Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Etiquette

Comments

• EA4GLI
    EA4GLI Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2016
    NordicPC, I agree with a lot of your posts lately in the forum, not all, but a large percentage. I however disagree with you on this one.

I don't think posting on this Forum should be considered a right. No one is obligated to post here. There are many places that require you to share your real name and address, starting with the FCC.

I don't think of it as being afraid or not. If you value your anonymity that is perfectly fine... do not post.

• Walt - KZ1F
    Walt - KZ1F Member ✭✭
    edited November 2016
    Just for Chuckles once I went on 14 313 with the 1500 just for chuckles . They politely asked me to leave as I was so weak they couldn't hear me.
  • KC9NRN
    KC9NRN Member
    edited October 2016
    Jon,

What does talking on the air where it's required to ID have to do with posting on a forum that doesn't?? 

Seriously, it has nothing to do with being on the air, if this were QRZ where call sign is required, well guess what, I give my call sign! AS REQUIRED and I am on that site using my call sign every day.

I have heard 14.313, 3843 and a host of others where call signs are frequently not used, maybe you could jump on the air and explain to them how they should abide by the rules.

Until Flex requires a call to use their community, I will prefer not to use it, as is my right. I don't understand why people get so bent out of shape over something that has nothing to do with how people use this or any other open forum when people are no different in the private ones where everybody uses a call.
  • Walt - KZ1F
    Walt - KZ1F Member ✭✭
    edited November 2016
    Myself as well,NPC, I agree with much of what you've said in your time here. I'd much prefer a propernoun to be Sam, Dave, Lisa, Shania than NordicPC. It sort of feels like I don't have a right to know who I am talking to.
  • Jon_KF2E
    Jon_KF2E Member ✭✭
    edited July 2016
    NPC, What does it say to people when you say I want to beta test this software for all of you but don't want you to know who I am. 

I'm really sorry that you feel that letting a forum like this know who you are is some sort of threat. I certainly don't begrudge you the prerogative to remain anonymous. Just don't expect others to trust you the same as members who are open to the community.

Jon...kf2e

• KC9NRN
    KC9NRN Member
    edited October 2016
    Salvador,

I have to take this point by point.

"NordicPC, I agree with a lot of your posts lately in the forum, not all, but a large percentage. I however disagree with you on this one."

Ok, lets dig in and see why.

"I don't think posting on this Forum should be considered a right. No one is obligated to post here. There are many places that require you to share your real name and address, starting with the FCC."

I never stated posting on this forum is or isn't a right, not sure where that came from? Agreed, nobody is obligated to post here, again, not sure where that came from. Agreed, there are many places that require you to give your information and call sign, so? The FlexRadio community forum DOES NOT.

"I don't think of it as being afraid or not. If you value your anonymity that is perfectly fine... do not post."

I replied to the person who used the word afraid, it doesn't matter the reason, people in this forum don't have to like it a persons reason. As you stated, nobody is OBLIGATED to post here.

I value that the owners of FlexRadio understand that they don't sell to just Amateur Radio Operators so they have an OPEN FORUM more or less since it doesn't require a call sign and this bothers people so telling me NOT TO POST because I don't abide by the thoughts and rules as dictated by forum members is ridiculous.

If Gerald decides to lock this place up so a call is required, I will abide by his rules as they are HIS RULES, (or whomever makes them at Flex) not forum members who think how they do something is how others should as well.

• Walt - KZ1F
    Walt - KZ1F Member ✭✭
    edited November 2016
    Isn't Windows 10, roundly known to be just as data mining extreme as Facebook? It seems the only place people have any semblance of privacy is in their bedroom, and even that is not a given. Ask Hulk Hogan.
  • KC9NRN
    KC9NRN Member
    edited October 2016
    Many serial whiners are using call signs. This thread is a pretty good example of people whining because Flex doesn't require a call sign to post here. 

I guess its only whining if somebody whines without a call on this forum, noted.
  • KC9NRN
    KC9NRN Member
    edited October 2016
    Reasons were given, privacy on an open forum where a call sign is not required is a valid reason and it is different than identifying on the air where both people are required to give their call, how is this so hard to comprehend?

• Jon_KF2E
    Jon_KF2E Member ✭✭
    edited July 2016
    Wasn't that his best friends bedroom?

