Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Transverter with 6600

I plan to use transverters with the 6600.
What transverter do you recommend and is there some option that is needed to use transverters with 6600 ?

73's de SM0NCS/SC0N

Answers

• Sergey R5AU
    Sergey R5AU Member ✭✭
    edited January 2018
    well done with DEMI (www.downeastmicrowave.com)  or http://www.q5signal.com nowadays

in use with my F6700  transverters for 144/432/1296
  • G4NRT
    G4NRT Member ✭✭
    edited January 2018
    I can very highly recommend the transverters made by Kuhne in Germany.  Pricy but excellent and probably a better proposition for amateurs outside of the USA due to shipping and customs issues.
  • John - K3MA
    John - K3MA Member ✭✭
    edited April 2020
    Kuhne - Top shelf construction and performance.  Short leadtime. Good response in english to customer issues. Very high price.

DEMI - Good construction and perfromance.  Can be very long leadtime.  USA based but often cannot be reached by phone in a timely manner and slow email response. Medium price.

Transerter Store - Basic construction and performance.  On email support. Very low price.
  • Sergey R5AU
    Sergey R5AU Member ✭✭
    edited January 2018
    i confirm John statement
  • Tore Andersson
    edited January 2018
    Thanks a lot John for the information.
    I guess the GPSDO is something that would be preferable as an option on the 6600 when using transverters ?

• Sergey R5AU
    Sergey R5AU Member ✭✭
    edited January 2018
    Yea, i have use with clock splitter by DEMI for my transverters
  • Marc Lalonde
    Marc Lalonde Member ✭✭
    edited January 2018
    here is Kuhne  for 144 / 432 /1296  all whit external 10mhz REF 
    it ship to USA and Canada no problem  

i use FE-5680A Rubidium 10mhz source ,GPSDO require antenna and may got  QRM/ lighting 

i agree DEMI clock splitter work  really nice , i change a resistor  on the  port  that go to radio for meet the radio input specification 
  • wb7ond
    wb7ond Member ✭✭
    edited January 2018
    The converter store transverters (2/440) receive great, with 20db of receive gain. The transmit function is a whole "nother" problem.  Using the K3s in 2 tone on 28 Mhz, I viewed the 2M transmit signal on my Rigol 815 at a range of input drive levels, through a 40db pickoff, and the IM products were less than optimum. (:-)  This youtube video has some of the same result: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w8JQ0SIUlI8  
  • Marc Lalonde
    Marc Lalonde Member ✭✭
    edited January 2018
    That how look mt setup whit Kuhne for make QRO transverter ;-)

Each one have Transverter module whit 10mhz LO board 
    Cavity input LNA  , Power Amp  and relay for  XVRT in  / out 
    so XVRT signal is daisy chain to next "Brick"  based on band decoder 
    any "brick" that not in use send it RX only signal into a third port  that go into RXA or RXB if radio   , so on a 6600 it permit full duplex  ;-)

since Kuhne  made VHF module whit option for 24mhz IF  you may "mix" whit 28mhz 432
    on RXA  and still able to work 1296 or 6M  ,so 3 band in simultaneous  ,SO3R ?

the DB9  is in/out for PTT , Band decoder and RS-485 for monitoring PO/SWR/TEMP/PSU

not forgot the week-end contest ( if you still have a radio )

p.s.  i try converter store transverters  i find it prone to self oscillation
    out of the box bias is set for FM  ,not linear at all  , i still have one for 222Mhz
    but it not wort the money ...  ( this is my own thinking  )

VE2PN

• Justin W4JTD
    Justin W4JTD Member ✭✭
    edited August 2018
    I would add a +1 for DEMI transverters and their LDPA designed for the 6700. I have the LDPA, I previously had a 2M transverter I used with a different radio, and I currently have a 70cm transverter I am using with the F6700. The LDPA and transverter work seamlessly with the 6700, and they have an interface switch to automate switching (DIPS). Don’t know how that would work with a 6600, but I suspect you could do a very similar setup. FWIW, my experience is very quick answers to emails and telephone calls if you have questions, and the quality is very good. It does take a LONG TIME to get your transverters..... but in my experience it has been worth the wait. Just my 2 cents... 73 Justin KL2D
  • Neil D Friedman N3DF
    Neil D Friedman N3DF Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2018
    Any reason not to consider an Elecraft transporter?
  • Burch - K4QXX
    Burch - K4QXX Member ✭✭
    edited January 2018
    Another +1 for DEMI transverters.  It does take a long time but each one it custom built for the customer.  You can have them setup many different ways.

