Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

6700 slow to shut down after 1.2.1 upgrade

Bob N7ZO
Bob N7ZO Member ✭✭
edited January 2020 in FLEX-6000 Signature Series

After the 1.2.1 upgrade, my 6700 with GPSDO now takes about 60 seconds to shut down after pressing the on/off button once.  After shutdown, I get a one Hertz pulsing noise through the speakers.

Comments

• Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited March 2017
    Bob - please do a shut down, then remove power from the radio momentarily.  The power back up to verify that the radio is running properly and do another shut down.  Let me know if it takes between 1-2 minutes to shut down and if you are still hearing the  1 Hz pulsing noise.
  • Bob N7ZO
    Bob N7ZO Member ✭✭
    edited January 2020
    Tim,  after your sequence, the next shut down took 17 seconds.  Then I powered it up again and the next shut down took 75 seconds.  It seems stable at 75 second shut downs now and the pulsing noise is still there.

• KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    I have a similar problem... I can close SMARTSDR V1.2 and the radio keeps on operating.  If I have an instance or 2 of JT 65 running it continues to decode.  BUT SmartSDR does not show up in Task Manager.

When I restart SMARTSDR it brings up at least one extra Slice Screen  or 2 extra if I shut it down with 2 screens running.
  • Bob N7ZO
    Bob N7ZO Member ✭✭
    edited February 2017
    KY6LA, your's sounds like a different problem.  My operation appears normal except for the slow shut down.  Closing SmartSDR quiets the radio properly.
  • Tim - W4TME
    edited December 2016
    OK.  This is a different problem from Bob.  The slice resource did not close when SmartSDR was closed which is why you continue to hear audio after SmartSDR is shut down.  I have entered a bug report on this for further investigation.  I'd be interested if others are having this issue.
  • Tim - W4TME
    edited December 2016
    Bob.  A few questions.

1.) Do you have a GPS installed?

2.) When the radio shuts down in 17 seconds, do you hear the pulsing?

• Bob N7ZO
    Bob N7ZO Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    1. Yes, GPS is installed.
    2. The 17 second shut down only happened once and I do not recall if the pulsing was there that time.
  • Tim - W4TME
    edited December 2016
    So I assume all subsequent shut downs are taking ~80 seconds now?
  • Bob N7ZO
    Bob N7ZO Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Maybe some progress.  I selected "UNINSTALL" for the GPS and restarted and re-installed the GPS.  I got one 17 second shut down (with no pulsing) and then it went back to about 75 seconds (with pulsing).  I repeated the process and now I have had several 16-17 second shut downs in a row.  How fast should it be?
  • Bob N7ZO
    Bob N7ZO Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Also, I should note that on the 75 second shutdowns, the "Shutting Down" message only appears momentarily at the very end.  There is no change in the display at the time I press the on/off button.   On the 16 second shut downs, the message appears immediately after pressing the button and stays for the entire 16 seconds.

• Tim - W4TME
    edited December 2016
    Bob - this is excellent info.  Just what I was looking for.  I have what I need to write up a defect report.  Thank you! Normally a shutdown will take from 5-15 seconds. 
  • Bob N7ZO
    Bob N7ZO Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    I've now tried several more restarts with and without running SmartSDR and am still getting around 16 seconds consistently.  I think this is acceptable.  I'm thinking the embedded Linux was having trouble shutting down the GPS process. (An educated guess based on what little I know about your architecture.)

