Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Praise for Flex 6500 for Contesting

Comments

• James Kennedy-WU5E
    James Kennedy-WU5E Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    I agree 100% coupled to a good antenna you have monster contesting station
  • Michael Coslo
    Michael Coslo Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Isn't it a hoot though? I finally had the chance to take mine on a portable contest operation, and I don't want to use a legacy radio for contesting ever again. And the last I used was a K3. 
  • Dale - K4DG
    Dale - K4DG Member
    edited December 2016
    Just to follow up on my original post... I used my Flex 6500 the past two evenings to work the ARRL 160M CW contest. from my QTH 60 miles NW of San Antonio, TX. I have an inverted L for 160 and a K9AY loop for receiving. I was able to work every station I could hear. If I could see it on the panadapter, I could work it. I use SmartSDR 1.9.13, N1MM+ for logging, and CW Skimmer/SDR Bridge. What a great combination for a casual contester like me. According to CW Skimmer, at one point there were over 1000 stations on the air between 1800 kHz and 1875 kHz. I set the CW filter for 50 Hz and had no trouble separating stations. There were a number of DX stations on the air, including XE, TI, KP2, KP4, ZF, VY, and PJ9, along with most Canadian provinces. It was interesting to see how reception was sometimes better on the inverted L and sometimes on the K9AY loop. Conditions were better Friday night than Saturday night – however, the many filter and AGC adjustments available in SmartSDR made it easy to pull stations out of the QRN and QRM. Being able to see all the signals on the 160M band on the panadapter display was a definite advantage in planning my contesting strategy. Keep up the good work FRS! 73, Dale – K4DG

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.