SmartSDR v3.7.3 and the SmartSDR v3.7.3 Release Notes | SmartSDR v2.12.0 and the SmartSDR v2.12.0 Release Notes
SmartSDR v1.12.1 and the SmartSDR v1.12.1 Release Notes
Power Genius XL Utility v3.8.4 and the Power Genius XL Release Notes v3.8.4
Tuner Genius XL Utility v1.1.20 and the Tuner Genius XL Release Notes v1.1.20
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.
I'm A Bit Disappointed in V2.0
I would preface this post by saying I'm
very happy with my Flex 6300 and how it performs. I wouldn't trade
it for any current superhet offering. But, I'm rather disappointed in the V2.0 release of SSDR. A few years back it was mentioned the it was up to FRS to make V2.0 worth the cost and keep Flex on the forefront of SDR – something that would make it like getting a new radio. I was eagerly anticipating something that would be really appealing to me. Maybe v.2.1 will do it.
Reading Tim's account of the new features in SSDR v. 2.0 it appears there is nothing for me.
1. SmartLink I would never use as I prefer to operate my ham station from home and when I am away I want to get away from ham radio. The smaller screen implicit in remote operation would not be acceptable for me. Why would I want to operate my ham radio from a sidewalk cafe in Rome?
2. Pop-Out Panels would be of little use to me as the only panadapter I use must be docked. If I need another panadapter (I only get two) they both fit nicely on my 24-inch monitor. My second monitor is filled with add-on software that improve my usability of the flex.
3. Improved Dynamic range for 6300 – This is purported to be included in the V1.11 release and it probably won't make much difference to me anyway.
4. Support for N1MM Spectrum Display – I really don't use N1MM. I tried it and didn't much like it. I'm not a contester and already have a decent logging program.
5. Additional RF Preamp for 6700 – N/A
6. New TURFs – N/A
7. New Flex VSP Driver – I assume will also be in the V1.11 release.
8. SSDR for Maestro – Don't have or want a Maestro
9. SSDR for IOS – Don't have any Apple equipment – something for Android might entice me.
So there's nothing there for me and I'm disappointed in FRS. What would have excited me? Improvements to the basic radio operation - not just remote operation and contesting.
A new “skin” on the operational meters (S-Meter, Power Level, etc) and controls with colors and size that I can read. I find the current implementation poor. I have some add-ons which improve things, but it would be nice to have it integrated.
Improvements in the DSP functions (not that the current ones are bad).
Optional inclusion of dx spots and/or band limits on the spectral display. CW Skimmer-type display for CW/Digital modes.
Integration of Digital mode decoding into SSDR
Some other new ****-**** operational feature that I haven't thought of but really turns me on ;-).
Yes, I know, it's not about me and FRS is putting their design resources where they perceive the most appeal (and upgrade revenue). So having gotten this off my chest I'll just stifle my disappointment, go back into the woodwork, and go enjoy my "obsolete" rig.
- All Categories
- 239 Community Topics
- 2.1K New Ideas
- 472 The Flea Market
- 7.1K Software
- 5.9K SmartSDR for Windows
- 127 SmartSDR for Maestro and M models
- 326 SmartSDR for Mac
- 238 SmartSDR for iOS
- 220 SmartSDR CAT
- 158 DAX
- 347 SmartSDR API
- 8.5K Radios and Accessories
- 6.9K FLEX-6000 Signature Series
- 721 Maestro
- 39 FlexControl
- 834 FLEX Series (Legacy) Radios
- 704 Genius Products
- 379 Power Genius XL Amplifier
- 243 Tuner Genius XL
- 82 Antenna Genius
- 225 Shack Infrastructure
- 150 Networking
- 358 Remote Operation (SmartLink)
- 119 Contesting
- 565 Peripherals & Station Integration
- 113 Amateur Radio Interests
- 796 Third-Party Software