Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Can SSDR 2.4.10 go to 2.7.3 Yet?

Options
K1ESE
K1ESE Member ✭✭✭

Some of us were told by the Help Desk to stay with 2.4.10 to avoid CW problems. Should we now move to 2.7.3 or 3.2.34 or stay where we are?

One of my issues was #J7378 which has not been changed in the ChangLog for 2.7.3 or in 3.2.33 (no ChangeLog is shown for 3.2.34).

Again we were told to stay at 2.4.10 and not to go to ANY version higher in either Version 2 or Version 3.

Stay or Go?

Comments

• Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin
    Options

@K1ESE

We discussed this on our morning support scrum and the answer does really depend on the CW problems you are experiencing. It also depends on your environment. How are you operating CW? Keying via Maestro (which then includes network communications) or direct CW keying of the radio.

Between 2.4.10 and now, there are been LOTS of work done on interprocess communications in SmartSDR. All of this improves internal communications including CW.

It was suggested to move up to 2.7.3 in your case and let us know what you experience.

If you are not happy with how 2.7.3 works for you, then you can downgrade back to 2.4.10. You will likely have to open a help desk ticket to do so so we can assist with removing the updated VSP drivers and re-install the original ones. Also, if you are not liking the CW performance at 2.7.3, we would also like to know what you are experiencing.

Most of our Alpha test group (well over half I would guess) are serious CW operators so generally, they call out CW timing issues pretty quickly if they show up in Alpha builds.

I hope that helps out. (I'm looking for the online version of the change log for you).

• K1ESE
    K1ESE Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Mike -

I appreciate the response. However, I have gotten 'try it and see' before and that is less than inspiring. Right now I am using 3.2.31. It works well except for remote CW with a Maestro or over Smartlink.

2 years ago Tim and I spent hours on this issue. See HelpDesk #30458. He concluded "We believe a defect has been introduced in SmartSDR v3 that is affecting the quality of determining the timing characteristics. " It was assigned defect number: 7378.

I was advised to revert to 2.4.9 and then later, due to the SD card problem, to 2.4.10. I was told to avoid Version 3 that I had already purchased.

I do almost all contest operating via remote over SmartLink and using a Maestro. The keying is very poor so we purchased RemoteRig boxes and use them at each end of the connection for improved audio and greatly improved CW keying. The Maestro is just used for the radio control and panadapter.

Since my issue has been identified and since the ChangeLog doesn't list as solved. I was told when I asked this question to the HelpDesk when 3.2.31 came out that since it was not listed in the ChangeLog it was not solved, go back to 2.4.10.

So, unless the ChangLog for 3.2.34, whenever it comes out, says it's fixed, it doesn't make sense to 'try it and see what happens'.

I expect I will have to go back to 2.4.10 for CW over SmartLink. How do I get rid of the new CAT and DAX programs and revert to the old ones? Can I have both on my computer?

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.