Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Will Elecraft KAT 500 tuner work with Flex 6000 series?

Options
I have a K3, P3, KAT 500 tuner and KPA 500 Amp. I see that the KPA 500 Amp is compatible with the Flex series. I also want to use my KAT 500 tuner because it has 3 antenna ports and works well switching between my beam and inverted vee antennas automatically, as I change bands. My plan is to purchase a Flex 6400 and Maestro. Will the tuner and amp work with the 6400 as it does with the K3?
Gerry

Best Answers

• GERRYV
    GERRYV Member ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    [{"insert":"Thanks, that helps a lot. I figured since I knew the KPA 500 worked, the KAT 500 must also but, could not find a reference. I see we are neighbors, I live in Westminster.\nGerry, W0GV\n"}]
  • Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin
    Answer ✓
    Options

I wanted to mention, you can use as many USB/RS232 devices as you wish, but you will need a good powered USB hub connected to the radio.

• Patrick
    Patrick Member ✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

Just a note, the KAT500 reads the actual radio frequency from the Flex radio and if it tunes on that freq. it will remember it. The KPA500 only band switches.

Answers

• Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin
    Options

Yes.

All 6000 series radios can support multiple external devices at the same time.

I am sure others have wired it already and they can share it with you.

• awinger
    awinger Member ✭✭
    Options
    Yes it does work with the Elecraft cable bundle and instruction Elecraft does include. I use the kat500 with the kpa500 on a 6400m and a maestro A. Mike helped me along the path to figuring it out.
  • KD0RC
    KD0RC Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    Options

Hi Gerry, I have a Flex 6400, a KPA 500 and a KAT 500. I have the FTDI based USB to RS 232 cables (it is critical that they be true FTDI) and wire my station as follows:

1. Top RS 232 on the amp to the PC

2. Bottom RS 232 on the amp to the Flex

3. PC Data from the tuner to the PC

I then use DDUtil to track the Flex and communicate frequency to the amp and tuner. This lets me control the amp and tuner with the PC so that I can operate at home or remotely the same way. It also lets DDUtil automatically set power out based on the status of the amp by band (standby or operate).

You will need to define the cables in SmartSDR. Go to Settings, USB Cables... to set up the cable. I set up both the amp and tuner Cables, but I don't plug the tuner into the Flex because I use DDUtil.

If you don't want to use DDUtil, you would plug the tuner into the Flex instead of the PC.

The Flex works great with the Elecraft amp and tuner, I think you will be happy with your setup.

Post back if you have any problems getting it all working.

• GERRYV
    GERRYV Member ✭✭
    Options
    [{"insert":"Thanks, that helps a lot. I figured since I knew the KPA 500 worked, the KAT 500 must also but, could not find a reference. I see we are neighbors, I live in Westminster.\nGerry, W0GV\n"}]
  • GERRYV
    GERRYV Member ✭✭
    Options
  • KD0RC
    KD0RC Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    Options

Oh, very cool! I am up at Delaney Buttes near Walden for Field Day. All set up, so am going out to do some fishing.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.