Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

PowerSDR 2.7.2 ke9ns Revision T4

2»

Comments

• Mick
    Mick Member ✭✭
    edited June 2016
    Hello Darrin

Many many thanks for all of your hard work and continuing improvement of PowerSDR 2.7.2.

Here in the UK I have recently purchased a 1500 to go with my 4-year old 5000.  The supplied 2.7.2. disc gives me all of the UK Band Plan info (e.g. 40m - 7.000 to 7.200), correct band data, etc. together with the 11 x channels for 5MHz Band highlighted in yellow outlines.

I would like to try your ke9ns version but just asking first can I still maintain my UK set-up as above?

Thanks and 73

Mick - M0GWD
    Portsmouth, UK

• John
    John Member ✭✭
    edited June 2018
    Mick, It will keep all your changes to the software, like mic settings, the 60m uk band  etc etc. The latest version is T7. Just remember to run the file as administrator. Thats right click on the file and select "run as administrator", It will self install and put a new icon on your desktop called PowerSDR Ver T7. Use this icon to start the software and ejoy the loads of new features.

John - M0ELS
  • Mick
    Mick Member ✭✭
    edited January 2020
    Hello John

Many thanks for the very prompt reply.
    I'm just sorting out my laptop and upgrading from the dreaded Vista to Windows 7.
    I'll then give it a go and if successful for my portable set-up I'll install Darrin's version on the 5000 as well.
    Thanks for the advice and info John.  Much appreciated.

Mick M0GWD

• Charles - K5UA
    Charles - K5UA Member ✭✭
    edited January 2020
    Hi Darren,

A friend of mine has two rigs, a Flex 3000 with PowerSDR, and a SDRPlay with his Icom 718.  He finds that only the "EMNS" noise reduction in the SDR Console software is able to eliminate the high noise conditions in his HOA environment.  The noise reduction in PowerSDR makes a small improvement in the noise level, but it is nowhere as effective as the EMNS noise reduction . 

I am wondering if the EMNS noise reduction software is in the public domain, and if it is, would it be possible to incorporate it into PowerSDR?  He really likes the Flex 3000 and PowerSDR, but he is forced to use the SDRPlay and the Icom 718 because of the effectiveness of the SDRPlay's EMNS noise reduction system.

Here is a link to a youtube video of the EMNS noise reduction system in action:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DpjQm7yln88

Is there any possibility that this could be added to PowerSDR in the future?

• KE9NS
    KE9NS Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016

Mick,

Basically PowerSDR has all the band plans for all the countries available all the time. When it talks to the radio itself, it then determines what bands the radio is set to allow operation on. So if the radio itself is setup for UK, it will always be UK no matter what I do. So your safe.

Darrin ke9ns

• KE9NS
    KE9NS Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016

I'm not sure yet what is possible and what is not possible.

But I was thinking that this Fall I would dig into it. (i.e. when its cold, dark, and miserable outside in Northern Illinois :)

Darrin ke9ns

• John
    John Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Hi Darren, Any chance you can send that cold dark this side please :-)
    I want to test our new front door against the cold....

• Bob N7ZO
    Bob N7ZO Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Regarding EMNS, I found this:

"EMNS is the Ephraim-Malah Noise Suppressor originally described in Y. Ephraim and D. Malah. Speech Enhancement Using a Minimum Mean-Square Error ShortTime Spectral Amplitude Estimator. IEEE Trans. ASSP, Vol. 32, No. 6, Dec. 1984, pp. 1109-1121."
    (source: http://unduhvideogratis.net/watch?v=DpjQm7yln88 )

EMNS does seem to be very effective.  I'd like to see it in SSDR too.

73, Bob, N7ZO
  • Mick
    Mick Member ✭✭
    edited June 2016
    Hello Darrin

Many thanks for the explanation.
    I was wondering how it worked and now I understand.

All the best from the UK

Mick M0GWD
  • KE9NS
    KE9NS Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020

FYI:

PowerSDR 2.7.2 ke9ns Rev T8:  Added Griffin PowerMate Knob function to PowerSDR (no longer a need to have a separate program running) Setup->General->User Interface->PowerMate Active

PowerSDR 2.7.2 ke9ns Rev T7: Added an optional 2nd TX meter (using RX2) and Cleaned up the Meters a bit  Setup->Transmit-> 2nd TX meter Active

PowerSDR 2.7.2 ke9ns Rev T6: Added "Memory" spots to Panadapter. Spotter->Memories to Pan

Download at ke9ns.com/flexpage.html

Darrin ke9ns

•   VE6KWA
    VE6KWA Member ✭✭
    edited July 2016
    Darrin... I can't take much more of this ! Soon, I'll be forced to finish the SDR 1000 kit in my desk drawer and give your new & improved software a go. Great Stuff & Kudos to Flex for supporting you !
  • James Watts
    James Watts Member ✭✭
    edited June 2016
    Gerald Said "On the other hand, just because someone wants this or that specific GUI feature doesn't mean it pays any bills. We constantly evaluate our engineering resource allocation based on that which provides the highest return on investment. At this moment, it means Maestro. " Wow, I think this pretty much stands on it's own and needs no other comment. I'm glad I know where the loyal customer base stands. The ones that always purchase equipment a year in advance of being delivered.
  • KE9NS
    KE9NS Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016

Ken, I can see code written for the SDR1000 and others in the PowerSDR source code, but I have no idea if 2.7.2 will work with anything other than the 1500,3000, and 5000.

