeensyMaestro using the SoftEther VPN. If you have other gear that connects to your Flex with ethernet, that is a great way to get similar functionality as SmartLink. I do connect SmartSDR using SmartLink as it has less latency than SoftEther, but everything else uses TeamViewer or SoftEther. I only did limited comparisons of SmartLink to SoftEther, but it was enough to notice a difference.

I just looked at your QRZ page - NICE STATION!!! I would have a daily dilemma - go fishing or operate that station...

• WX7Y
    WX7Y Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

You can see those setting running Dave's WO2X Node-Red flow for the PGXL and it will connect remotely by setting a Ethernet port to allow the connection through your router. Dave's Flow actually show the temperature of the Harmonic Load which is handy.

This is just one of MANY flows you can add for station automation to use Remotely with Node-Red.

I added the "Radio SWR", "PGXL AMP Ping", and PGXL 220V AC Power" display and button but the rest is Dave's Flow.

Here is a screen shot of my Flow

• David Decoons, wo2x
    David Decoons, wo2x Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    Options

I’ll go into a little background on Node Red that Bret mentioned. For those interested in this solution, we have a group on groups.io Node Red for Ham Radio

https://groups.io/g/nodered-hamradio

To elaborate on Bret’s post,Node Red runs on a server local to the radio, amp, etc. The dashboard you see which shows the amp controls and monitoring is visible from any web browser, including Smartphones. You would need to open one port in your firewall at radio location so your web browser can access the Node Red server. The server can run on a Raspberry Pi, Windows, or Linux. There are several ways to secure the Node Red server.

The added advantage is the ability to connect other equipment to Node Red so you have complete remote control.

Dave wo2x

• Les Brown
    Les Brown Member ✭✭
    Options

Bret and Dave,

Thanks for this info. I had seen some posts on node-red and wondered what it was all about, but never bothered to investigate. So, based on your info, I did a crash course on node-red. After watching some U-tube videos, including the one you did with Mike, VA3MW, I installed node-red, figured out how to import Dave's PGXL flow, discovered that I was missing several node types, figured out how to search for them and install them, and got everything running. It all works great. I tested it remotely and all works well after doing the port forwarding. Now I'll try to find Bret's revised flow and install that.

Thanks for introducing me to this great software.

73, Les VE3NNT

• Alan
    Alan Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Les

Congratulations on your Node-Red entry. It can be addicting.

For WAN access to your raspberry pi, an alternative to opening up ports on your router is to use a device to device VPM called "Tailscale". Tailscale is free for one user and I think, 20 devices.

Alan. WA9WUD

• Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin
    Options

I was going to comment, but I think others have covered it. :)

Les, welcome aboard.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.