Jon...kf2e
  • Jon_KF2E
    Jon_KF2E Member ✭✭
    edited July 2016
    NPC,

No one is saying you can't refuse to give your call. I just think you shouldn't be expected to be taken seriously while remaining anonymous. You have the right to remain anonymous and forum members have the right to discount you as a result.

Sorry I fanned this fire. I'm going QRT now.

Jon...kf2e
  • KC9NRN
    KC9NRN Member
    edited October 2016
    Jon,

My beta testing has nothing to do with you, or anybody else on the forum. If Flex decides to use me they have my information and the appropriate people who need the information will have it. If Gerald or whomever says you need to post your call with your ID then if I decide to accept being a beta tester I would do that, as expected. I am great with following rules set by people in the role to set them, not as posted by people who have no position to make them.

I never said this forum was a threat, where did you get that from? I said people and in 2016 USA I in fact do NOT trust that all people online that sees my call sign are good people, nobody has to like that but my families safety is everything to me. It's not even a little like being on the air where both sides are required by the FCC to ID themselves.

Forum members insisting to know everything about somebody to trust them isn't my problem, its that persons problem. Not a single person has to take my advice, read my posts or interact with me, freedom is awesome that way. 

If I get advice from somebody on this forum his call sign doesn't enter into it, his advice does, it's up to me to make that determination. If I give advice and knowing my call is that important, ignore me, no harm no foul.

• KC9NRN
    KC9NRN Member
    edited October 2016
    Jon,

I think I have made it perfectly clear not a single solitary soul has to read a single word I write if knowing my call is that important to them.

Discount away folks.
  • KC9NRN
    KC9NRN Member
    edited October 2016
    Walt, 

Yeah, Windows 10 is defiantly intrusive as is Alexa etc...
  • Walt - KZ1F
    Walt - KZ1F Member ✭✭
    edited November 2016
    In an attempt at humor I use that. But I think the larger point is there's no semblance of privacy on internet to begin with and people who think otherwise are largely deluding themselves . An individual, who became a friend of mine e, on here used his middle name but in normal conversations used his 'to his friends' name. But that was infinity better than calling oneself Buzz Lightyear, broadcasting to all 'I refuse to divulge who I actually am'.
  •   VE6KWA
    VE6KWA Member ✭✭
    edited July 2016
    << anonymous serial whiners >> 
    Howard... maybe you could coin   ASW  ;)

• Walt - KZ1F
    Walt - KZ1F Member ✭✭
    edited November 2016
    But, to your point NPC, whatever works for you.
  • KC9NRN
    KC9NRN Member
    edited October 2016
    Well as the OP I hope you can understand now why some people choose not to be free with information on an open forum since that info can lead to their house. If this forum required a call to sign up, we wouldn't be having this debate/discussion. 

• Walt - KZ1F
    Walt - KZ1F Member ✭✭
    edited November 2016
    Well, perhaps this conversation has largely been played out. Personally, I think you have a lot of insight to offer.I think it's a shame you prefer to do it from behind a curtain. But don't you see how that hurts your credibility?
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 2016

@Walt.. Which Address. La Jolla, Paris, Sablet? or any others? 

There really are NO SECRETS and if someone really wanted to find out who NordicPC was or any other anonymous poster for that matter, I suspect that a reasonably competent Internet search  or some packet sniffing or IP tracking  would find them in a few minutes...

The major advantage of trying to stay anonymous is that it gives you the freedom to make a fool of yourself without having to take responsibility later for saying something you wish you hadn't.....

And it takes you out of the running for the Curmudgeon of the Year award which is given to someone brave enough to admit to making a fool of themselves...

• Walt - KZ1F
    Walt - KZ1F Member ✭✭
    edited November 2016
    Equal opportunity...I rotate them.
  • Gerald-K5SDR
    Gerald-K5SDR FlexRadio Employee ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    OK, you guys have convinced me to go incognito with an alias.  I even know what I will use for my avatar.  I can have a lot more fun that way since no one will know who I am.  
  • Jim Best
    Jim Best Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Com'on guys, I'm wearing out my delete key. I log into the Flex Community and look for useful information. Before this it was "Alpha Beta something" I don't remember and I deleted all of them just as these. Let's get back to SDR and remove the personalities. I know, here come the flames. They will be deleted.  My name is Jim, My call is WU7G, licensed since 1965.
  • KC9NRN
    KC9NRN Member
    edited October 2016
    Howard, 

Apparently keeping my info private on a PUBLIC forum is a horrible reason and foolish. Your reasons as well as the others who post it openly are selfish but hey you're willing to allow people you don't know to come for a visit, your choice and I could care less because I'm here to learn, not tell others how to post on a forum they don't own.

