Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

USB CAT Cable and Multiplex Question

Options
Alan
Alan Member ✭✭✭✭
edited June 2020 in SmartSDR for Windows
Two Questions.

I am setting up a USB CAT cable to input frequency to a SteppIR controller.  I normally operate two Multiflex clients, client #1 is a desktop Smart SDR for Satellites and client #2 is a Maestro for HF work.

I do not want the SteppIR to tune to client #1.  I desire the SteppIR to tune on Client #2.

Question - I often switch the TX slice between client #1 (2M and 70CM TX) and back to Client #2 on HF bands.....so I cannot use the "active TX Slice" as the USB CAT cable input....correct?  I assume the Stepp IR would retune when a VHF band is seen on client #1 TX slice, or does it ignore the VHF frequency and not move since the new TX slice frequency is out of the range of a Stepp IR antenna?

So, that leaves me to use the slice number as the source of the USB CAT cable input.  There is a pull-down menu on the Flex USB edit menu with A, B, C, D when the "slice" option is selected.

Question -  Which slice, A, B, C, or D on the USB edit menu, do I select to set Client #2 (Maestro), slice A as the controlling sice?

Alan
WA9WUD

Answers

• Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin
    edited June 2020
    Options
    Hi Alan

I can confirm that the Steppir ignores frequencies that it can't tune to.  So, if you have a 20-6M Steppir and go to 80M, you can send it an 80M frequency and it will respond with the frequency it is tuned to.  The same should be true for VHF.

Knowing that, does that help with your layout and maybe change your plans?

Mike 
  • Alan
    Alan Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Options
    Thanks, Mike.  

So....using Flex USB CAT cable for frequency input into the Stepp IR, as you say, the SteppIR will not move when the active slice TX is outside the HF bands, I should use TX Slice in Flex USB CAT cable edit page as the selector.   I was hoping that would be the case.  Multiflex does require a "three dimensional" level of thinking.  Recall the binding question I had some time back, so when I switch to the opposite client, the USB cable binding will move to the other client, on the first TX, and I do not want the Stepp IR to go with it.

How am I leaning on plans??

I am awaiting the FedEx delivery of the antenna.  Delivery has been delayed, giving me more time to explore control options.

I like the way Mark has set up FRStack for SteppIR.  Mark gives the option for antenna type and for CAT or USB cable frequency control.  I am leaning to FRStack as my preferred control solution, just not sure yet whether to use Mark's CAT frequency control from FRStack, or use a direct connect USB cable from Flex Server to the SDA-100.  Mark also has a nice selection of REST commands that I can no incorporate into Node-Red.  Mark also has options for TX  inhibit, when moving, for a variety of antennas as options.

I am leaning to using a hybrid FRStack and Flex USB cable.  FRStack for controls and indication and Flex USB cable for frequency input.  Remote via a MOXI serial to IP converter.  That way, I have a basic frequency control scheme, with or without FRStack running.

I know that PST Rotor has a nice Stepp IR interface, but have not studied it carefully yet.  I know it is only on the AZ version and not on the AZ/EL version, which I use, so I would have to run a second copy of PST Rotor.   I did see in some earlier posts, that you use PST Rotor for Stepp IR control.

I looked at DDUTL, but it does not have the range of options as in FRStack.

Last, was/is the flow you sent me for Node-Red.  I have studied the SDA-100 command structure and your flow, and for now, I think adapting the Node-Red flow is beyond my capabilities.  I do not understand how the frequency and status are integrated into the "set" command.    Besides, the REST commands from FRStack give me the ability to add some frequently used switches and indications to my Node-Red Dashboard.

Mike and others, any experience advice you care to share on pros and cons of SteppIR control in a multiflex environment?

Alan
    WA9WUD

• Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin
    edited June 2020
    Options
    Hi Alan

Correct, the Steppir will ignore out of range frequency requests.

Normally, others do use TX Slice for tracking, but yes, MultiFlex does require that and it will require some co-ordination with the other operator.   I always recommend that when changing bands to keep a close eye on SWR just to be sure.  The good news is that the radio has protection circuits that protect the radio from high SWR issues.

The other concern you need to test is what if one operator is on 20 and the other is on 10.  I have seriously considered this and maybe changing out my Steppir and move back to my TriBander as it allows for much more flexibility. 

Remember that the Steppir needs to be considered as a MonoBander.  That is the performance envelope we invested in Steppir for.  

I have not used FRStack  for your configuration yet, so it will require some testing on your behalf as well.    

The one option I highly recommend is that you keep all command and control local to the radio even if this means keeping a PC local to the radio.  In 16 years of remote operating, I did do serial tunnelling back to my home.  It was cool, but I found it severely limiting and I could only operate from one location.  Now, I use remote desktop software to the local PC.  I even run N1MM on it for contesting.  It also reduces my internet traffic bandwidth.

