Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Problem Reports

Options
Don Judd
Don Judd Member
I have owned a 6600M for a year now.  Sure seems like a rather high number of glitches being reported on various Flex models.  Are these posts a  sign of abnormally high product problems or just normal operator learning curve discussion?  Could also be reflective of short staffing related to COVID.  Don

Answers

• Ted  VE3TRQ
    Ted VE3TRQ Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Options
    Don, all you will hear here are those experiencing difficulties, or having questions how to do things. You will not hear spontaneous messages of how pleased people are (rarely, anyway). Expect that any forum like this will be filled with problems, complaints, and questions :-)

There are hundreds of happy campers out there that you won't hear from.
  • Neil Friedman
    Neil Friedman Member
    edited June 2020
    Options
    Thousands.
  • Charlie, WA3UTC
    Charlie, WA3UTC Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Options
    Millions
  • Ted  VE3TRQ
    Ted VE3TRQ Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Options
    FlexRadio could wish :-)
  • KI4P
    KI4P Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Options
    i love my 6400! 1 1/2 years and solid as a rock!
  • K3SF
    K3SF Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Options
    i am one of a million...

my 6600m has been flawless
    fro years now
    and

it is one from the first production Lots

Paul K3SF
  • Harold Rosee
    Harold Rosee Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Options
    The best radio I have ever had in my 50 plus years of being on ham radio.  I love my 6600M and can't imagine not having a Flex radio.

W5ZZT
  • FRED  W9TB
    FRED W9TB Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Options
    My 6600M is over 2 years old and it is the best radio I have ever owned. I would not trade it for any other on the market at any price if I had to operate it.
  • James Whiteway
    edited June 2020
    Options
    Don, I also am a happy owner of a 6600M. One of the first batch sent out. It developed a PA problem ( no output) recently and is waiting in line to be sent in for repair. I don't fault the radio as I am a long haul truck driver and may have left it connected while I was out on the road.( I normally disconnect all my radios from antennas and power source when away from home) The only real complaint I have with my radio, is not the radio itself, but with the firmware and software (SSDR) And that is the Automatic Notch Filter, which is ineffective with carriers on top of a QSO. Other than that, ( which can be fixed) I love this radio. The spectrum display is second to none. I have other radios to use till my 6600M gets repaired. And I enjoy them all. But, the closest on to the 6600M, in visual performance is a Xeigu G90 I recently acquired. Fun little radio. But not a 6600M. James WD5GWY
  • Don Judd
    Don Judd Member
    edited June 2020
    Options
    Thanks to everyone for your positive responses.  Good to hear.  I too have been very pleased with my 6600M.   73,  Don
  • Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin
    edited June 2020
    Options
    Hi Don

It is human nature to report problems than praise, so that is what you see.    Also, we have such a large install base that you will also hear more dialogue as that install base grows.   As I know the install base (and, no, I can't sare) I can honestly say that the problems you hear are a small percentage of the entire install base.  

I hope that helps a bit even though I had to keep it a bit vague,

73, Mike

• Bob Needleman
    Bob Needleman Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Options
    James - I am also a fairly new 6600M owner and pleased with it so far. I agree that the ANF filter is not very effective on eliminating interfering carriers. Hopefully, they'll work on that feature in future SSDR updates. Like you, I always disconnect my ant. and power down completely after I'm done - and learned that I must wait at least 45 secs. before disconnecting the pwr. supply, which is a bit strange as I've never had to do that with any other SDR rigs, but guess it takes more time to fully power down the CPU of the 6400M/6600M. 
    Bob K3AC
  • Ted  VE3TRQ
    Ted VE3TRQ Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Options
    The "Off/On" switch on the Flex radios are an example of "soft power switches". They do nothing other than generate an interrupt (or set a register that software reads). Once the switch has been activated, it is up to software / firmware to do the appropriate things to gracefully shut down.

I know it's a bad comparison, as the operating system in the radio is not Windows, but think about how long it takes to actually shut down your PC after telling it to power down - it all depends on what is running. The running processes will be given a signal to shut down, then the master process will set a timer and wait until every process reports. If they don't all report, the timer will expire and a forced shutdown will eventually happen.

In the case of the Flex, there are components that are still powered, and not fully reset unless external power is removed. It is one of these not-quite-powered-down components that will monitor for the On/Off switch to be pressed again, generating a new interrupt that initiates the radio to "run" mode.

Everything takes time :-(
  • Steve K9ZW
    Steve K9ZW Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Options
    Approaching FlexRadio by the problems presented in the Community Forum would be like only reading the troubleshooting & faults sections of the manual for your car.

You would be scared off if you only read the "doom & dread" parts.  

Reality is the exceptions that get posted here are the results of thousands of users logging thousands of on-air hours.  I've had at least one 6000 series radio running constantly since they came out (my oldest 6700 is serial number 11).  I've had MUCH more trouble with my desktop PCs over the seven years of running a 6000 (I unboxed my first 6700 on June 21st, 2013) than the radios - despite being in the early-adopters group where we were installing new software ever couple weeks prior to General Release.  

I've had radios go in for bench work, to receive product upgrades though.  

My operating buddy George W9EVT's IC-7800 has gone in for repair six times over the period, his Orion-II has again lost all its configurations, his TS-990S looks like it is headed for the shop, each of the Alpha-9500s has gone in at least once... yes none of the ham radio gear is immune.  I'm due to update his Flex-6300 & Maestro when it is considered safe to physically visit.

But I've logged over 10,000 QSOs on my Flex-6000s, and George has likely been on the air 14,000 plus hours over the last seven years.

What our FRS community team lacks is steady posting of personal successes?  Might think that is mostly because we are contently on-the-air making QSOs rather than hanging in forums.  BTW I made six FT8 QSOs on my #2 Flex-6700 while typing this reply.

Steve
    K9ZW

Blog:  http://k9zw.wordpress.com 

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.