Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

CW Sidetone from Remote "how-to-video"

Options
VE6WZ
VE6WZ Member ✭✭
edited June 2019 in SmartSDR for Windows
I have uploaded a video to my YouTube channel that shows the detail of how I set-up the PC at the remote to return the Flex CW sidetone. Included is an explanation of the basic wiring and PC sound setup, as well as a demonstration of how it works.
Also discussed are the benefits of returning the sidetone this way and logging remotely vs. logging at the home location.
Go here to view the video:
https://youtu.be/MFCllprEel8

Answers

• Tim VE6SH
    Tim VE6SH Member ✭✭
    edited March 2019
    Options
    FB Steve Tim VE6SH
  • AH0U
    AH0U Member
    edited June 2019
    Options
    Looks interesting but the audio is too low for me to hear... sri
  • Joe N3HEE
    Joe N3HEE Member ✭✭
    edited March 2019
    Options
    Very clever workaround Steve !  I hope Flex will include the sidetone in the DAX audio stream in V3 ?  Lot's of people have complained about that.  
  • Steven WA8Y
    Steven WA8Y Member ✭✭
    edited March 2019
    Options
    You need Win10 Pro in order to use Remote Desktop. I have tried Team Viewer and RealVNC but no sound. According to Wikipedia, only Remote Desktop delivers sound to the remote site and for that the Shack PC must have Win Pro. It looks like you have a work around (see video; 13:00 to 16:00) that requires you to physically be at the Shack PC for set up.
  • VE6WZ
    VE6WZ Member ✭✭
    edited March 2019
    Options
    TeamViewer has always returned sound from any of the machines I have used over the past 5 years. XP, W7 W10 etc...at both ends. It returns audio to my iPhone.
    I hear ALL sounds from the PC, or any PC on my TVer group...I have 6 computers in my group.
    Maybe check audio settings in the TV application on both Machines. EXTRAS>OPTION>Audio Conferencing...make sure the microphone device is set to Default device. Also, make sure your levels are set correctly.  You should hear EVERYTHING that comes out of the speakers at the remote PC...music, computer alarms, W10 start sound, etc. 

The "workaround" I describe in the video is ONLY to feed the CW sidetone Audio from the Flex into the PC so TeamViewer will stream it back.
    Perhaps go to TeamViewer help to check your settings regarding sound. I assure you it works on any machine. I also use Splashtop remote desktop and it does the same, without changing any settings.
  • VE6WZ
    VE6WZ Member ✭✭
    edited March 2019
    Options
    Also...besides Audio Conferancing settings,make sure this is set under Remote control in the TVer options:
    :

• KC9EI - Dave
    KC9EI - Dave Member ✭✭
    edited March 2019
    Options
    nicely done Steve
  • Andy - KU7T
    Andy - KU7T Member ✭✭
    edited March 2019
    Options
    An alternative to TeamViewer may be the native Microsoft RDP. I have tried TeamViewer and AnyDesk and RDP, and RDP gives much better quality of audio and video and less latency. Drawback is that you need to open ports, but for better quality it may be worth it for you.  I am piping a 4k screen resolution back and do not want to rescale it (because otherwise all my icon positions are being messed) and 4k requires really fast speed and low latency and RDP is best. For lower resolutions, other tools may work same.

I would have never tried an alternative, but TeamViewer is not allowed to be installed on my work laptop, so I was looking for alternatives. 

Andy
    KU7T
  • Tim VE6SH
    Tim VE6SH Member ✭✭
    edited April 2019
    Options
    Thanks Andy. I will have to try RDP. We too have a prohibition with installing Temaviewer on work computers. AnyDesk works, but I find the audio/video lacking in quality. 

Tim VE6SH
  • Andy - KU7T
    Andy - KU7T Member ✭✭
    edited March 2019
    Options
    Yes, AnyDesk is very, very lagging. The mouse pointer takes 2 seconds to be where I want it to be... Give RDP a try and let me know if you have questions...

Andy
    KU7T
  • Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin
    edited March 2019
    Options
    Hey Tim -- I'll be out in VE6 land in April.

RDP becomes problematic when you want your sound devices sent to the remote user.  I think this will also affect DAX since it is a sound card from Windows perspective and it might break DAX if you don't have "play on local computer" selected.

Once the ice melts and I can get to my station,  I might try VBAN Audio Network and see if I can do it that way.  https://www.vb-audio.com/Voicemeeter/vban.htm

I guess the other option is to pump it back via Skype.

Mike 

• Tim VE6SH
    Tim VE6SH Member ✭✭
    edited March 2019
    Options
    Thanks Mike. I will look at that. Let me know if you make it to Calgary. Tim VE6SH
  • Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin
    edited March 2019
    Options
    I will be at GPS Central on the 12th and then at FleaMarket on the 13th.  I'm planning on Lake Louise on the 14th.  :)
  • Tim VE6SH
    Tim VE6SH Member ✭✭
    edited March 2019
    Options
    Great!i am hoping to be back on the Friday from a business trip. WZ and me usually share a table at the flea market. Snow is good at Louise this year. Tim

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.