•   VE6KWA
    VE6KWA Member ✭✭
    edited July 2016
    Argghh... of course. Silly me. It was fun dreaming anyhow. Your stuff looks great !  I don't recall the last PSDR version good for the 1000.  Suppose I should build it anyhow. Seems a shame sitting there.
  • Jay Nation
    Jay Nation Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    Ken 

The last compatible version for the SDR1000 was 2.5.3, which is no longer available for download, (???), 2.4.4 and 2.3.5 also worked. They are still available. I'm sure some folks still have copies of 2.5.3 they might be able to share.
    Starting with 2.6.4 Parallel port configuration options were removed  from PowerSDR. One other point, The SDR1000 is not 64 bit compatible. Maybe Darrin will take pity on us, if we pay him enough ($$$$??) and release something 2.5.3 based.image

Mine should be working again soon, I just got my replacement Granite Firewire cable.
    Now the holdup is that I'm restacking and recabling The shackdesk to make room for Maestro.image

73, Jay - NO5J.  
  •   VE6KWA
    VE6KWA Member ✭✭
    edited July 2016
    Thanks Jay, Good Info.  I better see about getting the software and associated other tidbits before they get more scarce. I kept an old 32 bit XP machine to run it on. One of these days...
  • Jay Nation
    Jay Nation Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    Ken
    It runs fine on 32 bit Windows 7, 8, 8.1, and 10 too. Microsoft left out part of the Parallel Port compatibility, on purpose, they haven't said why, in every 64 bit version.

73, Jay - NO5J

•   VE6KWA
    VE6KWA Member ✭✭
    edited July 2016
    Cool... I may be asking you other SDR 1000 questions when the time comes.
    TNX
  • Jay Nation
    Jay Nation Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    Ken

No problem, It's a good radio, I think Gerald even had one.image I'm keeping mine. I bet there are a few others, here in the Community that are hanging on to theirs also. If you don't already have one, grab an Edirol FA-66, and a Fire Wire card with a TI chipset, before they disappear too. 

Some folks like radios with lots of knobs, I must like radios with lots of cables.

73,  Jay - NO5J
  • DrTeeth
    DrTeeth Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    James, that comment sends cold shivers through me as it does not recognise the non-quantifiable good will of keeping customers satisfied. It also skates over the fact that some things will need fixing for their own sake. Taken at face value, no GUI improvements would be made.
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Guys, what I hear Gerald say there is, they would not commit hundreds of expensive hours of resources on things that is not a high priority to most customers. If only a few out of thousands want a certain thing changed it does not make business sense to do it.

And we have seen so many times Flex does everything it can to make it's customers happy. To sugest otherwise is just silly.
  • DrTeeth
    DrTeeth Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    Gerald's comment is quite unequivocal. He does not mention "hundreds of expensive hours". His quote means, in the absence of qualification, not a single minute, let alone hours.
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    We constantly evaluate our engineering resource allocation based on that which provides the highest return on investment. At this moment, it means Maestro. "

The engineering resources allocation is just that, It is very expensive to make any changes in SSDR. So for a few customers asking for something out of all the customer base does not pay, is what I read there.

Tell me..what would you like to see happen in order to keep customers happy.
    Lets say Flex is you company, what would you do? I'm sure Gerald is reading this and would like to know as well Guy.

You make it sound as if they are not doing well in this, unless I don't understand your point.
  • DrTeeth
    DrTeeth Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    Bill, I fully understand Gerald's position. I am not asking for hundreds of GUI changes to be made yesterday. It is just that when Gerald speaks about GUI changes, he makes comments which make it look like they will not be made as they do not bring in any income. It gives the impression that customer satisfaction has not been factored into the Flex experience. From some backchat I know I am not alone in this feeling. GUI changes should not be at the bottom of the pile nor should they be at the top either.
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    I understand  Guy, but any small change is expensive, and they have to shift resources to do it, and at that time the Maestro was high on the list, understandably.
    So it does make a difference how many ask for the change. I do not agree what you said about customers being considered.. I see that everything they chose to do factors in customers all the time, It is in their best interest to.
  • Steve G1XOW
    Steve G1XOW Member ✭✭
    edited July 2016
    Bill & Guy,

Flex have taken a lot of flack recently from the user base, especially seeing as they chose to put the world on hold whilst they rushed Maestro to market. In addition, there are the new SDRs coming out, as well as the Icom 7410 and the new 7600-SDR to come. 

Hopefully they are not sleeping, nor expecting a small number of contesters to save the day. So lets give the FRS boys a bit of space now to contemplate the unfolding game and where they go next.

FRS CAN deliver user base satisfaction, and make good money at it too from V2.0...if they wish too. They just have to read the writing on the wall and act accordingly, or risk losing customer loyalty.
  • W4OCO
    W4OCO Member
    edited June 2016
    Also appreciated from my shack!  Best thing that has happened to PowerSDR 2.7.2 is Darrin taking it and making so many improvements.  Makes operating my 5000A fun. Thanks and keep up the great work.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.