The "SDR" part of the Icom 7300 compared with Flex ?

• Question
  • Updated 2 years ago
  • (Edited)
I read the previous threads about an Icom 7300 verus Flex Signature series radios.  Most of the comments were subjective comments and some views on the ergonomics of the Icom. From a SDR design perspective (not knobs/lack of knobs, USB control, etc) how is the Icom compared to the technical specifications of a Flex 6000   (ADC sampling, etc) ??
Photo of Andrew O'Brien

Andrew O'Brien

• 369 Posts
  • 39 Reply Likes

Posted 2 years ago

Photo of Lee

Lee, Elmer

• 673 Posts
  • 281 Reply Likes
Official Response
I believe the 7300 is more like a SDR-1000 in terms of its design.  It direct converts to a baseband through the FPGA which then feeds a 36khz signal into a DSP chip where the "SDR" magic happens.  I think the chip is a version of Icom's off the shelf chip they have used since the Pro-3.  In the down conversion some video is split off from the FPGA and sent to a cell phone size touch display display.  The display has a maximum range of 1mhz or possibly 2mhz (the specs I read were not exactly clear)  The radio has 15 band pass filters so it is very different from the Flex.  IMHO all those filters were Icom's attempt to clean up ADC overload.  This design necessarily limits how much the "software" can be modified compared to the 6300 but the DSP is already pretty mature so I don't expect much modification to be happening anyway.  I don't think the FPGA has very much horsepower either.  

The 6300 picks up 7mhz of spectrum with it's more robust ADC and that is what is processed which is why you can view 7 mhz of bandwidth, and does not rely on any kind of BPF to pre-select the RF.  It's a very different kind of architecture with a more powerful ADC and FPGA as well as internal control processors which is why it can be a server and have he Flex API's etc.  The video is considerably superior in the information it conveys.  Like the 7300 the radio is primarily controlled through the display.  The 6300 is a considerably more complex and Flexible transceiver given the fact that it serves DAX and CAT as well as being able to connect to and tightly integrate with a multitude of third party programs.  For me the difference is like the difference between playing checkers and 3-D chess. 

73  W9OY