Shut down problem with 6300

• Problem
  • Updated 2 years ago
My 6300 abruptly shuts down and powers off. Only happens in receive - never transmit. It happens with two different computers. One windows 7- the other windows 10. The windows firewall is off on both. I am using Smart SDR 1.9.13     Any ideas?
Photo of ROGER

ROGER

• 12 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes

Posted 2 years ago

Photo of Mack McCormick

Mack McCormick, Elmer

• 318 Posts
  • 115 Reply Likes
Do you have a different power supply you can try? Also, disassemble and check the power pole connectors. Make sure the crimps are good and solder them if iyou have the ability. Report back if this doesn't fix the problem.

Mack
W4AX
Alpha Tester
Photo of ROGER

ROGER

• 12 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
Thanks Mack.  I'll give this a try and let you know.
Photo of KM4CQG

KM4CQG

• 226 Posts
  • 37 Reply Likes
How are you powering the Flex?

Only time I have seen this type of rapid shutdown has been power supply issue.

Ian
Photo of Ria - N2RJ

Ria - N2RJ, Elmer

• 2262 Posts
  • 886 Reply Likes
In my experience three things cause the radio to shut down.

1. Power interruption
2. Internal software error
3. RF ingress

I've had 3 happen a few times due to common mode currents. Fixed that and didn't have it again. I've had 1 happen as well due to my own operator error (short circuit connecting an attached station accessory).

Those are some things to check.
Photo of ROGER

ROGER

• 12 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
I have not had any power interruptions.  Points 2 and 3 are possibilities.  I have reloaded the software several times to try and rule out software.  Regarding RF, this always happens when in RX mode.  It has never happened when the TX is keyed so I don't think it is RF but I do wonder if that is possible.  Thanks for your comments.
Photo of Keith Flint

Keith Flint

• 32 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
Are the fans noisy? Over temp issues?
Photo of Tim - W4TME

Tim - W4TME, Customer Experience Manager

• 9152 Posts
  • 3471 Reply Likes
That would generate a issue specific error message.
Photo of ROGER

ROGER

• 12 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
Thanks Keith.  Fans are running but not noisy,  I can't find any shorts.  This has been an ongoing problem that I thought I had fixed by turning off the windows firewall but the problem has reappeared.  Thanks for your comments.
Photo of Ria - N2RJ

Ria - N2RJ, Elmer

• 2262 Posts
  • 886 Reply Likes
Can you see what the temp of the radio is? You can get this from DDUtil. Just to rule out any temperature issues.

I don't think Windows firewall would cause the radio to shut down. It could cause disconnects from SmartSDR but not a total shutdown. 

I think if all of that yields no fruit, you may just open a ticket with Flex and have them look at it to see if it's a hardware issue, assuming you're still under warranty. 
(Edited)
Photo of ROGER

ROGER

• 12 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
Hi Ria:

you tell me where to find DDUtil?  I can't seem to locate that.

Roger
Photo of Ria - N2RJ

Ria - N2RJ, Elmer

• 2262 Posts
  • 886 Reply Likes
Photo of Dave

Dave

• 89 Posts
  • 11 Reply Likes
Questions:

Does it shut down orderly, that is does the power light start blinking and then power off (orderly) or does it just go dark and never blink (lose of power)?

Has this just started happening with 1.9.13 or is this an on going thing?
Photo of ROGER

ROGER

• 12 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
It just goes dark - not preceded by blinking light.  I never had the problem with 1.8.4.  It first appeared with 1.9.13.
Photo of Tim - W4TME

• 9152 Posts
  • 3471 Reply Likes
If that does not provide any remedy, I'd recommend opening a HelpDesk ticket.  I do not think this is software related based on your problem description.
Photo of ROGER

ROGER

• 12 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
Hi Tim:

Thanks for your interest.  I have been struggling with this issue for quite a while.  The radio was sent back to Flex on 11/18/16 under RMA15977 after spending a few weeks trying to resolve the problem.  It ran in the Flex repair shop for several days. It did not shut down and was returned to me on 12/13/16 after passing all production tests.  The shutdowns did not reoccur until 1/15/17 and continued on 1/16 and 1/17.  Shutdowns did not occur on 1/18 or 1/19 and the radio was running all day.  When the radio goes dead the green power light just disappears, it does not flash several times as it does when I am turning the radio off.  The power supply light remains on.  I have looked for any questionable connections numerous times and can not find any.  When the shutdowns occur an error message appears saying that the connection to the radio has been lost.  This always happens in the receive mode - never when transmitting,  Therefore, I don't think this can be RF related.