Burch
    K4QXX
  • Marc Lalonde
    Marc Lalonde Member ✭✭
    edited January 2018
    http://www.ok7gu.com/xv432_elecraft.htm

that typical to elecraft ,lot of after design mod ,and fix ;-)

https://www.mail-archive.com/elecraft@mailman.qth.net/msg215025.html
    The XV432 was discontinued because some of the critical parts are no longer available.

but got inspired by it daisy chain design   ;-)
  • wb7ond
    wb7ond Member ✭✭
    edited January 2018
    The convertor store had a note to leave out one of the circuit board screws to prevent the self-oscillation, I think it was for the 440 box...
  • Marc Lalonde
    Marc Lalonde Member ✭✭
    edited January 2018
    got it whit 144 version 
  • George KF2T
    George KF2T Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2018
    I have the Elecraft 144 and 432 transverters, and have used them very successfully with my 6500. Caveat -- I have the high-stability crystal and oven for 432, and use an external PLL (driven by the Flex GPSDO 10 MHz output) on 2 meters. I've made hundreds of 2m contacts via satellite, meteors, and EME using them. 432 activity out west was low, and I didn't invest in big antennas, but made several very fine contacts on 70 cm, also.

They are economical and effective units. Would I go with Kuhne or DownEast if cost was no object? Yes. For serious EME and extreme weak signal work, they would probably be a better option. For casual CW & SSB, both terrestrial and via satellite, the Elecrafts are a great value.
  • Sergey R5AU
    Sergey R5AU Member ✭✭
    edited January 2018
    To: Marc

i have read article by KA7OEI http://www.ka7oei.com/10_MHz_Rubidium_FE-5680A.html
    sum is  FE-5680A have not so good noise performance  :

recommendation is LPRO : http://www.ham-radio.com/sbms/LPRO-101.pdf

• Sergey R5AU
    Sergey R5AU Member ✭✭
    edited January 2018
    To: Marc

i have read article by KA7OEI http://www.ka7oei.com/10_MHz_Rubidium_FE-5680A.html
    sum is  FE-5680A have not so good noise performance  :

recommendation is LPRO : http://www.ham-radio.com/sbms/LPRO-101.pdf

• Marc Lalonde
    Marc Lalonde Member ✭✭
    edited January 2018
    HI Sergey   , i always curious to knot at witch point phase noise of reference affect radio phase noise ?  , in most SDR like FLEX and HPSDR  the REF drive a software PLL whit some integration time    ,on the case of a transverter LO it another stories ;-)

but your got a good point now that swap my 6700 for a 6600  the 144 is now affected by VHF transverter  LO !!!  and 144 is my predilection EME operation   ,time to look for a LPRO-101    ,and on above microwave lack of actimity here limit the weack DX operation a bit 
  • EA4GLI
    EA4GLI Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2018
    I have to add another +1 for DEMI.
    I have a 6700 with LPDA for VHF and L432-28HP for UHF.
    I work Full Duplex sats without issue.
    Looking to add 23cm. soon to work AO-92.
  • Marc Lalonde
    Marc Lalonde Member ✭✭
    edited January 2018
    DEMI redesing it 23CM model since last 10 year ;-)
  • Sergey R5AU
    Sergey R5AU Member ✭✭
    edited January 2018
    I have received latest 23cm by DEMY  at 15th Dec )

BTW

well Marc, coming back to the phase noise:

