Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

3.2.31 Maestro CW Keying Slow RX Recovery

I have a 6500 with a Maestro and software 3.2.31. It seems to be performing well on CW.

Has anyone else noticed that when listening to audio through the Maestro there is a slow and choppy recovery from transmit to receive when keying using the Maestro key jack and internal keyer?

The delay is only about 30ms but is annoying and in a contest, you would miss the first letter of someone who is responding quickly.

I have tried AGC set to FST. Delay set to 40ms or more eliminates the problem since the delay is longer than the slow RX recovery. I tested with other DSP functions off.

If you key the radio directly instead of the Maestro I have noticed no issue.

Bottom line, it appears you can't do QSK using the Maestro internal keyer. Is that right or am I missing a setting?

Best Answer

• Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin
    Answer ✓

@K1ESE

If you are contesting, your snappiest connection path is to ensure that the Key is connected directly to the radio, not to the Maestro.

We do recommend that for all contesting situations if you are able to do that.

Latency due to WiFi and LAN is noticeable for higher-speed CW operators. Audio is also much faster when your headphones or speakers are direct radio connected.

Give that a try. You can still use your Maestro as you are now.

Answers

• Pat_W5WTH
    Pat_W5WTH Member ✭✭

I experience that delay as well. It actually seems better with 3.2, but I have so many other 3.2 issues right now I wish I would not have updated.

My “solution” is to MOX the Maestro during Keying. Somewhat okay for causal QSOs, but this is an awful workaround for contesting. It also helps if you turn the RX volume down and the sidetone volume up. But again, a poor contest workaround solution.

• DL4RCE
    DL4RCE Member ✭✭✭

Have you tried to set filters from auto to a different level? It may reduce latency.

Regards

Volker

• K1ESE
    K1ESE Member ✭✭✭

Pat, like you said "MOX" is not a solution. Changing the audio level had no effect.

Volker, the problem is there for all filter settings.

Thank you both for your suggestions.

The problem is only with the Maestro connected to my 6500 through an ethernet switch also connected to the router. The problem is only when listening to the audio from the Maestro and keying the radio from the Maestro.

No problem with audio and CW connected directly to the 6500.

• Stan VA7NF
    Stan VA7NF Member ✭✭✭

@Mike Connecting headphones at the radio also permits hearing the N1MM CW keying - Since day 1 with pre-release SMARTSDR V1

• Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin

@Stan VA7NF Yes, this is correct. K1ESE was referencing listening via a Maestro.

As for the CW Sidetone, the CW Sidetone is delivered on the device doing the keying, and when using N1MM with the WinKeyer CAT connection this translates to CW keying on the physical radio and that is where the SideTone is generated.

We are gravely aware of the requirement for the N1MM generated Sidetone to be tunneled back to the active listening position.

• Mike-VA3MW

@Stan VA7NF Yes, this is correct. K1ESE was referencing listening via a Maestro.

As for the CW Sidetone, the CW Sidetone is delivered on the device doing the keying, and when using N1MM with the WinKeyer CAT connection this translates to CW keying on the physical radio and that is where the SideTone is generated.

We are gravely aware of the requirement for the N1MM generated Sidetone to be tunneled back to the active listening position.

• K1ESE
    K1ESE Member ✭✭✭

Mike -

You answered the question and I have marked it as such.

The contest problem is fills. The canned messages from N1MM+ are great, but if you need a fill like "QRX one" or "VA3?W" you risk garbled CW.

The bottom line is that the Maestro is not good at sending CW for remote contesting requiring accurate CW. Rag chew, no problem but when you need to send callsigns perfectly it's not good.

This question was about the RX turnaround and that is also subject to occasional dropouts. I believe your answer is that is what happens when headphones are not connected directly to the radio. That's impossible in a remote setup. I have entered a HelpDesk ticket on the transmit issue. I had hoped that the timing improvements in 3.2.31 would correct the defect #7378. It appears not to be the case.

For remote contesting my workaround is to use RemoteRig boxes instead of SmartLink. RemoteRig is faster, you get the sidetone from N1MM+, and the keying is better, although not perfect, if you play with the 'jitter' settings.

Oh well...

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.