When I am turning the radio off, I always exit the software, turn off the radio and wait for the green power light to go dark before shutting off the power supply.  I decided to see what would happen if I turned off the power supply without first exiting the software and turning off the radio.  It behaves exactly as it does when abruptly shutting down.  The green power light goes off without first flashing several times.  This leaves me wondering if the problem could be caused by very brief interruptions in the power supply that do not cause the power supply to actually turn off.  The power supply is the 25 AMP Astron that I bought from Flex in September when I bought the radio.  Unfortunately, I don't have a spare so I may have to buy one to test this theory.  This is very perplexing.  Any help you can provide will be most appreciated.

73s

Roger Malek KC9WZ
Photo of Mack McCormick

Mack McCormick, Elmer

• 318 Posts
  • 115 Reply Likes
If you don't have another 12V power supply then do you have a 12v battery you can place in parallel with the power leads. That would also eliminate a power supply issue.

Mack
Photo of Tim - W4TME

• 9152 Posts
  • 3471 Reply Likes
Good idea.
Photo of Dave

Dave

• 89 Posts
  • 11 Reply Likes
something you may want to try, take a screw drive and gentle hit the power supply and or the radio with the handle end. If you have a intermittent connection, it might show up. Old TV repairman trick.
Photo of YV5WZ

YV5WZ

• 386 Posts
  • 47 Reply Likes
Definitively I declare myself  fan of "Ria N2RJ" 
Photo of Ross - K9COX

Ross - K9COX

• 337 Posts
  • 103 Reply Likes
I have noticed that when using several devices on a power supply common to the Flex that even the slightest short will shut down the radio. It can be so quick as to not even trip the power supply however the radio will shut down.
Photo of Ross - K9COX

Ross - K9COX

• 337 Posts
  • 103 Reply Likes
Not sure how such a momentary duration short external to the radio so quick as to not trip the power supply would damage it...however I'm not complaining just observed it.
Photo of ROGER

ROGER

• 12 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
The only other device connected to the power supply is a small 12 volt relay that keys the amplifier.  I don't think that is the problem as the radio has never shut down when being keyed.  Only shut down in the receive mode.  Thanks very much for your inputs.
Photo of ROGER

ROGER

• 12 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
Tim:

I do have a small 12 volt relay that triggers the amplifier powered by the same power supply as the radio - nothing else.  I doubt that is the problem as the radio never shuts down when the transmitter is keyed - only shuts down in receive mode.  The radio does not go through a wireless router.  It is connected directly to the computer by the ethernet cable.  However, a wireless router does come into play if I use the computer to open  QRZ.com or check email while operating.  I am wondering if that could have something to do with this problem.  I am going to disconnect the computer from the wireless router as a test.  Since shutdowns are now infrequent it may take quite a while to test this theory.  I am still confused on how a loss in connectivity between the radio and the computer can cause the radio to power off.  Thanks for your inputs.  I'll let you know if I figure anything out.  I suspect others must also run into this problem.

73s

Roger Malek
Photo of Bill W2PKY

Bill W2PKY

• 28 Posts
  • 5 Reply Likes
Can you scope the power supply output to see if there are any glitches? Perhaps strapping big electrolytics across the output to see if that solves the problem?
Photo of wb3fsr

wb3fsr

• 15 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Roger,

You mentioned a relay connected to your primary 13.8 Vdc supply and this got my attention...

Do you have a flyback (snubber) diode across the relay coil? If not, I suspect this may be your cause for radio shutdown.  I have seen delayed issues where equipment running processors have been glitched an ultimately crash  at a later point in time.

Should you not be familiar with this type of protection and the serious damage that could result, please review the following video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6I7Ycbv8B8

73 de PeterV
WB3FSR Jersey Shore