Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

How much Output Power out of Power Genius XL Amp with 110VAC versus 220VAC input

2»

Answers

• k3Tim
    k3Tim Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 2017
    If one could get 208 3 phase the AC to DC conversion would be really smooth so the caps wouldn't have. Realizing this is a switching supply it would seem 3phase would make the supply happy. 
  • Varistor
    Varistor Member ✭✭
    edited July 2017
    If you are thinking of the 1K80 as a higher power drop in replacement of other LDMOS chips you are missing the point of these chips. By many miles. The 1K80 opens up huge design opportunities because of the higher drain voltage. 65V is ideal to have two chips in a push-pull design, without a combiner, with a totally linear output transformer from 1.8 to 60 MHz. None of the current LDMOS chips offer such flexibility. The solid state amps world is full of copycats repeating an old Motorola design from the last century.
  • Michael Aust
    Michael Aust Member ✭✭
    edited July 2017
    Like to know more about the 65V supply 
    Is it Mil Spec for your Airplane?
    73 Mike

• Varistor
    Varistor Member ✭✭
    edited July 2017
    At a bit over $800 the power supply is the single most expensive part of our design. For most applications a PSU like this one will be plenty: http://s.aliexpress.com/mEf63uuu Assuming 60% efficiency you should be able to deliver about 2400W out. That is, the amp would have plenty of headroom to do RTTY at legal power all weekend long. The key, again, is redesigning the output transformer and the RF deck to take full advantage of the higher drain voltage. The century old EB104 board and the NXP reference designs are poor choices for the 1K80. If you look at what people are doing with the current LDMOS chips, they all show a drop of power at about 15 MHz. The standard answer is that this is a "feature" of the chip and the chip is not intended for Ham use. This all goes away with a properly designed output transformer and you get a beautifully flat Pout curve at full power from 1.8 to 60 MHz.
  • Peter K1PGV
    Peter K1PGV Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 2017
    @N2WQ Are you going to make your design public? Peter K1PGV
  • Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 2017
    The 1.8 kw chips I believe are going to be used in high end microwave ovens. I saw an article somewhere, I think it was EE times. They can modulate it and do things like beamforming without having a mechanical turntable. It's so good they can boil an egg without water and without it exploring. I'm just looking forward to defrosting meatballs without a steaming outside and ice on the inside :)
  • Varistor
    Varistor Member ✭✭
    edited July 2017
    The short answer is that most likely not. Our goal is to transition my friend's existing line of GU74-based amps to solid state. The long answer is that we are not doing anything super secret. It is basic application of Ohm's law, experience designing broadband matching networks, and baseline amp design experience.
  • Michael Aust
    Michael Aust Member ✭✭
    edited July 2017
    @n2wq

Yes, your right, simply paralleling of two 1K80's devices with package parasitics Cout on the Drain will cause the dip for the proper RLopt Load Line >15MHz.

Using a transformer removes this issue by looking at the One Port Large Signal model, helps in wider BW ( Fano's Limit )

The downside is that %PAE takes a hit with a transformer but the upside is 
    better Bandwidth, so it's a tradeoff in SSPA design and as well as $$ cost.

The Optimum RLopt on the output for a Class AB amp is DCIV Delta Delta Vds/Delta Delta Ids and Cout, from there the package parasitics need to taken into account with
    3D EM Solver like HFSS CAD Simulator unless you have actual Load Pull Data from a Load Pull Tuner.

Load Pull Systems to see the affects of Fundamental and Harmonic terminations
    are important in the design approach for a more refined approach in SSPA
    design

Harmonic terminations will affect %PAE and level of the Imd's ( 3rd, 5th, products's) as you reach P1dB and into saturation 

A bad RLopt, will cause the ellipse of the Load Line to shift (Circle across the DCIV plane**  ) due to Cdrain effects also to cause lower Pout, higher gate currents, etc.
    ( ** RF swing across the Delta Vds and Delta Ids swings from the ideal DCIV 
    curves of ( Pulsed DCIV on device to prevent sag in DCIV curves and Non-Linear Model Characterization) the 1K80 device )).
  • Peter K1PGV
    Peter K1PGV Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 2017
    >The long answer is that we are not
    >doing anything super secret. It is basic
    >application of Ohm's law, experience designing
    >broadband matching networks, and baseline
    >amp design experience.

LOL.  Yes, of course.  That's the definition of what's required to build any PA, really.  There's an awful lot that's contained in that "experience" thingy, though.

I was just thinking that the ham community could benefit from a fully-formed, well considered, reference design for such a cutting edge amp.

Peter
    K1PGV

• Michael Aust
    Michael Aust Member ✭✭
    edited July 2017
    PA design is more than Ohm's Law
    LOL
    Mike
    PA designer
  • Varistor
    Varistor Member ✭✭
    edited July 2017
    Honestly, I am surprised that so much attention is being paid to power and SWR ratings than to T/R delay time, especially in SO2R mode. The issue is that in SO2R mode you cannot select the proper band for the LPF prior to PTT from the radio (you don't know which radio will "ask" to TX). So the issue becomes how quickly can the controller determine the proper LPF band selection. 6-10 ms for the relay. Maybe 10-20 ms for the controller? How about the broadcast packets? It quickly adds up.
  • Varistor
    Varistor Member ✭✭
    edited July 2017
    Prior to embarking on this journey I had zero amp knowledge despite my formal engineering degree. Working with someone who's been designing, building, and selling PAs has been an amazing experience. At the same time, it's been fascinating to discover how much inertia there is in the SS space. I ask questions for a living and applying that background to amp design has taken us to many unexpected answers and solutions!
  • Michael Aust
    Michael Aust Member ✭✭
    edited November 2019
    Maybe folks here hoped 1K80's could be simply dropped in place of the 1K50's with a 
    more hefty supply, but there will be tradeoffs to that !
    @n2WQ ... A lot of great comments here
    Mike
    SSPA designer here at a big DOD company
  • Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2020
    I have been learning so much about solid state PA design just from reading this stuff, and writings by others in various places. I am in the process of building my own (for VHF), and while I did learn "the basics" and have a MSEE, a lot of this is brand new to me. What is cool though is that I can apply my knowledge of software and systems to amp design and integration. Should be a fun ride. 

Thanks for the technical posts. They are very enlightening. 
  • Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 2017
    I didn't think so! But from what I gather, the 1K50 can be used as a drop in replacement for other devices such as the BLF188XR, with only minor adjustments for bias? I was told that SPE replaced their 1.2kw devices in the 1.3K-FA with 1K50H, because of parts shortage of the 1.2kw devices. 
  • Chris DL5NAM
    Chris DL5NAM Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 2017
    ... we will do also :-)

• Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 2017
    I was planning to get a 2nd circuit installed here so I could EME while working HF, lol.

• Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 2017
    I must say, you guys have a really nice piece of kit with the B26-PA. 
  • Ned K1NJ
    Ned K1NJ Member ✭✭
    edited July 2017

As long as we're on the "power input" subject, what power input will the
    antenna genius tuner require?

Ned,  K1NJ

• Varistor
    Varistor Member ✭✭
    edited August 2017
    Michael, I have a few questions that I'd like to run by you. Any chance I can email you directly?
  • Michael Aust
    Michael Aust Member ✭✭
    edited August 2017
    Varistor,
    wb6dji_dx@icloud(dot)com
    Mike

• Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 2017
    I believe it could be powered from the coax and by the Power Genius XL. But a lot of this is TBD. I would imagine that it would be the same as any tuner - 13.8V DC at a few amps.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.