Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

No built in WiFi ??Here is the answer.

FISHULA X
FISHULA X Member ✭✭
edited April 2020 in New Ideas
When I bought my Flex 6300, I wished it had WiFI like the more expensive Flex. I found an easy cheap solution, It plugs in the wall and has an on board Ethernet  port. The Flex plugs into it and it transmits right to my router about 35 Ft away. I could not run such a long wire, it's to cumbersome.  I have dogs and they would trip on it. It's called a Wifi extender but as I said it has the Ethernet port, I just plug it in and named it Flex, When I go remote,  away from home, It also works fine, because I am using it to connect to the internet so my radio is always on line.  No issues yet. When I am at home, I just connect to my WiFi Signal that says Flex. They can be bought under 20,00. Just make sure they have the E port on them and you got an almost built in WiFi.. Try it. Let me know how it works as I am very very happy and saved money.. And NO long Cat 5 cable running through the den into the living room.  I like to get away from my shack and camp out on the couch with my laptop, I also use a totally wireless headset made for telephone that I converted for ham radio. It plugs into the Mic jack and another plug into the headphone jack on the Flex and I'm cord free, Plus I can run it into my rack gear for great audio. This I can only use at home. When I remote away from home, I have to use the PC audio , No problems. And No, It's not Blue tooth. By plugging into the headphone jack, I can use my vox too. Good stuff...And you can't tell any difference that I am on a wireless headset. I swear by it... 

Comments

• John - K3MA
    John - K3MA Member ✭✭
    edited August 2019
    "I wished it had WiFI like the more expensive Flex."

Which more expensive Flex has built in Wifi?
  • [Deleted User]
    edited April 2020
    The only thing that has the built in WIFI is the Maestro. None of the Flex radio's have it built in. 
  • Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin
    edited August 2019
    Correct.  None of the Flex 6000 series radios have WiFi built in.

The reason being is that WiFi is hugely problematic for high priority streaming data like HF radio traffic.  If you are old enough to remember, we refer to it as a telephone party line.  :)  If possible, a Wired LAN will give you so much better experience and is highly recommended.

That being said, we do have a WiFi LAN adapter in our store that you can connect to your radio.  It does work, but it is not perfect.  I spent a few weeks testing it with 'ok' performance.  90% of the time it was perfect.  The other 10% of the time it would drop data packets (this is not a fault of the radio) or it would just drop off my network.   

You can search in the community and see all the testing I have done over the years on WiFi performance for streaming data.  It was an eye-opener.  Today's WiFi is truly busted.

We do sell it as an option for you to try.  If it works, wonderful.  If you have issues, there isn't anything we can do to make it better, unfortunately.  

I hope that helps to explain a few things.  

Mike va3mw

• N8SDR
    N8SDR Member ✭✭
    edited August 2019
    Mike check your email
  • BL7IB
    BL7IB Member ✭✭
    edited October 2019

I also worry if hundred-watt HF signal will cause problem to tiny wifi receiver.    I don't think wifi circuitry has good band pass filter.
  • Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin
    edited August 2019
    No likely since HF is below 50Mhz and WiFi is at 2.4Ghz.  A world away.

The only time it might happen,  would be for RFI issues affecting the DC power line.  I guess it would not be impossible, but the bigger problem would be the switching power supplies causing HF noise.

Mike
  • George KF2T
    George KF2T Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 2019
    The OP has the right idea. The key is good connectivity between the Flex and client PC. A lot of traffic goes between the two, and wi-fi isn’t the best way to do that. The Flex doesn’t need an internet connection, except for SmartLink, so the extender to base station link is really only taxed by the PC.

My setup is similar to what’s described by the OP. Extender in the shack, with CAT cables between it, the Flex, and the computer. Home wifi in a closet (where the service demarc is) about 25 feet away. Runs all day. I use my ipad or laptop on wifi to remote to the computer, again keeping the heavy traffic on wire. 

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.