Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

I continue to get Unhandled Errors when launching SSDR. Here's the latest one which I get over half

Options
William Hein
William Hein Member ✭✭
edited June 2020 in SmartSDR for Windows
I continue to get Unhandled Errors when launching SSDR. Here's the latest one which I get over half the time when starting SSDR

I've also noticed FlexControl no longer works. I don't know if these problems are related to my upgrade to v.1.4.16 but I don't recall them from prior

Bill AA7XT 

Comments

• Steve W6SDM
    Steve W6SDM Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Now that I am retired, I think I will look for a part-time job writing error messages for Windows.  Not that I know that much about software because I don't.  But I am sure that I could throw a bunch of words together and confuse people at least as much as Microsoft does.  :)

Just guessing, but since you mentioned an issue with your Flex Control, I would fire up Device Manager and see what's going on with your COM/USB ports.    It sounds like there may be a conflict where WIndows is trying to assign multiple devices to the same port.
  • WX7Y
    WX7Y Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Options
    Not sure but it could be that the flex control and one of the CAT ports that SmartSDR is trying to use are fighting for the same COM port. Try unplugging the Flex Control and see if you keep getting the "Serial.IO.Ports.SerialStream.EventLoopRunner" error when you start SmartSDR. If it starts correctly after several tries then you may have to change the Flex controllers COM port manually. I think I remember something about this in the release notes and you had to remove the FLEX Control COM port BEFORE installing SmartSDR, I think this has been the same warning in the last 2 version updates about the Flex controller. Just a thought and something to try over the weekend until the FLEX guys get back on Monday to comment 73's Bret WX7Y
  • Bill  /  VA3QB
    Bill / VA3QB Member ✭✭
    edited August 2017
    Options
    I had same problem a few days ago.  Unplug Flex Control. Then had to go into device manager and delete all of the comports. Then plug Flex Control back in and restart SmartSDR. Problem solved. 

Bill
    VA3QB
  • Bill
    Bill Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Options
    That's exactly the problem I am getting, it didn't happen until I updated to version 16. I am out most of today but will try a few of the suggestions when I get back. My Flex Control hasn't worked since I updated.

73, Bill
  • K2CM
    K2CM Member ✭✭
    edited September 2019
    Options
    I have started getting these errors with the previous version. N1MM gives me a duplicate com port error. Will try to fix today.
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Options
    If Windows updates this happens.... Windows is bad at com port selections .
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited November 2018
    Options
    This is a previously reported issue that is related to the interaction of the USB com port on the FlexControl and SmartSDR.  Being that it is intermittent, does not affect everyone and is mangled up in the (poor) way Windows interacts with non-hardware UARTS, it makes finding root cause challanging.  We are working on identifying root cause in order to implement a fix.

In the mean time, try plugging the FlexControl into a different USB port, removing ghosted virtual com ports (https://helpdesk.flexradio.com/hc/en-us/articles/200883925-Removing-Hidden-or-Ghosted-Com-ports)  and you can try changing the FlexControl's com port number to a higher values. like 200 (https://helpdesk.flexradio.com/hc/en-us/articles/202479329-How-to-Change-the-Com-Port-Assignment-for...).
  • Peter K1PGV
    Peter K1PGV Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Options
    Actually, it's a super good error message if you're a programmer familiar with C# ... If you're a "normal" person, not so much.

The problem, in layyman's terms, is the program is trying to read from a COM port, and the COM port it's trying to read from has been closed. This can happen, for example, when you unplug -- or even nudge -- a USB serial adapter. Even a very momentary disconnect of the USB device will cause the problem, due to the way USB work.

This is a very common problem, and IIRC is rather hard to fix as I seem to recall that the exception that's raised is not catchable. That means that calling WaitForCommEvent in a TRY block (the typical fix for this class I
    Of issue) may not help.

Bottom line: Problem inherent in the cross product of USB and serial ports, and the lousy COM port handling in the .Net runtime.

Peter
    K1PGV
  • William Hein
    William Hein Member ✭✭
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I tried this. Moved FlexControl to COM 222, I haven't seen the startup crash since however FlexControl is still not working. See following screen caps.

imageimageimageimage
  • Bill  /  VA3QB
    Bill / VA3QB Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Options
    I would not set the comport in Cat,  let windows assign it before you open SmartSDR. Then go to Device Manager (DM) and change it there to want you want.

But first go to DM and delete all the comports first.  Then plug the Flex Control into the USB port on your computer.

Bill
    VA3QB
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Bottom line: Problem inherent in the cross product of USB and serial ports, and the lousy COM port handling in the .Net runtime.

AMEN!  We are actively debugging this issue and are "discovering" lots of quirky behavior with the ,NET serial port class.  We are confident we'll get to the bottom of this.  It just might take a little time.
  • Bill  /  VA3QB
    Bill / VA3QB Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Thanks Tim, windows never did properly handle USB / com porting.
  • Stan VA7NF
    Stan VA7NF Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Options

Tim, while FRS is in the USB/Serial area, how about including support for dual switch closure USB (CW paddle) or keying via N1MM, or both so we can shake out any bugs before Maestro. 

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.