Transverter with 6600

• Question
  • Updated 2 months ago
I plan to use transverters with the 6600.
What transverter do you recommend and is there some option that is needed to use transverters with 6600 ?

73's de SM0NCS/SC0N
Photo of Tore Andersson

Tore Andersson

• 13 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like

Posted 6 months ago

Photo of kd5foy

kd5foy

• 14 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
Photo of Sergey, R5AU

Sergey, R5AU

• 805 Posts
  • 97 Reply Likes
well done with DEMI (www.downeastmicrowave.com)  or http://www.q5signal.com nowadays

in use with my F6700  transverters for 144/432/1296
(Edited)
Photo of David G4NRT / Z21NRT

David G4NRT / Z21NRT

• 228 Posts
  • 35 Reply Likes
I can very highly recommend the transverters made by Kuhne in Germany.  Pricy but excellent and probably a better proposition for amateurs outside of the USA due to shipping and customs issues.
Photo of John - K3MA

John - K3MA

• 251 Posts
  • 70 Reply Likes
Kuhne - Top shelf construction and performance.  Short leadtime. Good response in english to customer issues. Very high price.

DEMI - Good construction and perfromance.  Can be very long leadtime.  USA based but often cannot be reached by phone in a timely manner and slow email response. Medium price.

Transerter Store - Basic construction and performance.  On email support. Very low price.
Photo of Marc Lalonde

Marc Lalonde

• 352 Posts
  • 86 Reply Likes
got it whit 144 version 
Photo of George Molnar, KF2T

George Molnar, KF2T, Elmer

• 1538 Posts
  • 546 Reply Likes
I have the Elecraft 144 and 432 transverters, and have used them very successfully with my 6500. Caveat -- I have the high-stability crystal and oven for 432, and use an external PLL (driven by the Flex GPSDO 10 MHz output) on 2 meters. I've made hundreds of 2m contacts via satellite, meteors, and EME using them. 432 activity out west was low, and I didn't invest in big antennas, but made several very fine contacts on 70 cm, also.

They are economical and effective units. Would I go with Kuhne or DownEast if cost was no object? Yes. For serious EME and extreme weak signal work, they would probably be a better option. For casual CW & SSB, both terrestrial and via satellite, the Elecrafts are a great value.
Photo of Sergey, R5AU

Sergey, R5AU

• 805 Posts
  • 97 Reply Likes
To: Marc

i have read article by KA7OEI http://www.ka7oei.com/10_MHz_Rubidium_FE-5680A.html
sum is  FE-5680A have not so good noise performance  :

recommendation is LPRO : http://www.ham-radio.com/sbms/LPRO-101.pdf
Photo of Sergey, R5AU

Sergey, R5AU

• 805 Posts
  • 97 Reply Likes
To: Marc

i have read article by KA7OEI http://www.ka7oei.com/10_MHz_Rubidium_FE-5680A.html
sum is  FE-5680A have not so good noise performance  :

recommendation is LPRO : http://www.ham-radio.com/sbms/LPRO-101.pdf
Photo of Marc Lalonde

Marc Lalonde

• 352 Posts
  • 86 Reply Likes
HI Sergey   , i always curious to knot at witch point phase noise of reference affect radio phase noise ?  , in most SDR like FLEX and HPSDR  the REF drive a software PLL whit some integration time    ,on the case of a transverter LO it another stories ;-)

but your got a good point now that swap my 6700 for a 6600  the 144 is now affected by VHF transverter  LO !!!  and 144 is my predilection EME operation   ,time to look for a LPRO-101    ,and on above microwave lack of actimity here limit the weack DX operation a bit 
Photo of Justin - KL2D

Justin - KL2D

• 85 Posts
  • 36 Reply Likes
I would add a +1 for DEMI transverters and their LDPA designed for the 6700. I have the LDPA, I previously had a 2M transverter I used with a different radio, and I currently have a 70cm transverter I am using with the F6700.

The LDPA and transverter work seamlessly with the 6700, and they have an interface switch to automate switching (DIPS). Don’t know how that would work with a 6600, but I suspect you could do a very similar setup.

FWIW, my experience is very quick answers to emails and telephone calls if you have questions, and the quality is very good. It does take a LONG TIME to get your transverters..... but in my experience it has been worth the wait.

Just my 2 cents...

Justin
KL2D
Photo of Burch - K4QXX

Burch - K4QXX

• 342 Posts
  • 56 Reply Likes
Another +1 for DEMI transverters.  It does take a long time but each one it custom built for the customer.  You can have them setup many different ways.

Burch
K4QXX
Photo of EA4GLI - 8P9EH - Salvador

EA4GLI - 8P9EH - Salvador

• 1747 Posts
  • 532 Reply Likes
I have to add another +1 for DEMI.
I have a 6700 with LPDA for VHF and L432-28HP for UHF.
I work Full Duplex sats without issue.
Looking to add 23cm. soon to work AO-92.
Photo of Marc Lalonde

Marc Lalonde

• 352 Posts
  • 86 Reply Likes
DEMI redesing it 23CM model since last 10 year ;-)
Photo of Sergey, R5AU

Sergey, R5AU

• 805 Posts
  • 97 Reply Likes
I have received latest 23cm by DEMY  at 15th Dec )

BTW

well Marc, coming back to the phase noise:

FE5680А phase noise at 10mhz not better then -100dbc/hz and 
phase noises degraded like 20*lg(N) that means on 24 Ghz will be -100+20*Lg(24000/10) = -32 dbc/Hz  - that means all received signals will be like Aurora/Scatter,in such cases better to have very usual thermo-stable oscillator  
Photo of Marc Lalonde

Marc Lalonde

• 352 Posts
  • 86 Reply Likes
ya  i now reconsider put back my Trimble Thunderbolt  into operation
but  the remote site is limited to 1296 for now , all above is portable gear and use on demand  ,way to low activity for permanent setup  
Photo of Kenneth Petersen

Kenneth Petersen

• 3 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Hi I have been using a MKU144 (Kuhne electronic) transverter for Years with my FLEX5000a.

I have made the Rest of the transverter myself, small PA sequence shift etc... 
I want to upgrade the Flex5000a to a flex6600, but could any of You tell me if it can monitor both 6 meters (or any other band) and 2 meters (xverter port with 10/2m transverter) in 2 seperate panadaptors.
It looks when watching Youtube videos like its possible to select the XVERTER the same way as any of the normal bands ?

oz1hdf Kenneth