Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

HRD 6.2 RC2 Logbook with DDUtil 3.0.6 HRD App server and SMartSDR issues

David Decoons, wo2x
David Decoons, wo2x Member, Super Elmer Moderator
edited June 2020 in SmartSDR CAT
Hi All,

Using SmartSDR 1.2.1, DDUtil 3.0.6 and HRD 6.2 RC2.

Anyone else using this combo with DDUtil's HRD App server checked in place of HRD's main program when using HRD logbook with success? I noticed from HRD 6.1.4 to HRD 6.2 RC2 that the radio name in HRD Logbook radio pane (when connected to HRD main program and not DDUtil HRD TCP server) has changed from PowerSDR to PowerSDR SmartSDR. I think that change in HRD 6.2 RC2 is causing issues with DDUtil.

The problem is when I run DDUtil's HRD App server checked and then launch HRD Logbook 6.2 RC2 the radio pane does not show any buttons and mode changes from clicking on cluster spots does not work.

I want to get feedback from any users successfully using the HRD Logbook 6.2 RC2 with DDUtil's HRD App serer. I do a lot of software beta testing on this PC and before I format and reinstall I want to see if this is a widespread issue. I suspect HRD changed the name of the radio that gets echo'ed back to HRD logbook from the main program with the upcoming 6.2 and that might be causing grief with DDUtil. Anyone who has used DDUtil in place of the HRD main program to interface the logbook and DM780 knows the software is MUCH more responsive than having HRD main program talk to SmartSDR Cat.

Thanks in advance.

Dave
wo2x

Answers

• KM6CQ - Dan
    KM6CQ - Dan Member ✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Yep, I am running the same combo with the same issues. It works great with the KX3 but not the 6500

Dan KM6CQ
  • David Decoons, wo2x
    edited June 2020

I just substituted MiniDeluxe in place of DDUtil. The problem is HRD changed the name that HRD logbook 6.2 RC2 is expecting to PowerSDR SmartSDR. Since both miniDeluxe and DDUtil echo PowerSDR it fails as unknown radio and the buttons in the radio pane of HRD Logbook are missing.

The source code of MiniDeluxe is available for download so I am going to figure out how to change it and recompile with the correct name.

Stay tuned....

Dave, wo2x

• KM6CQ - Dan
    KM6CQ - Dan Member ✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Okay thanks Dave. I don't know much about coding but I can sure cut and paste. I will be awaiting your instructions. 

Dan 
  • G4IUA
    G4IUA Member ✭✭
    edited February 2017
    I wait with interest too.  A few days ago I asked a similar question, where I am thinking of upgrading from the free version of HRD (5) to the current version 6.2 RC2.  In the meantime I've moved away from using DDUTil 3 and used MiniDeluxe, and this seems to work well with the logbook and DM780.  If the above problems can be overcome I'll be more tempted to upgrade.

Jeff - G4IUA
  • David Decoons, wo2x
    edited June 2020

Hi All,

Here's a status update. Seems the new 6.2 HRD suite changed the radio name that HRD main program echoes back to HRD Logbook and DM780. HRD Logbook sends Get Radio command on startup and is expecting 3:PowerSDR SmartSDR as the reply, not 11:PowerSDR as older versions. DM780 sends Get Radios (plural) and expects the same reply.

MiniDeluxe - Dave, W0DHB, has modified the source code and has sent me a beta version to test. All is working very nicely. Once the release version is out it will be posted on www://vhfwiki.com/minideluxe

DDUtil - I've been working with Steve, K5FR (author of DDUtil) to incorporate the same changes. He has incorporated the logbook changes and that is working perfectly. I am sending Steve the changes for DM780 later today.

The advantage of running either MiniDeluxe or DDUtil in place of the main HRD program is much faster responsiveness from clicking on cluster spots for mode/frequency QSY changes. Also frequency changes from clicking on waterfall in DM780 are much faster.

Dave, wo2x

• G4IUA
    G4IUA Member ✭✭
    edited February 2017
    Thanks for the update Dave - looking forward to the new release versions of DDUtil and MiniDeluxe to streamline things.

Jeff - G4IUA
  • W0DHB
    W0DHB Member ✭✭
    edited November 2016
    It should be noted that the Minideluxe issue also happens with PowerSDR as well as SmartSDR. if there are one or two others who would like to check out Minideluxe changes, Please let me know and I will make it available.

Dave W0DHB
  • David Decoons, wo2x
    edited May 2016
    Thanks for the helpDave! 73 Dave, wo2x
  • KM6CQ - Dan
    KM6CQ - Dan Member ✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Thank you Dave.

Dan KM6CQ
  • W0DHB
    W0DHB Member ✭✭
    edited November 2016

Until Dave K1FSY gets Minideluxe download site at VHFWiki updated, you can find a copy here

https://www.dropbox.com/s/qxa52ml2eh6ham4/MinideluxeHRD6_2.zip 

Dave W0DHB

• W0DHB
    W0DHB Member ✭✭
    edited November 2016
      I've finally had  chance to look at some of reported Minideluxe and/or DDutil  HRD pulldown issues with both PowerSDR and SmartSDR.

For PowerSDR only the Mode pulldown has issue (SmartSDR has same problem)
    - When selecting mode, mode changes correctly in PSDR and SSDR, but the label on the button is not correct. I'm looking into this.

SmartSDR issues

Band Pulldown does not work at all, it's using a CAT command that's not implemented yet. (Set/Read Band). Workaround will be to use Set freq .

AGC Pulldown does not work because CAT command is not implemented in SSDR. Not clear if PSDR command will map to the SSDR AGC UI

Display Pulldown - same as AGC pulldown

Filter Pulldowns  - Currently SSDR Filters are not as definable as PSDR, immediate solution will be to "Hardwire" filters when  using SmartSDR.

Note that HRD itself has many of the issues listed above with SSDR.

I'm pushing the HRD folks to a separate PowerSDR and SmartSDR into two Radio types.

• KM6CQ - Dan
    KM6CQ - Dan Member ✭✭
    edited October 2018
    With the current situation between HRD and DDUTIL, going forward it would be best if HRD gave us the option to run DM780 and Logbook as a stand alone app. I don't see HRD changing anything to accommodate DDUTIL in the future. 

73,   Dan 
  • Rick Hadley - W0FG
    Rick Hadley - W0FG Member ✭✭
    edited January 2018
    The current versions of HRD (6.2.9.254) and DDUtil (3.1.0.17) work fine with SSDR, at least as concerns HRDLog, DM780, and HRD Rotator. ( I never use the HRD main program)  The problems mentioned in the OP were artifacts of much older versions of both programs.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.