Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Newbie Question using Maestro and 6600 concurrently

Dan Wolfson
Dan Wolfson Member
edited December 2019 in Maestro
I'm a new user. What I'd like to do is to use SmartSDR with FT8 on the computer, while at the same time listen to SSB on the same band using the Maestro. I'm wondering if I can automatically mute the Maestro while SmartSDR is transmitting FT8? I'm sure there is a simple approach that I'm missing..thx

Answers

• Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin
    edited October 2019
    Yes, with the latest v3, you can do that and it is called multiFLEX.

Mike

• W7NIK
    W7NIK Member ✭✭
    edited December 2019
    So what can the maestro, do ,? Can I do digital modes From the maestro ? Can I log a contact from the maestro? Any connected to the usb will follow the frequency. Steppir,! Rotor control amplifier?
  • Gary NC3Z
    Gary NC3Z Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 2019
    The Maestro can integrate to digital modes and logging programs just like the SSDR program can do. Also it will work with the USB interfaces an allow periphery equipment to follow. The Maestro is really just another SSDR. I usually run FT8 on SSDR at the same time I have SSB tuned in on the M.
  • Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin
    edited October 2019
    Hi Dan

You need to think of it a bit differently than the 'old' way.  The radio provides the information to the users (you) or the digital program (WSJTx) and it can do both at the same time.

The Maestro is for human's to use.  You can hook up a foot switch, mics, headphones and use the VFO's.

On the computer side, WSJTx uses two helper programs to use another receiver (we call it a slice)  for FT8 like operation (or, any other digital mode).   You can use either the Maestro to control the operating frequency or use SmartSDR (the PC program) to control the operating frequency.

Not to make it sound too confusing, but with our design of radio, it allows you to pick and chose just how you wish to operate on a given day.  

You are not limited to a single, old fashion, hardware receiver/transmitter like most other HF radios.  The operating experience is the same, but it allows you to do it more than once at the same time.

It is a bit confusing at first, but this is one of the reason Flex Radio has a 30 day trial program that allows you to test drive a radio and if it doesn't work for you, you can return the radio and will refund your money.  And, we have a 2 year warranty (up to 4 years if you wish to purchase additional warranty).

If you are new to Flex, then feel free to give as a call at the office during business hours.  512-535-4713 and select option 1.  If we can't talk as we are tied up with someone else, make sure you leave us a message to call you back.

73 for now, Mike va3mw
  • Dan Wolfson
    Dan Wolfson Member
    edited October 2019
    Thanks - yes, that is what I'm trying to do - however, when I transmit on FT8 on one slice/panadapter it squeals on the Maestro when I try to do SSB - even though I'm significantly up-band. I'm sure there is a simple configuration that I'm missing..
  • Dan Wolfson
    Dan Wolfson Member
    edited October 2019
    Thanks, yes - I get the theory - what I don't get (and I'm sure I'm missing something simple) is how to prevent hearing the transmit of the FT8 from one slice / panadapter on the other if they are both using the same antenna...

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.