Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.
SmartSDR v3.2.39 and the SmartSDR v3.2.39 Release Notes | SmartSDR v2.7.6 and the SmartSDR v2.7.6 Release Notes
SmartSDR v1.12.1 and the SmartSDR v1.12.1 Release Notes | Power Genius XL Release Notes v3.6.21
Power Genius XL Utility v3.6.21 | Tuner Genius XL Utility v1.1.1
PGXL Questions from a new owner
I just received my PGXL and have hooked it up. I love how well integrated it is with my 6600M. It replaces my Expert 2K-FA + 4O3A 1A2R switch that was used to share the amplifier between the 2 radios. There was a considerable reduction in cabling with this: No more serial port cable between the PC, amplifier and 6600M; no more PTT cables between the 6600M, 1A2R switch and amplifier; and fewer coax cable connections. I also notice some reduction in 2nd harmonic cross-band interference. I love it.
I have a few questions that I'm sure seasoned users can answer:
1) When not using Meffa, what drive level does it take to achieve 1500W output with continuous carrier or 'tune', i.e., what is its gain? It takes a higher drive level than my Expert 2K-FA, which only needs about 33 W.
2) I started to play with Meffa. Power output dropped significantly. I increased the drive in steps up to about 60 W but the power output remained the same, about 750W. Is this normal or am I doing something wrong? Does Meffa limit the power output so much?
3) In the PGXL Windows utility, there is a usage chart. It seems to show a much lower output power than the power meter shows. I am thinking that the power meter shows instantaneous power whilst the usage chart shows power averaged over some time interval that includes the time when transmitting CW character elements as well as all of the silent periods between them. Is this a correct understanding?
4) There seems to be no way to remotely power on/off the PGXL. Is that correct? I'm thinking that I need to leave it on in standby when I go to operate remotely.
5) With my former setup, in the SO2R menu in N1MM, I had to set the radio swap transmit lead time to 400 ms to make sure I'm not hot switching the relays in the 2K-FA and 1A2R switch. Can this be set back to 0 ms?
73, Les VE3NNT
Leave a Comment
- 17.2K All Categories
- 100 Community Topics
- 2K New Ideas
- 216 The Flea Market
- 5.8K Software
- 5.1K SmartSDR for Windows
- 74 SmartSDR for Maestro and M models
- 153 SmartSDR for Mac
- 166 SmartSDR for iOS
- 166 SmartSDR CAT
- 88 DAX
- 298 SmartSDR API
- 7.5K Radios and Accessories
- 6.1K FLEX-6000 Signature Series
- 598 Maestro
- 20 FlexControl
- 756 FLEX Series (Legacy) Radios
- 277 Genius Products
- 193 Power Genius XL Amplifier
- 78 Tuner Genius XL
- 6 Antenna Genius
- 71 Shack Infrastructure
- 36 Networking
- 142 Remote Operation (SmartLink)
- 67 Contesting
- 208 Peripherals & Station Integration
- 73 Amateur Radio Interests
- 497 Third-Party Software