Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Receiver Drop Outs

Options

While operating ARRL FD this past weekend I noticed the receiver would randomly drop out from time to time. It happened 4 times in 8 hours. Mode was CW. When this happened there were no signals showing on the panadapter and the waterfall would freeze. There was band noise in the headphones but no signals. Tapping the CW paddle and sending a single dit would restore the receiver. A dropout would be followed by another one within minutes then it would be fine for hours. I have never seen this behavior before I upgraded to 2.7.6. This is the first contest after upgrading. I was using my normal contest setup with N1MM. I will open a ticket with Flex support to document this behavior. -Joe N3HEE

Comments

• DaveC
    DaveC Member ✭✭
    Options

What flavor of 6000 are you using?

I have a similar problem with my 6300, running 1.12.1, and SmartSDR on my Windows 10 machine. I have been attributing this behavior to Windows and not to the radio per se.

Dave KB1WOD

• Joe N3HEE
    Joe N3HEE Member ✭✭
    Options

Dave,

I have a 6600M v 2.7.6.

The RX drops were happening while using Windows 10 SmartSDR and N1MM. I have not tested using just the radio and N1MM. Trying to replicate this issue will take some time since it happens so randomly and infrequently.

This is a very problematic issue in a contest when you are calling CQ repeatedly (then suddenly no responses) while still hearing band noise in your headphones only to then look at the panadapter to find it dead. Once I restored the RX there was a long line of callers responding to my CQ's.

Joe

• Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin
    Options

Joe

Were you sending spots to the radio? If so, it is possible that the sheer amount of spots was overwhelming the radio display tablet.

This is a known issue.

• Joe N3HEE
    Joe N3HEE Member ✭✭
    Options

Hi Mike,

I was not sending spots to the radio. Flex support thinks maybe the T/R relay is sticking ?

I will keep a close eye on this the next time it happens so I can try to replicate it. I tried to reproduce the issue by sending a continuous string of CQ's for an hour ( with TX power set to 0 ) from N1MM and I cant get it to fail.

One thing I will note is that when it did happen it would happen again within minutes then be fine for hours.

Thanks,

Joe

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.