Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Version 3.x a no go

Options
KC0EM
KC0EM Member ✭✭

Hi,

I bought and installed version 3.x. Now the radio doesn't work at all. It tells me a license is required and even when I click on the refresh button nothing happens other than it says "refreshing radio license state." Help!

Comments

• KF4HR
    KF4HR Member ✭✭
    edited April 2019
    Options
    You might want to try rebooting your Flex and PC and starting the process over.  What happened here was, I initiated the update to v3.0.19, it started downloading.  Towards the end of the download a window popped up indicating a new license was required and it asked for payment.  This is where I made the purchase.  After purchase I was able to open the update.
  • Abed - AB5ED
    Abed - AB5ED Inactive Employee
    edited April 2019
    Options
    Does your radio have Internet access?  Make sure that your radio is connected to the Internet and then reboot the radio.
  • Ted  VE3TRQ
    Ted VE3TRQ Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2019
    Options
    Verify the radio does not have a self-assigned local address (169.x) indicating it has no Internet access. You need the radio connected to a router, or if connected directly to the PC, you must have “Internet sharing” on in the PC.
  • Rick - W5FCX
    Rick - W5FCX Member ✭✭
    edited April 2019
    Options
    Power radio down then back up and see if it works. I had to do that earlier today on my 6700.
  • Tim KE4UK
    Tim KE4UK Member ✭✭
    edited April 2019
    Options

Mine does same thing. I purchased ver 2 in Feb, but Ver 3 says buy. I have done all suggested here but still no go.
  • Abed - AB5ED
    edited April 2019
    Options
    Tim, I have verified your order from our records.  I have fixed the issue and your radio should now be licensed for v3.  Pressing the blue refresh button should get you going. 
  • KC0EM
    KC0EM Member ✭✭
    edited April 2019
    Options

Hi,

I guess the radio needs direct access to the Internet. There are two problems with that. This is a new house and the fiber optics comes right up to the house and into the garage. From their modem, there is wiring to take it to a central closet and Wi-Fi takes over from there. I have no direct access to the Internet without going out to the wall-mounted modem in the garage. That's where the second problem comes in. Because I am disabled, I can't get to that part of the garage. I will have to wait until I can get someone to help. I remember now I had the same problem when Flex upgraded to version 2.x. I suspect more more people will have the same problem as new houses are built with Internet access considerations built in. Oh, I have to have special permission to plug in directly to the modem in the garage from the Internet provider.

VC

KCØEM
  • KC0EM
    KC0EM Member ✭✭
    edited April 2019
    Options

Hi,

Since version 3 won't work for me, if I go back to version 2.x, will I have the same licensing problem? I'd sure like to have a radio that works.
  • N9VC
    N9VC Member ✭✭
    edited April 2019
    Options
    From your WIFI in the closet, can you do a CAT 5 hook-up to the router? That
    would provide your connection. Another possibility could be setting it up at a
    friend's house to get it activated.
  • KC0EM
    KC0EM Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Options

Hi,

I had the same problem when version 2.x came out. The Wi-Fi box has only two connections – the power and the cable in from the modem in the garage. There are now other direct sampling radios on the market and it's looking more and more like that will have to be my solution.
  • David Decoons, wo2x
    David Decoons, wo2x Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    edited April 2019
    Options
    What about a 5 port Ethernet switch in the closet? Then you can run an Ethernet cable from the radio to the switch. The radio does not need to be physically located near the computer. You might think about relocating the radio to have an Ethernet connection direct to your network of you are ever planning on remote operation. Dave wo2x
  • KC0EM
    KC0EM Member ✭✭
    edited December 2019
    Options

Dave,

The Wi-Fi box is nothing like we might buy at a big box store. It's matte black with the two connections, power and the line in from the modem. Even the antenna seems permanent. Oh, there is a little tiny red LED power light. It doesn't belong to me. It's part of the Internet package.
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2019
    Options
    Dave, maybe call your internet provider and tell them what your having trouble with. I had a problem here after buying a new printer, it would not connect wirless. I call my provider and they went into my router and made some changes and now it all works well. Never had any problems with my radio connections.
  • Tim KE4UK
    Tim KE4UK Member ✭✭
    edited April 2019
    Options
    thanks … resolved

• Ted  VE3TRQ
    Ted VE3TRQ Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2019
    Options
    Can you not use a WiFi bridge / range extender to create a wired network from your WiFi? There appear to be many available.
  • KC0EM
    KC0EM Member ✭✭
    edited December 2019
    Options