FE5680А phase noise at 10mhz not better then -100dbc/hz and 
    phase noises degraded like 20*lg(N) that means on 24 Ghz will be -100+20*Lg(24000/10) = -32 dbc/Hz  - that means all received signals will be like Aurora/Scatter,in such cases better to have very usual thermo-stable oscillator  

• Marc Lalonde
    Marc Lalonde Member ✭✭
    edited January 2018
    ya  i now reconsider put back my Trimble Thunderbolt  into operation
    but  the remote site is limited to 1296 for now , all above is portable gear and use on demand  ,way to low activity for permanent setup  
  • Kenneth Petersen
    Kenneth Petersen Member ✭✭
    edited June 2018
    Hi I have been using a MKU144 (Kuhne electronic) transverter for Years with my FLEX5000a.

I have made the Rest of the transverter myself, small PA sequence shift etc... 
    I want to upgrade the Flex5000a to a flex6600, but could any of You tell me if it can monitor both 6 meters (or any other band) and 2 meters (xverter port with 10/2m transverter) in 2 seperate panadaptors.
    It looks when watching Youtube videos like its possible to select the XVERTER the same way as any of the normal bands ?

oz1hdf Kenneth

• Neal Pollack, N6YFM
    Neal Pollack, N6YFM Member ✭✭
    edited February 2019
    Question:  I have never used a transverter.
    I am interested in adding a transverter to my Flex 6600 radio so
    I can play around with SSB and satellite reception on 144Mhz.
    But I also like to use digital modes occasionally.
    Can a transverter work with digital modes on 2m?

When I inquired at the Transverter Store (Ukraine)  about the low cost units,
    the owner replied that his transverters were fine for voice, but not OK for digital.

I would like to hear from someone that actually has and uses a
    more expensive transverter, does your model work only for SSB and FM,
    or can you do digital modes?   Does that require a transverter
    that can take the 10Mhz GPSDO reference input?

It sounds like the Demi units are middle of the price pack?
    Do the Demi units work for digital modes?

Thanks,

Neal
  • KENT HUFFORD
    KENT HUFFORD Member ✭✭
    edited July 2018
    I have a 144mhz and a 432mhz transverters from the Transverter Store (Ukraine). Well built, easy to use with my 6600 that has two transverter ports. 
    They are inexpensive if you just want to "play around". They seem to not be very sensitive, have harmonic and image issues. Not great on SATs, but do work. On local repeaters they work fine. They can even do DSTAR repeaters. Tho, the FLEXRADIO Waveform for DSTAR still has the buffer/timing issue.
  • George KF2T
    George KF2T Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 2018
    I suspect the transverter-store recommendation is because their units will have trouble with digital due to the duty cycle and need for excellent frequency stability. The Demis will work very well.
  • Marc Lalonde
    Marc Lalonde Member ✭✭
    edited July 2018
    i notice that most of time bias is not set good ,so linearity is not perfect  ,once adjusted it seem good ,but less power  

whit exception to MSK144  GPSDO  is nice but not a absolute necessity 

good thermal dissipation is a must 

here i use a brunch of that board as IF  for my microwave transverter 

• Neal Pollack, N6YFM
    Neal Pollack, N6YFM Member ✭✭
    edited July 2018
    A question, when I look over the Elecraft transverters, I can see that they recommend no more than 5 watts
    for FM or digital duty cycle, since they forgot to use a heatsink, other than perhaps the metal case.
    They also have no fan that I can see, for cooling.

For approx the same price, the  DEMI transverter has a huge heat sink and a fan (given 25 watts out).
    So clearly the DEMI can "really" do 25 watts for extended time.

Also, this is more a question;   On the DEMI units, you can see a 10 Mhz input for GPSDO or
    accurate timing source.   On the Elecraft, I can't see such an input.   But some people mention
    using an external timing source with Elecraft?   Is there some other input connector used for
    that?  Perhaps I am missing something, but for the similar price, it seems like DEMI is a much
    better built unit.    The Elecraft simply has better "looks".

Neal

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.