Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Why is my SWR different on different SWR meters

Mike-VA3MW
Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin

AKA - The SWR Meter on my Radio is wrong

This is a common question I see a lot. And, it is a good one.

The SWR / Power Meter is an actual standalone device in the radio and calibrated to bench standards. However, there are times that your SWR meter in SmartSDR will show something different than your external SWR / Power meter.

It is best explained in this article by the ARRL. They do a great job at it.

https://www.arrl.org/files/file/Technology/tis/info/pdf/q1106037.pdf

Tagged:

Comments

• Brock
    Brock Member ✭✭
    This is easily the best (i.e., understandable) explanation of SWR I've seen, so thanks for posting. The Smith Chart on my NanoVNA is now less theoretical and more practical too.
  • tomhank
    tomhank Member, Unconfirmed
    edited October 2023
    Standing Wave Ratio is a shortened form of SWR. A gadget that measures the broadcast signal from a radio is an SWR meter, to put it simply. In order to have the best signal possible and to improve the antenna, this is crucial. By doing this, you can ensure the highest possible quality while avoiding radio damage.
    You can find more infor here: https://windupradio.com/swr-meters/

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.