Hi,

There has sort of been a solution. The cable company will come out and we can run a 50 or 75 foot CAT 6 cable temporarily out the front door and around the house through the front of the garage and finish the update. We can't do it tomorrow because the snowstorm predicted, so I will have the privilege of owning a brick instead of the radio for a while longer. A word of caution here – don't buy a brand-new modern home designed to handle fiber optics communications! I wish I understood why an Internet connection was required when we can download the software??
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2019
    Options
    I'm not understanding, how would you download the update without an internet connection?
  • Paulo CT1ETE
    Paulo CT1ETE Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Options
    I am having the same problem. Asks me to buy even if I bought my Flex in 2019.
  • David Decoons, wo2x
    edited April 2019
    Options
    Paoulo, Open a Help desk ticket Include the serial number of your radio. Dave wo2x
  • Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin
    edited April 2019
    Options
    Yes, if you are having issues, please open a helpdesk ticket.  You will need your radio ID and serial number.  
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zO90kVkIYM8
  • Abed - AB5ED
    edited April 2019
    Options
    Paulo, if you purchased your radio in 2019 and it hasn't been licensed for v3, we'll fix it for you.  Please open a helpdesk ticket with the order invoice to expedite the process.
  • Geoff AB6BT
    Geoff AB6BT Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2019
    Options
    I have the same question, but perhaps the computer has Wi-Fi and the radio is connected only to the computer???
  • Ted  VE3TRQ
    Ted VE3TRQ Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2019
    Options
    Hi VC. You did not say what kind of Flex radio you have. If it is not an “M”” radio, you obviously have it connected to your computer, and I presume that computer is connected to the Internet via WiFi. If so, all you need to do is “share” that WiFi connection on your PC - your Ethernet-connected radio then has access to the Internet through your PC. It is not trivial, but absolutely works - I do it often using a Linux PC, and Windows has the same capability. If you have an “M” radio, and do not have it connected to your PC, it’s not much more work as long as your PC has an Ethernet wired capability. COnnect your radio to the PC via a Cat5/6 jumper, and again configure sharing of the WiFi connection. If you have no Ethernet wired (RJ45) connection on your PC, you have a bit more hardware to buy - a WiFi bridge to Ethernet. Then connect the bridge and wire it to your radio - it will then share your network and its Internet access.
    There are many people on here who can help you out. Ted VE3TRQ
  • N9VC
    N9VC Member ✭✭
    edited April 2019
    Options
    If you're directing your comment to me. I did not realize I posted something that
    said I had a problem hooking up for version 3. I have been running it since
    yesterday. Or was this for someone else?

Jim N9VC
  • Ted  VE3TRQ
    Ted VE3TRQ Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2019
    Options
    (That was for KC0EM, who signed with his initials “VC” :-)
  • KC0EM
    KC0EM Member ✭✭
    edited April 2019
    Options
    That is correct.
  • Ed.G
    Ed.G FlexRadio Employee ✭✭
    edited April 2019
    Options
    KC0EM if your computer has Wi-Fi and the radio is connected directly to the computer there is a process that can make this much easier. See the following link:
    https://helpdesk.flexradio.com/hc/en-us/articles/115003741486-Enabling-Network-Bridging-for-Link-Local-direct-connected-FLEX-6000s

This way you won't have to run any other cables - etc. 
  • Logan KE7AZ
    Logan KE7AZ Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Options
    I'm having the same problem.  Help Desk ticket submitted.  But this shouldn't have been a problem, A company that makes software defined radios should have a "bullet proof" process for distributing its software.
    Logan KZ6O
  • David Decoons, wo2x
    edited April 2019
    Options
    It works fine if you have the radio connected to the router directly as well as the PC connected to the router.

Some users cannot configure their installation to have the radio able to talk to the Internet, which is required to do updates.

Ed G and Eric posted links to Help Desk articles to get network bridging working.

The biggest problem is there are so many different configurations of home networking that some will not work.

Dave wo2x

• KC0EM
    KC0EM Member ✭✭
    edited April 2019
    Options

Ed,

Thanks for your help. I tried to follow the help desk item without any success. I could not establish a bridge because things were different than what was pictured on the help item. When I finally found something that looks similar and I tried to establish a bridge, I got the error message I am attaching. The cable company is supposed to be here later today if they can make it through the snow. That worked with the last upgrade, so I'm sure it all worked out too. I'm afraid this will be my last attempt at an upgrade. I think I will sell my 6500 because as a disabled vet I can afford upgrades.image

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.