Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

SCU still active when I transmit??

Hi.

Ordinarily I select Ant1 to receive and Ant1 to transmit, and am happy and re-assured that my tx mode breaks the receive signal to the SCU.

I have noticed that if I choose to select Rx A (or Rx B), when I go into transmit, my display continues to show the transmitted signal, which is obviously being picked up by my other antenna (inputted at Rx A). It is quite alarming as you can imagine. There shows a massive signal on the panafall display. Is there any way to have the RX A antenna signal to be killed off, as per using Ant1, when I transmit? Or have I missed something in the user manual?

Using 6600M and SmartSDR for Mac.

Your thoughts, please.

Mike. G4GWH

Best Answers

• Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin
    Answer ✓

@Mike Steventon

This is normal and while it looks bad, the radio can handle it.

You can make sure the FDX is turned off so that you don't see it and that will make you feel better.

You may be surprised to know that most HF Radios (if not all) do not ground their antennas while in TX. They are designed to handle the RF voltages they receive by bleeding them to the ground once they get to a certain voltage.

The SCU front end in all our radios is pretty well protected.

• KD0RC
    KD0RC Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    Answer ✓

To add to Mike's response, here is a link to the Full Duplex Power Calculation Worksheet.

This is only important if you are running Full Duplex (FDX) or multiple transmitters with antennas in close proximity. This is most applicable to contest stations, but filling out the worksheet may allay your fears of damaging your radio when you enter the parameters of your station.

I think you will be pleasantly surprised at how much these radios will tolerate (especially the 6600 with its 7th order bandpass filters on the contest bands).

• Mike Steventon
    Mike Steventon Member ✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

Thank you very much for your replies. Well, you learn something new every day! I will be happy with the display from now on, knowing that the SCU is so tolerant. I am not quite into Full Duplex just yet, but thanks for the calculator info. I think I will be just fine with my layout.

Cheers both.

Mike.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.