What would make the difference between a 5 second shut down and a 15 second shut down?  I've only been running one panadapter and one or two slices throughout all this testing.
  • Tim - W4TME
    edited December 2016
    It sounds like something the shutdown process is not exiting cleanly and something is hanging.  The radio has to store the persistence DB as part of the shut down and the size of the DB can affect the shut down time by a few seconds.  I'd rather not speculate further until engineering has a chance to look at it.
  • Bob N7ZO
    Bob N7ZO Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    I understand.  In either case, now I can get back to playing with the new features.  :-)  Please give an update when you learn more.
  • Tim - W4TME
    edited December 2016
    RRR
  • Jerry W2TXB
    Jerry W2TXB Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Mine will occasionally keep going after shutting down SSDR. Once I do a power down of the radio (which usually takes less than 30 seconds) and then reboot, that problem goes away. This is very intermittent; I cannot duplicate it often enough to get a handle on what is going on.
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2014
    I can actually continue to use the radio long after I have closed both SSDR, SCAT, etc... both are closed in Task Manager and the radio continues to operate except that there is nothing on the screen.....  PTT puts the radio into transmit OK

It also seems that It can become quite difficult to shutdown the radio.. two pushes of the switch does not do it... but if I hold the switch a long time, it will finally power down the radio... only after the radio powers down does the audio stop...

When I restart SSDR without a power down, two slices appear rather than one.,,, Closing BOTH slices will stop the audio...

I had this issue randomly with 1.1 but now it seems to be consistent with 1.2
  • EMIL-DL8JJ
    EMIL-DL8JJ Member ✭✭
    edited March 2017

Hello,

after Update and factory reset i have also different shut down. Now I MUST hold ON/OFF button for about 10 sec. After that, shooting down messages appear for 1 sec and radio switch off immediately . On previous Firmware 1.1.3 i push the ON/OFF button shortly, see the messages shutting down for couple seconds and the radio switch off.

I have not GPS install. When i push the ON/OFF switch shortly nothing happened.

cu
    Emil, de DL8JJ

• Tim - W4TME
    edited December 2016
    Emil - do not hold the power button down to shut down.  Just press it and wait.  Holding the power button does a dirty shut down like holding the power button on a PC.  We are looking into what is going on with this issue an should have it addressed as soon as possible.
  • EMIL-DL8JJ
    EMIL-DL8JJ Member ✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Hi Tim,
    thanks for replay.
    I'll do that. I was very confusion due to new behavior.
    cu
    Emil
  • Tim - W4TME
    edited December 2016
    No problem.  We are all confused too right now ;-)  We are investigating it.
  • Dale W4AEJ
    Dale W4AEJ Member
    edited May 2014
    I also had this happen once with the new release.  I shut down SmartSDR 1.2 but continued to hear audio from the rig.  When I pressed the front panel button on the rig it shut down normally.  I have also had this happen on previous versions but it was very infrequent (maybe once every few months).
    Dale
    W4AEJ
  • Ed baker
    Ed baker Member ✭✭
    edited September 2016
    Similar with the 6500 . Will not shut down via the front switch, Must remove power. Then will work . Takes a few hours then it is back to no turn off.
  • DonS
    DonS Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2020
    I am also experiencing shut down issues. A press and slight hold of the power button does nothing. Now I have to hold the button for about 10 seconds amd then it is an immedate shutdown which I dont ithink is good.
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    I just tried the single posh shut down. It took about 60 seconds to shutdown. Then pulsing audio
  • Tim - W4TME
    edited December 2016
    Don - please do not hold the power button down to shut down.  Just press it and wait.  Holding the power button does a dirty shut down like holding the power button on a PC. 
  • Tim - W4TME
    edited December 2016
    This is the pathology of this issue.  We are looking into it. Thanks for the additional data point.
  • Andrew VK5CV
    Andrew VK5CV Member ✭✭
    edited February 2017

Tim,

My 6500 is taking about 40s to shut down.

Some times it continues to operate after SSDR 1.2.1 is closed.

I have the GPS option but there is no holdover light when off.

Is the GPSDO still running?

Andrew

• Greg
    Greg Member ✭✭
    edited May 2014
    Same issue here...pretty much since I have had the rig. Rarely does it shut down normally. Usually a second press of the power button is needed. I think though if I let it sit there long enough it will shut down on its own after one press of the button. Greg
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2017
    Same 1 minute to power down when I use the Remote On Port as well... and it keeps on receiving until it shuts down even with SSDR closed

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.