Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

MAESTRO PROBLEMS

N8AUM
N8AUM Member ✭✭
edited March 2020 in Maestro
I am only addressing this one particular problem with my 1yr old Maestro. Most of the time when this occurs its locks up and only holding down the power switch and restarting in order for it to work again. Today when this happened I was able to change freq and all seemed  ok except for the big gray box saying "radio in use, unable to connect" and when I touched OK it shut down and restarted. I was also running the 6600 in my cave and she was running just fine. Both MAESTRO and my PC in my cave have been running just over 24 hrs when this error popped up.
Any ideas as to what happened ?

Comments

• Paul - K6HR
    Paul - K6HR Member ✭✭
    edited March 2020
    Which SSDR version are you using?
  • N8AUM
    N8AUM Member ✭✭
    edited March 2020
    SRI, forgot to mention that. Running 3.1.8
  • Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin
    edited March 2020
    Is the Maestro connected via wifi or lan?
  • N8AUM
    N8AUM Member ✭✭
    edited March 2020
    wifi, PC on 5G, Maestro 2.4G. Also forgot to mention when Maestro is on the 5G it constantly keeps dropping connectivity. Live out in the sticks so practically no interference from others.   
  • Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin
    edited March 2020
    OK, that is what I thought.

I have seen this before.  What I think happens is that the data flow on the WiFi network is getting interrupted, which isn't a surprise at all.  The Flex Radios move data on the WiFi network that is very time sensitive.  As operators, we can't handle our HF signals being very late (latency).  

It could be that your router is buffering a lot of data and this is resulting in Maestro data being out of sync.  (I'm sure Tim can explain further).

Since both devices are on WiFi, you have quadrupled the impact.  

So, what can you do?
    • Try another WiFi access point
    • See if you can get the radio LAN connected to the Access Point
    • Reduce your data flow to the Maestro by sliding the FPS and RATE sliders in the Display tab (this will help a lot)
    • Try not to use 2.4G since it is bandwidth limited
    Mike
  • N8AUM
    N8AUM Member ✭✭
    edited March 2020
    Hi Mike, 
    I dont understand what u mean by different "access point" ? Radio is the only thing connected to LAN
    I usually have the FPS and waterfall set very low.
    When I try the using 5G on Maestro it locks up every couple hrs and 2.4G seems to last longer. WIFI traffic here very low, 2 PC's and sometimes my laptop. 
  • Stan VA7NF
    Stan VA7NF Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    Mike,
    Your WiFi access point actually has more connections than you think, especially at 2.4G.  Every other WiFi device may have traffic on the same channel, of which there are very few, and has to decide if that traffic is for you.
    A neighbor that is streaming can wipe out your box.

Direct STP/SSTP cable connection is best with a double female and very short UTP cable at your radio side.  This prevents noise pickup and also avoids a ground loop.  Other option get a longer SSTP cable, cut so it reaches to both devices, and install a non shielded connector at each cut. 
  • N8AUM
    N8AUM Member ✭✭
    edited March 2020
    Appreciate ur suggestion but as I stated I live out in the STICKS so very little WIFI activity except for my 2 PC's and laptop once in a while. Have no clue about STP/SSTP ? The whole point of getting a Maestro was so I can use it rather than laptop when I want to go sit outside and enjoy the outdoors. My conclusion is that the tablet being used might be a little on the deaf side ? The Maestro is about 15ft from router so I would ASSume theirs plenty signal strength ?
    I switched the Maestro to 5G couple hrs ago and will let her run to see how long before she locks up.
    TNX 4 ur input
  • N8AUM
    N8AUM Member ✭✭
    edited March 2020
    ok, I set the Maestro back to 5G and it pooped out 2hrs later, just a blank screen now. Put it back to 2.4g, and will see how long she goes
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited March 2020
    This issue has little to do with signal strength and everything to do with throughput.  The Maestro (or any SmartSDR client for that matter), when connected to the radio via a WiFi link is streaming data in real-time.  This is very different than watching videos where the data is buffered to overcome network latency and throughput deficiencies. Buffering data for a real-time process like making QSOs is not an option.

I suspect that your WiFi access point (router) is just not up to the task.  For more information on this, I refer you to the HelpDesk article Reasons for Wireless Network Performance Problems.

What you may have to do is replace your WiFi router with one that is capable of real-time streaming throughput. WiFi routers and access points that are designed for the gaming market meet this criterion.  I recommend getting one of the more recent AC2900 or AC3200 WiFi routers.  Here is a link to the top gaming WiFi routers: https://www.techradar.com/news/the-best-gaming-routers
  • N8AUM
    N8AUM Member ✭✭
    edited March 2020
    Thanks to all of you for your suggestions. Guess I need to start fertilizing and watering my money tree which died yrs ago, maybe with good weather and LOTS of luck it can sprout a few bucks so I can buy a "gaming rated router" as Tim suggest. Being on fixed income suks! If anyone has one at a reasonable price I would be interested!  
    TNX again to all, N8AUM  Vidas
  • N8AUM
    N8AUM Member ✭✭
    edited March 2020
    TNX Tim for taking the time for explaining and possible solution for my predicament !
    73 N8AUM  Vidas

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.