Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

MultiFLEX and Logging?

TAC
TAC Member ✭✭
edited June 2020 in SmartSDR for Windows
I'm sure this has been covered a number of times but I couldn't find anything specific on how to best handle logging contacts when using multiFLEX on different computers.

I am currently running SSDR v2, Ham Radio Deluxe, and WSJT-X on a single computer and am very happy with the integration of all the packages.

If I upgrade to SSDR v3 and start using it remotely what is the best way to log contacts?  I was thinking maybe run HRD and WSJT-X on both computers and put the log database on a drive accessible to both computers?

Maybe I should just use TeamViewer or Microsoft Remote Desktop.

Answers

• Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin
    edited June 2020
    Hi

For WSJT logging into HRD, I run JT Alert and it will push the logged contact right into HRD.

For remote operations, I use a PC that is local to the Radio for Logging and WSJT and then log into that computer remotely which I believe is the simplest and most reliable way to go.   

There are many reasons I preach this.  

• It prevents or limits any chance of your HF Digital Audio data from being corrupted due to internet latency
    • You can now update your radio with new software remotely if you need to
    • You only have to setup 1 computer, not many, and that makes it easy to keep it backed up to save your data
    • You can now access it from just about any other computer, iPad, etc for a remote connection since there are many Remote Desktop connection clients such as TeamViewer, VNC, Anydesk, Chrome Desktop, and a dozen others
    • When you operate from home, if you do, you don't need to worry about trying to consolidate all your QSO data.
    I talk about this on the latest episode of Ham Radio Work Bench   https://www.hamradioworkbench.com/podcast/remote-station-control

Now, this is how I do it.  You don't have to do it this way, but I have had great success this way and I've been at it since 2005 believe it or not.  I hope it gives you a few ideas to build your own solution.

Mike va3mw

• Alan
    Alan Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    I have two multiplex clients and use HRD for logging.  Also, other computers when I am away from home.

I set up a common HRD log file on my iCloud storage and is accessible from multiple computers.  In HRD log file manager, set up a new log and point it to the desired "remote" file location.  Point the other computers to see the same file.  Also, there is a setting in HRD "sharing" to set up a time period for each HRD log computer to "ping" the common file and update its log.

Set up your other apps, such as JTAlert, to send log data to the computer which is running HRD, as Mike describes earlier.

Any cloud-based storage or network-accessible drive on your local LAN can be set up as same.

Alan
    WA9WUD
  • Erika - KØDD
    Erika - KØDD Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    To expound on Mike's comment we utilized Microsoft Application Server to serve up all sorts of applications in remote offices. We had 300 users. There was a lot of app servers out there that are professionally built to do just that... all these remote desktops are consumer grade. You risk computer crashes, and data loss problems. We virtually had none of that, even for 2008 at the time. Maybe I should check into this again... might assist some of these remote stations along the galactic plain.... DD

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.