Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Profiles Option on track?

Bill N3HQB
Bill N3HQB Member ✭✭
edited June 2020 in SmartSDR for Windows
     There was a discussion on the Flex-Radio 20 meter net this afternoon about the current approach to managing Profiles.  The consensus seemed to be that an option allowing legacy Profile management would be well-received.  

For my part, I find it necessary as a safety precaution to check each setting on each Control Panel before attempting to transmit in a different mode or on a different band.  Locking down a saved Profile and showing when a change has been made departing from the currently selected Profile settings provides a level of safety and reliability not found in the current approach.  I'm hoping an option to select legacy Profile management remains under consideration.   Thanks for reading this.

Answers

• K3SF
    K3SF Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    I concur with that....

Every time when i want to use my amp,  seems my rcaTx setting get reset to OFF...reset all the bands...next day voila...empty once again
    not to mention power setting  ;-(

i have to go thru a pre-flight checklist every time i use the radio now ;-((

Paul K3SF

• David Decoons, wo2x
    David Decoons, wo2x Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    edited November 2019
     Paul, what third party software is connected to the radio. DDUtil, etc?

In DDUtil if you use autodrive and have BOBC checked it will disable TX1 and set radio to non-amp power output (100 watts by default). 
    Might be worth checking as the DDUtil settings can be overlooked at times.

Dave wo2x
  • K3SF
    K3SF Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2019
    Hi Dave

i have 6600M

I use Virtual PC via a mac and s/w used here in VM with win7 and win10 and only currently use SSDR v3.1.8, WSJTX ....
    i don t  use DDUtil or other PC s/w for the flex

i also use native Macs  and only s/w i use is MLDX  when radio is setup for ssdr V3.1.8 so i can use multi-flex and my ipad

and

other s/w is CocoaModem, FLDIGI, WSJTX, xCat and xDax when i set the radio to ssdr v2.4.9 primarily to run contest and FT8 and other digital modes

Paul K3SF

• David Decoons, wo2x
    edited November 2019
    Ok, just trying to possibly come up with scenario to explain your problem.

try exporting your profiles, then factory reset the radio. Set you TX band settings manually and see if it still happens.

you can always import your profiles again.

Dave wo2x

• Gary NC3Z
    Gary NC3Z Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2019
    It has been well reported to Flex that this new auto save is ****, unfortunately I have come to the conclusion that they do not listen to customers anymore.
  • John - AI4FR
    John - AI4FR Member ✭✭
    edited November 2019
    If by "legacy Profile management " you mean not the "auto save profile" I wholeheartedly agree. The way I see it after reading the statements by Flex is that this auto-save feature was a way to dumb down SSDR in order to stop the overwhelming amount of help desk tickets Flex was receiving from people who either did not understand how to save a profile and what gets saved or were too lazy to read the manual.

I also do the "pre flight" check list now as well. Just today for example in the CQWW CW contest I was running about 500 watts. Switched over to FT8 by way of a profile and the higher power level from the contest was still in effect. Glad i caught that before transmitting.

Please Flex at least allow us to turn it off.
  • Robby Robertson
    Robby Robertson Member ✭✭
    edited November 2019
    It happened to me also. This morning no PTT to amp. Finally found the TX menu had all tx1 check marks removed.

• Bill N3HQB
    Bill N3HQB Member ✭✭
    edited November 2019
    Yes, "legacy"refers to original Flex method of Profile management.
    "Pre-flight" checklist captures the precautionary concept marvelously.
    The preferred original Profile approach allowed you to set it in Profiles and forget it.
  • K3SF
    K3SF Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2019
    yep...that is what i see...
  • KC2QMA_John
    KC2QMA_John Member ✭✭
    edited February 2020
    I am still on V2.49 I cannot and will not upgrade to V3 until I can turn "autosave" OFF!!!
  • WX7Y
    WX7Y Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    I also really dislike the Auto save feature and it needs to be a option for sure. 

Thing I see here is, if I have EVERYTHING set up just right for running my station in my normal settings and save the Profile then operate it Remote with the IPAD / IPhone then I have to load the IOS Profile on the IPAD then when I get back home changing the Profile back to MY Default  profile I have found that IOS device has changed my settings, Then I have to setup my normal Profile settings again all the time with the same Profile name because the IPAD changed  MY Default  before I could manually change it to the IOS profile, This auto save is a JOKE as it is implemented as of SSDR V3.1.8. 

Would be great if it didn't auto save until after 10-15 minutes after you changed Settings and allow us to manually change things IF and ONLY IF we wanted them changed ESPECIALLY to our OWN Profiles. 

If they want to auto change the Default profiles that is one thing but the ones we create should NEVER be touched by anyone but us.

just my opinion 

Bret
    WX7Y

• Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2019
    I realize many will want to re hash all this for something to talk about. The way I operate, the auto save does not effect me at all. But I am very interested to see what Flex plans to do with this feature.
    Steve spent a week on here talking to us all about what we would like to see changed and what we need. He took notes and has all the info he needs from us. Sometime in the future it will be interesting what they change.
  • David - KO1C
    David - KO1C Member ✭✭
    edited January 2020
    I was using profiles like a web browser bookmark.

Now I don't use them at all except for one generic one that makes sure my amp keyline is on.

I wish Flex would fix them -- soon.

