Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

6700 slow to shut down after 1.2.1 upgrade

Options
2»

Comments

• DonS
    DonS Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2020
    Options
    It took 75 seconds to shut down, but, I didn't have to press the button twice or hold it.  This is about 65 seconds longer than pre-1.2.2
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited March 2017
    Options
    To everyone, thank you for the feedback.  We are aware of the issue, it has been entered into our bug tracker and we are investigating it,  Once we have some additional information, we will let you know.  There are a few things that we already know that we need to share:

1.) To shut down the radio, press the power button one and release,  It will shut down in 60-120 seconds.

2.) Try to refrain from pressing and holding the power button to force a faster shut down.  This essentially does a "dirty" shut down of the internal file system.  This will not hurt the file system, but it is not a best practice.  This shut down method should only be used if the radio does not shut down after more than 3 minutes.

3.) There is a pathology where a slice may continue to run after SmartSDR for Windows is shut down. We believe that this is another symptom of the root cause of the problem that is resulting in the long shut down times.  When this happens, press the power button once and allow the radio to shut down which will terminate the slice.

• Peter
    Peter Member ✭✭
    edited May 2014
    Options

Hi Tim and Bob,

I have been experiencing the above problem on my 6500, however I think I have found the cause.
    if you close down any open slices and the panadapter then close the software and turn the radio off, it will do a normal shutdown.

if you just close the software without closing the slices and panadapter you will have a 75 second shutdown.

if you start the radio up again without removing the power when you close it down again you will have a 75 second shutdown.

So to stop the long shutdowns, ensure you close the slices then the panadapter before close the software down and you will get a 15 to 20 second shutdown.

Peter

• DonS
    DonS Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2014
    Options
    Did not work for me.  I shut down the open slice, shut down the panadapter, then shut down SSDR.  It still took almost 75 seconds before the radio shut down.
  • Peter
    Peter Member ✭✭
    edited May 2014
    Options

Hi Don,

I have been playing with it again, if you close down the Slice, Followed by the panadapter and then the software and then turn the power off to the rig and do this every time you close down the rig will close down in about 17 seconds. Or it does on my 6500.

• Ned K1NJ
    Ned K1NJ Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Options
      Same as Peter.  I routinely close all except slice "A", then terminate SmSDR.
    The 6500 closes in 16-17 seconds.

• DonS
    DonS Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2014
    Options
    I have the 6700. Maybe more stuff to close. :-)
  • Al_NN4ZZ
    Al_NN4ZZ Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Options
    It seems like slow shutdowns has been an intermittent problem for a while even before the recent release.  I'm guessing the current approach is to try and find the current or most likely cause and address it.   I wonder if it would be worthwhile to take the time to add some additional messaging to the process.  In the long run it might not only help identify where the hang up is happening but also provide better feedback to the user.  For example:

Shut down initiated
    Stopping process A 
    Terminating remote connections
    Stopping process B
    Writing persistence data
    Stopping process C
    Shutdown complete

Even if it takes an extra few days to add the diagnostic messaging, the effort is an investment that could pay back in the long run.  

Regards, Al / NN4ZZ  
    al (at) nn4zz (dot) com

• DonS
    DonS Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2020
    Options
    I tried this approach several times with the same results - 75 seconds to shutdown gracefully.  I did notice the several times the radio shutdown in 15 seconds there was a message on the radio screen indicating a shutdown in process right after I pressed the power button.  All other times the message was missing.

Don

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.