Packet sniffing on a forum you can't see IP's on, good luck with that, unless somebody from Flex gives it to you, you aren't sniffing anything but farts. 

The major advantage of not allowing people like you my personal information is I don't have to worry about you doing something ****, you're stuck on this forum mocking those who don't think like you and thinking somehow you could find somebody so easily. You must have watched a few too many TV shows where some guy types on the keyboard and BAM instantly through the firewall. Nonsense.

As for winning the curmudgeon, I'll live with that choice and leave it to the fools who don't care who knows where they live and don't care what danger that poses to their family.

If this were a forum where EVERYBODY used their call, well we've beaten that horse to death and I suspect somebody here will get a wild hair again in a few months starting this ridiculousness all over again. 

• Jay Nation
    Jay Nation Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    To the thread:

I trust nobody! I take none of you seriously! I have a suspicion that many feel the same way about me. If you need help with something I'll always try to help. If your pushing some agenda you will get no help from me. If your whining for the sake of more whining your not earning any respect, from me at least. I really don't care how someone identifies their communications. It's the content that matters. Make it matter!

73, Jay - NO5J 
  • KC9NRN
    KC9NRN Member
    edited October 2016
    Salvador,

"Start by NOT putting my info on QRZ??" Why would I do that? QRZ requires everybody to use their call sign to use that site and you can't log into it without one so of course I use it.

The risk is shared by all equally on QRZ, this is the very point I have tried to make. FlexRadios forum is not shared risk because it lacks the same requirement.

What I can't understand is the thick headed whining about a persons choice to not give an open forum their personal information that NON-AMATEURS can get to.

That doesn't bother many and I say great, that is your choice, my choice shouldn't affect anybody because they can make their choice but to keep harping on a person who has given valid reasons for not sharing private info on a public forum is beyond reason.

My XYL's Chihuahua is more reasonable, anybody own one, you know what I mean.

Howard and the rest who want this place to be all call signs think it might change something, they're wrong, as wrong as the guys who complain about no code Techs thinking no code techs will bring thousands of LIDS on the air when it had thousands of them to begin with.

Not meaning all of this at you Salvador, I'm done with this thread, good grief people are purposefully obtuse.
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    That's funny, Gerald! Can I suggest a few aliases? Bit ****, Peter Panadapter, Captain Skyhook, Papa Bronze Bear? Sorry....couldn't resist!
  • KC9NRN
    KC9NRN Member
    edited October 2016
    Walt,

Seriously, I have said it now so much I have to believe people are ignoring it. My wife's safety FAR OUTWEIGHS any concerns of what people think of me here.

I have had this discussion with her, and she prefers no information is given unless it has to be. Why, this should be obvious to all but apparently it isn't.

It's 2016, my call sign on an OPEN let me say that for I don't know, the tenth time? My call sign is NEVER EVER going to be posted on an open forum.

My credibility will be earned, as it should be. My call sign tells you absolutely nothing other than I passed an exam. It also gives people who I can't get information on open access to my home location. 

Why it doesn't bother anybody else that their wives can be home one day and because anybody with a search engine can find out in 1 minute where you live and you give no thought to that.

Howard believes I can be found in minutes, he's wrong, but he can be found in seconds. If he thinks my IP can be found without the help of Flex, more power to him.

My credibility will be earned, nobody here has any credibility to me until I have read his posts and decided on if he deserves it or not.

Call sign will have zero to do with it, words will.

Howard's place is pretty nice, it took 4 seconds to look it up, that doesn't bother anybody. wow.

OPEN FORUM, still don't get it? 
  • Michael Coslo
    Michael Coslo Member ✭✭
    edited July 2016
    Me too, I shall now be called King Coleslaw, conquerer of picnics.

• Dave - W6OVP
    Dave - W6OVP Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    I'm having the same problem, Jim. It really would be fun to join in the endless free form bellyaching but I'm having so much fun with my FLEX and MAESTRO I just can't find the time! Maybe we should suggest taking up a hobby to those who seem so frustrated? Like maybe --- Ham Radio?         (Oh yeah, I also have a turbocharged delete key!)

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.