Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Tune & SWR Meter

Bob W8RMV
Bob W8RMV Member ✭✭
edited April 2019 in New Ideas
When I hit TUNE on my older rigs, the meter will automatically toggle over to the SWR meter for obvious reasons.  So far I haven't been able get my 6400M to do that.  If there is no way to currently do that, then I request that feature.  - Bob
2 votes

Open for Comments · Last Updated

Comments

• Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited February 2018
    On the M models, you have to select the meter you want to be displayed or use the Meter option to show several meters at the same time, one of which can be the SWR meter.
  • Bob W8RMV
    Bob W8RMV Member ✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Yeah, I got that, thanx Tim.  I see I can show 3 different meters for one slice, when running one slice.   Still, I find that when I use that very convenient TUNE button on the front panel, that I'd like the SWR meter to toggle on, to aid manual tuning if has not been selected prior.  My Kenwood & Yaesu do this & it is what I am used to and find desirable.  So the feature request remains.  That old saying about when in Rome do as the Romans do, maybe applies here while using a Flex.  On the other hand, this is a computer based unit & sometimes, s/w is easier to change than hardware.  The operative word is "sometimes".  I know full well that S/W still requires specifications, creation & validation, just like hard parts.  It is not a snap of the fingers so many think it is.  Thanx - Bob
  • Bob K8RC
    Bob K8RC Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Bob,

You'll find a number of differences in this radio. The reason old ham radios toggled meters is that meters were expensive and they only had one. That paradigm carried over even when they went graphical. 

Professional transmitters (I was a broadcast transmitter engineer for over 40 years) have an abundance of individual meters to allow you to scan all indications at once. So I enjoy having all the individual meters.

As for, specifically, Kenwood & Yaesu, my TS-940SAT and FT-1000D have gathered dust since I got my Flex.
  • Bob W8RMV
    Bob W8RMV Member ✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Thanx, Bob for the comments.  In my old job, we looked for best practices (BP).  That process continues shape my thinking.  Old radios can teach new radios, BP's.  Of course, some BP's are open to interpretation or subjective.  That is partially what I was trying to say.  Can't say I have found a terrible radio yet.  Some do better in some areas & others do better.  The 6400M is a fine rig.  I am trying to adapt to the Flex way.  Still, they are some BP's (my view) that could be improved for me & maybe others.  Nothing critical was intended or implied.  That is why I posted this thought in the IDEAS tab of this forum and not PROBLEMS. - Bob
  • Bob K8RC
    Bob K8RC Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Well then, welcome to the evolution!

When I started in TV (after several years in radio) two-inch videotape, 16mm film, plumbicon cameras and 100s of vacuum tubes in the transmitter were all best practices and state of the art. Now none of those things exist in a station.

I admit that I do have some vacuum tubes left in my ham station in my Collins KWM-2A but I have "solid-stated" its power supply.

I am also very aware of "what you're used to...". I got my TS-940 in 1984 and used that old girl for 20 years. I actually moved it off to one side since the frequencies were displayed on my monitor and I could "touch type" all the familiar buttons on the front panel with one hand and without looking.

I got an FT-1000D from a friend because it was surplus to his needs and I picked up 3db while still running barefoot. (No 220V service in the shack there for a while). Ten years later, I was just getting as familiar with the Yaesu as I was with the Kenwood when the Flex came along. 

While it did take a while to transition, I now have been asked to slow down a bit when demo-ing to someone new to the radio.

Remember, "Best Practices" are never static, but must grow & evolve or the enterprise which they support will suffer.

And that was MY point.

73, Bob

BTW, if you ever want to take a stab at something that is complex to the point of intimidation, find yourself a Flex 5000a to play with.  I just got a 5000C with the V/U card for satellite work and PowerSDR is....ahhh...interesting. You will appreciate how streamlined and integrated the 6x000 SmartSDR interface has become.
  • Rich McCabe
    Rich McCabe Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Makes sense to me on the meters. Be nice to toggle through desired meters while in TX and then in RX. Retain proper meter for each.

Along those same lines I would like to be able to adjust the pan adapter noise floor level and gain during TX and RX. My RX desired settings never look good on TX.
  • Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin
    edited April 2019
    There are a number of meter options.

If you aren't aware, you can tap through the meters.  If you are running 1 slice, you can use both the left and right meter and set it to the setting you wish.  

If you tap the bottom METERS> button you can add up to 6 meters down the right side and have them show your preference.  This works on the M models and Maestros.

Mike

• Rich McCabe
    Rich McCabe Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Can only run six if you want to see the same meter twice :)

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.