A local PC allows you to also do software updates to the radio if required.  

I used PSTRotatorAZ for years.  It works very well and another reason to have it installed on the local PC.  As well, you can remotely access it with its built in web server.    

Funny, I got NodeRed figured out, but I can't get my head around REST.  :)  

What you will find is there 100 ways to achieve this.  I'm not saying my way is the only way, it is just one of the ways.

Hopefully others will speak up with their solutions and you can pick and choose the parts you like.

• Mike-VA3MW
    edited June 2020
    Options
    Sooo... just to be clear, a good friend of mine asked me to mention that a Steppir and MultiFlex may not be the best solution.  I also have not used Mustang, so I do not know exactly how it works in a MultiFlex environment as I have the original Fluid Motion controller.    

Please please test and feel free to share your findings and any limitations you may have observed so others can learn from them.

• Alan
    Alan Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Options
    Mike

I can see why your friend's view would be a strong case in a situation where the Flex Clients are not co-located and maybe both operating HF, on different HF bands.

I have a different use case.

I have two multiplex clients both co-located.  Client One is a desktop Smart SDR running my UHF/VHF Satellite station.   Client #2 is a Maestro running HF, where I control the TX Band.  Client #2 Maestro will be primary for Stepp IR frequency and "moving" TX inhibit from the Stepp IR controller.  I am hoping the Stepp IR will not move when it sees, or not, the VHF/UHF Tx frequency.

I am hopeful when I select TX slice on Client #1 for Satellites, that the Stepp IR remains in its position, last commanded by Client #2 on an HF band.

I have tried to run my Sattelite/HF station on one client.  The difficulty was designing Global Profiles.  I need a unique Global Profile for each Satellite (I know you know this, but for the community's info).  Problem was, with one client, when I selected the Satellite Profile, the HF profile went "with it".  Co-located multiplex clients solved the multiple satellite/HF profile issue.  I also like having two separate operating stations, in the shake, for each '"mission".

I will keep the community informed of my testing and hopefully the final solution.

Mike, also, let me know if you want assistance with using FRStack REST / Node-Red commands.  It really opens up a lot of possible usable Node-Red Dashboard uses.  Mark walked me thru it on the FRStack side.  He has a list of steps to take in the "REST Help" on his app.  All are Windows related steps, so right up your ally. Not difficult, but each step is essential.  On the Node-Red side, you just send a properly formatted HTTP command.

Alan
    WA9WUD

PS.   I have an XYL restriction where only a vertical HF antenna is allowed.  I have been using a "non-resonate" flagpole antenna with an HF Auto Tuner.  Works ok with low power, but anything above 500 watts and the reverse power between the tuner and flagpole were just too high, and weird stuff starts happening.  The HF Autotuner did a great job, but why have lots of power if I cannot get it "out the antenna'.  Getting the Stepp IR working will be my next to the last step before ordering my PG-XL.

Alan
    WA9WUD

• Alan
    Alan Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Options
    Update:

My Big IR vertical arrived late yesterday.  I set up the SDA-100 controller with "Data In" from the Flex USB cable, and "Data Out" to my computer running FRStack.   Here are my observations using multiplex and two clients:

- The SDA-100 controller will not move if either the Data in or Data Out command is for a frequency outside the range of the SteppIR.

- When using "slice" as the selector for the USB cable, with multiple multiflex clients online, slice 1 and 2 go to the first client to log in and slice 3 and 4 go to the second client to log in.

- Using the Multiplexed Flex as the frequency source, and "TX Slice" as the selector for the USB cable source, results are as expected for multiplex operation.  First, the USB cable "binds" to the last client to transmit.  Next, it selects the TX slice on the bound client as the frequency source to the Stepp IR controller.   This would not work well in a multiplex, remote to one other client, situation

- I found using "Ant" as the selector for the Flex CAT USB cable source to be the best for a multiplex use case.  For me, since I switch between my satellite station and my Maestro HF station, the antenna in use for each is unique.   Works well.   An added note to the previous concerns about using a Stepp IR when the multiplexed clients are not co-located, a possible way to coordinate is to assign different antennas to each operator.  That way, the Non-SteppIR user would not cause the SteppIR user's antenna frequency to change??

- The Flex USB CAT cable direct to the Stepp IR STA-100 controller was easy to set up and is a very simple solution not requiring any third-party software.

- The SteppIR function within FRStack is very easy to set up, use, and configure with many combinations of antenna types, auto frequency or not, and CAT or no CAT.

Alan
    WAWUD

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.