• Bill N3HQB
    Bill N3HQB Member ✭✭
    edited November 2019
    It's never incorrect to rehash safety...
    The current Profile management approach puts linear amplifiers at risk.
  • Rick N4RZ
    Rick N4RZ Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2019
    Same here!  No upgrade until I have control up when the profile saves!
  • Andy W3LI
    Andy W3LI Member ✭✭
    edited April 2020
    I do not use profiles at all. I created a profile to drop the power from the Flex to 40W  when using the Amp, but it did not drop but I cought it quick enough that I did not harm the input to the Amp. Just use a few memories now.
  • David Decoons, wo2x
    edited June 2020
    I look at the new profile layout as being the same as a traditional Yaesu, Kenwood, or Icom radio. Wherever you move the power knob, it stays until moved again. So, what did you guys do before Flex came along?

I use DDUtil's AutoDrive feature to set preconfigured drive levels for the amp. When enabled it sets the amp to operate,  the power to the preconfigured level on frequency or band change, and enables TX1. When disabled it sets the amp to standby, TX1 is disabled, and radio is set to 100 watts (or user configured level). The amp operate/standby feature is supported for a handful of amps but any amp can benefit from the enable/disable of the TX1 line.

I look at the new profile layout as being the same as a traditional Yaesu, Kenwood, or Icom radio. Wherever you move the power knob, it stays until moved again. 

BTW, you can set DDUtil to always drop the amp to standby on band change for those that want to verify SWR before transmitting.

Dave wo2x

• EA4GLI
    EA4GLI Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2019
    //sarcasm So how did you manage the Flex until now? I imagine it was a nightmare to you until the new profile feature. Power wheel on my icom is right next to the squelch... When are we getting that? //sarcasm It is a reasonable request to be able to turn off an unwanted feature, no one is asking Flex to do anything that wasn't there before. It is unbelievable to me that this has not been fixed already.
  • Mike
    Mike Member
    edited November 2019
    That is also what I see.
  • Tim K9WX
    Tim K9WX Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2019
    The most extensive (and original?) "profile save" discussion can be found at:

https://community.flexradio.com/flexradio/topics/profile-auto-save-discussion

It seemed to conclude with a statement that the ability to toggle autosave of profiles on and off would be included in a future update of SSDR.  So far, not there yet.  To my great disappointment.

Tim K9WX

• KC2QMA_John
    KC2QMA_John Member ✭✭
    edited November 2019
    Autosave is the one and only issue that has kept me from upgrading to V3 of SSDR.
    I am very happy with SSDR but autosave in its current form is a terrible idea.
    If the reason for creating this "feature " was avoid people from contacting support the way this should have been implemented in my opinion was to ship V3 with autosave On by default with the option for the user to turn off autosave. That way people who like autosave can just leave it on and people that like the way profiles used to work can turn it OFF.
    On my hands and knees please add an On/Off switch for autosave.

Happy Holidays to all of my Ham Radio family.
  • Andy W3LI
    Andy W3LI Member ✭✭
    edited April 2020
    I agree. Just another reason that I have added to my list and not upgraded.
  • Bill N3HQB
    Bill N3HQB Member ✭✭
    edited November 2019
    I would not hesitate to upgrade...
    The new technology gained more than offsets this identified but temporary inconvenience.
    For now, it's "two steps forward, one step back." 
    Flex has never disregarded thoughtful input from its dedicated users.
  • KC2QMA_John
    KC2QMA_John Member ✭✭
    edited November 2019
    I really want to take advantage of some of the new exciting features in V3 but I just cannot have SSDR saving changes on its own, I must have control of what is saved to my profiles after all that seems to be the point of even having profiles in the first place. Unlike a traditional amateur radio a flex radio has way to many settings to keep track of to use a traditional persistence based system.
  • John AE5X
    John AE5X Member
    edited November 2019
    "The new technology gained more than offsets this identified but temporary inconvenience."

For you, not for all of us.
  • John AE5X
    John AE5X Member
    edited April 2020
    The following comment was posted 6 months(!) ago and still nothing:

"We appreciated the feedback and have already begun the design phase of how we will handle things.  Unfortunately, we were not in a position to complete this work in a timeframe that would make sense for this release.

I've learned over the years not to give estimates on how long something will take that is early in the design phase.  There are too many variables and too many following steps for me to be any good at guessing that target.  I can assure you that it isn't as easy as just adding an on/off switch.  :)  Suffice it to say that we have heard loud and clear that this is a desirable feature (disabling Auto Save) and that we are exploring how that will work technically.  Once we have something for you, we'll let you know."

Maybe in 6 more months enough time will have passed for this fix to be made available.
  • Gary NC3Z
    Gary NC3Z Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2019
    This and many other fixes still languishing. Even after the last update there are still big issues with DAX.
  • John - AI4FR
    John - AI4FR Member ✭✭
    edited November 2019
    Oh Gary don't get me started on the DAX issues. ARGH!! Ver 251 and up boosts DAX upon changing bands. Workaround is to bring up dax and change the output setting. I do that with nearly every band change.
  • Dave-N9CHM
    Dave-N9CHM Member ✭✭
    edited November 2019
    Yep, same here (ver 3.1.7), all amp TX checks removed and my mic profile settings are changed too, and I DID NOT change them. This is a REAL pain, and I don't use ANY 3rd party software or digi modes, strictly SSB. Don't really understand why the new autosave profile is removing previous settings..but I can no longer just turn on the radio and go...have to go through the amp and mic profile settings each time to make sure it works. I shouldn't need to import my profiles each time I use the radio...arghhhh.
  • John - AI4FR
    John - AI4FR Member ✭✭
    edited November 2019
    Dave, next time it happens try creating and saving a brand new profile. There were some issues with moving profiles from an earlier version of SSDR. Maybe a new profile will solve the issue. Either way, good luck with it.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.