Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Proposal: QSO recording stream

Options
2»

Comments

• Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin
    Options

Let's revisit this.

You can record all the audio tracks today by using DAX and VoiceMeeter

• One channel is on the DAX audio channel, such as RX1
    • On the other channel, record the Mic Stream

Would that work for SSB?

And, as that was asked a long time ago, I will be honest and tell you it is on a list but it is near the bottom as there is only a handful of requests for it.

CW Sidetone being on a DAX stream is high on the list. Sadly, just not high enough as some other more critical issues. We appreciate that lives a big hole in things.

Mike

• John G3WGV
    John G3WGV Member ✭✭
    Options

Mike, thanks for your reply. Yes, I know that there is a DAX channel for the mic but that is not so useful to me as a 100% CW operator. It is a glaring omission that there is no equivalent DAX channel for CW sidetone. It's extraordinary that it could ever have been thought unimportant so my suspicion is that it was just a mistake not to include it. It cannot be a big deal to add the feature.

Well, you say that few people seem to want it and that may indeed be so. I am disappointed that the initiative to fix such an extraordinary omission cannot seem to gain traction simply by virtue of it being just that.

• Erik Carling EI4KF
    Erik Carling EI4KF Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Since all audio, including CW sidetone, is present on the headphone jack:

Connect to this jack with a Y shape audio splitter.

Plug your headphone/earphone on one side of the splitter.

On the other side connect a ground noise loop isolator. These are cheap, 7 euro in Ireland and work well.

Then connect the isolator to your computer to the line input or microphone input. I prefer line myself.

On Windows settings, select the correct audio source.

For recording I use QSorder software as its free and easy to set up. Make a desktop shortcut to qsorder.exe with the target: qsorder.exe -P 12060 -C

This option allows me to record one hour of QSOs on a single .mp3 file. You can of course record for any duration and the quality is good for SSB as well as CW.

• John G3WGV
    John G3WGV Member ✭✭
    Options

Connect to this jack with a Y shape audio splitter.

That's just a kludge to get around the omission of a CW sidetone DAX channel. It's what I have been doing for the past eight years and it's a poor solution for all the reasons already discussed.

• Erik Carling EI4KF
    Erik Carling EI4KF Member ✭✭✭
    Options

But it works and the files are acceptable for those contests that require them or for your own specific use (like I could to prove a good CW QSO with the recent Swains operation). It is not a poor solution but an alternative solution. One that can be used in the interim that other readers on here might have not have considered. Isn't the forum for sharing experiences? It consists of only a couple of parts and an audio lead. Those that need to record but feel some more years' wait for Flex is not optimal might like to try it.

• Asher - K0AU
    Asher - K0AU Member ✭✭
    Options

The emerging technology is software integration and we're just scratching the surface in cloud and AI for ham radio. EVERYTHING to or from the air interface needs to be reflected in a digital stream. The company that does this first (including metadata) will have a commanding advantage for competitive contesting. Standards would make it even better!

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.