Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

HRD DM780 Anomalies with new Flex 6600M

Mike Peron
Mike Peron Member ✭✭
edited April 2019 in Third-Party Software

I’m a long time happy HRD user last using v6.4.0.780 (Aug 2017) with my Kenwood TS-590 and Navigator interface on an old Windows 7 based Laptop. Finishing the migration to my new Flex Radio Systems 6600M with latest HRD v6.4.0.905 Beta release (Nov 2018) loaded on a newer Windows 10 laptop. PC is connected to LAN using Wi-fi since the small HP x360 Spectra has no Ethernet receptacle. Loaded Flex’s SmartSDR v 2.4.9 on the new PC and it is successfully controlling radio on the PC. I am also posing these questions to the HRD Forum as soon as I can find their "New Post" button (hi, hi)

All seems to be working (CAT and PTT) but have noticed the following anomalies that have me stumped

1. With SmartSDR running on the PC, I manually launch HRD and all three programs load (Rig Control, DM780 and Logbook). At the end of this startup sequence my Flex radio gets keyed by HRD with the Radio power button turning red. This is a “pseudo Tx” mode since there is no RF output and the Radio is still outputting Rx audio. Input current jumps from ~3 amps on Rx to ~6 amps on Tx. Clicking on Rig Control’s “Tx” button modes it back to Rx. I can successfully decode PSK-31 QSOs with the yellow “M” bandwidth automatically set around the customary 31 Hz. I can also send Macro test messages with RF output so I know the soundcard settings and PTT is correct. What could be causing this initial un-commanded “pseudo” Tx mode? Even when starting the software suite using the Flex-recommended SliceMaster 6000 application, only DM780 is launched automatically but the Tx is still triggered. I then must manually open HRD's Rig Control to turn the yellow Tx button off.

2. On CW the yellow “M” bandwidth bar is stuck at 2000Hz wide. If I slide it over a CW-filtered (400 Hz) signal, the decoding works fine. With my former Kenwood setup, the width of the CW “M” bar would automatically be set to a very narrow bandwidth (~30-35 Hz). Why is this happening and how can I get the M bandwidth to narrow when selecting CW? When selecting RTTY (AFSK), the bandwidth is properly set and it transmits fine.

3. When sending a CW test Macro there is a huge 1-2 second time lag (latency) from the time I click on the Macro to the time the RF initiates. My Internet connectivity is a reliable 100+ MBPS down and 10+ MBS up with a ping of ~30-40 ms. I have not yet tested the speed of the LAN it self through my router only since I have never had to do this before.

I have loaded CWSkimmer and just getting to know it. I probably should be using other apps as well but I like the seamless integration of HRD's Logbook function and decoding/coding of DM780. Any comments and suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance

Best 73,

Mike WB6UTW

Comments

• Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin
    edited April 2019
    A few things.

For the Flex going into TX, there is only 1 way that can happen and that is something in DM780 is probing your Com PTT ports and the DTR or RTS levels, or it is the radio part of HRD doing a search for the radio resulting in the same thing.  To test, **** your PTT ports in SmartSDR CAT and see if it still happens.  This is an HRD configuration issue.  

Now, the delays.  Sadly, Ping is a great tool, only if something is failing.  It isn't very good for networks that are already working, even slowly.  It is easy to make a LAN network work.  It is hard to make it work well.  And, WiFi being the party line it is, don't rule it out.  I would recommend that you buy a USB/LAN adapter for your computer for about $20 and test it hardwired and with  no WiFi.    This may help to  isolate the CW issue.  I would be very surprised to find the delay in the HRD or the Radio, so that only leaves the pieces in the middle to focus on first.

If you are using SliceMaster, make sure you don't have duplicate PTT methods (CAT or Hardware keying).  

If it was me, I would clean out all my HRD settings and start over for CAT and PTT control.    Also, you don't really need the radio part of HRD if you are using SmartSDR.  You can use MiniDeluxe to handle the SmartSDR CAT to DM780 https://github.com/krisp/MiniDeluxe/wiki.  In fact, using MiniDeluxe might help to debug things.

Try changing some things and let us know how you make out.

Mike va3mw

• K1DBO
    K1DBO Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    ...also, if you are using Slice Master, there's no need for MiniDeluxe.  When Slice Master launches DM780 for you it will also establish the "rig control" connection between it and the radio via Slice Master's implementation of the HRD TCP protocol. 

Slice Master can also provide rig control for HRD Logbook by enabling it's HRD TCP TX Listener.  This implementation of the HRD protocol has the added advantage of following your TX slice. But since Slice Master doesnt launch Logbook for you, you'll have to make a minor change to Logbook's configuration so it will know to connect to Slice Master.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.