Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Can I safely shutdown my Maestro B model by just turning off DC power?

Options
Phil N3ZP
Phil N3ZP Member ✭✭

I setup an Internet switch with 4 ports to turn-on my power supply and boot my 6400. I mostly use it to turn the rig on or off when I operate upstairs from my laptop or just to turn it on before going to the shack. I use a switched 2 socket outlet to plug in the power supply. My Maestro supply is is plugged to my main switched outlet and stays on most of the time. I always shutdown the Maestro with the power button and screen. Can I safely shutdown the Maestro remotely by plugging the supply into the switched outlet?

Best Answer

• Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin
    Answer ✓
    Options

Pushing the button does a proper Windows shutdown on the tablet in the Maestro.

If you pull the DC power, then the Maestro will continue to run on the battery in the tablet until it dies. On a Maestro B, that should be ok, but it might extend your restart time. On a Maestro A, I am not sure.

It won't do any serious harm that it won't recover from. I've just never tested it (I never turn my Maestro off).

Answers

• Bob K8RC
    Bob K8RC Member ✭✭✭
    Options

I'm not 100% sure (I have a Maestro 'A') but if you remove external power on mine:

-It first falls back on the main battery pack (rear trap door)

-If not present (or when it's completely drained) it then falls back to the battery pack built into the tablet which provides the screen

-When the tablet is completely drained, it will shut down but you then have a maintenance problem...

So, no, you want to turn it off with the button/screen sequence.

• Phil N3ZP
    Phil N3ZP Member ✭✭
    Options

Thanks for the comments. Maybe I’ll just leave it as is and do the Windows shutdown.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.