Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Shut down problem with 6300

ROGER
ROGER Member
My 6300 abruptly shuts down and powers off. Only happens in receive - never transmit. It happens with two different computers. One windows 7- the other windows 10. The windows firewall is off on both. I am using Smart SDR 1.9.13     Any ideas?

Comments

• Mack
    Mack Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2019
    Do you have a different power supply you can try? Also, disassemble and check the power pole connectors. Make sure the crimps are good and solder them if iyou have the ability. Report back if this doesn't fix the problem. 73, Mack W4AX Alpha Tester
  • Ian1
    Ian1 Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    How are you powering the Flex? Only time I have seen this type of rapid shutdown has been power supply issue. Ian
  • Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2019
    In my experience three things cause the radio to shut down. 1. Power interruption 2. Internal software error 3. RF ingress I've had 3 happen a few times due to common mode currents. Fixed that and didn't have it again. I've had 1 happen as well due to my own operator error (short circuit connecting an attached station accessory). Those are some things to check.
  • Keith Flint
    Keith Flint Member ✭✭
    edited February 2020
    Are the fans noisy? Over temp issues?
  • ROGER
    ROGER Member
    edited January 2017
    Thanks Keith.  Fans are running but not noisy,  I can't find any shorts.  This has been an ongoing problem that I thought I had fixed by turning off the windows firewall but the problem has reappeared.  Thanks for your comments.
  • ROGER
    ROGER Member
    edited January 2017
    I have not had any power interruptions.  Points 2 and 3 are possibilities.  I have reloaded the software several times to try and rule out software.  Regarding RF, this always happens when in RX mode.  It has never happened when the TX is keyed so I don't think it is RF but I do wonder if that is possible.  Thanks for your comments.
  • ROGER
    ROGER Member
    edited January 2017
    Thanks Mack.  I'll give this a try and let you know.
  • Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2019
    Can you see what the temp of the radio is? You can get this from DDUtil. Just to rule out any temperature issues.

I don't think Windows firewall would cause the radio to shut down. It could cause disconnects from SmartSDR but not a total shutdown. 

I think if all of that yields no fruit, you may just open a ticket with Flex and have them look at it to see if it's a hardware issue, assuming you're still under warranty. 
  • ROGER
    ROGER Member
    edited November 2019
    Hi Ria:

you tell me where to find DDUtil?  I can't seem to locate that.

Roger
  • DaveC
    DaveC Member ✭✭
    edited May 2018
    Questions:

Does it shut down orderly, that is does the power light start blinking and then power off (orderly) or does it just go dark and never blink (lose of power)?

Has this just started happening with 1.9.13 or is this an on going thing?
  • ROGER
    ROGER Member
    edited November 2019
    It just goes dark - not preceded by blinking light.  I never had the problem with 1.8.4.  It first appeared with 1.9.13.
  • Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2017
  • DaveC
    DaveC Member ✭✭
    edited January 2017
    How do feel about regressing to 1.8.4 for about a week? This would help to eliminate a hardware issue. 

How often does it happen by the way? 
    Do you leave your radio on all the time?
  • ROGER
    ROGER Member
    edited January 2017
    That is probably a good idea.  I actually sent the radio back to Flex since they could not resolve the problem by email.  They said the radio is fine.  After disabling the windows firewall the problem disappeared for about a month and just reappeared 3 days ago.  It happened 3 times yesterday morning and then the radio ran for 13 hours with no interruptions.  It then happened 3 times this morning.  I need to head out for a while now but will leave the radio on.  I don't think this is RF related since it never happens when the key is down - only happens in receive.  Thanks for your comments.  I;ll see if it is still running when I return.  I'll let you know.  Thanks again.

73's
    Roger
  • Mack
    Mack Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2017
    Roger, Respectfully, this is almost ALWAYS a power supply problem. Have you tried a different power supply? I suggested this early this morning. Mack
  • Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2017
    Also the cables should be secured. I use ring terminals which I crimped and soldered. 
  • DaveC
    DaveC Member ✭✭
    edited January 2017
    Mack,

I tend to agree. But it doesn't hurt to try 1.8.4. 
  • ROGER
    ROGER Member
    edited January 2017
    You may very well be right.  i will need to get another power supply to check that out.
  • ROGER
    ROGER Member
    edited January 2017
    That is my next move.  Thanks so much for your help.
  • YV5WZ
    YV5WZ Member ✭✭
    edited December 2019
    Definitively I declare myself  fan of "Ria N2RJ" 

• Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited January 2017
    That would generate a issue specific error message.
  • Tim - W4TME
    edited January 2017
    If that does not provide any remedy, I'd recommend opening a HelpDesk ticket.  I do not think this is software related based on your problem description.
  • Tim - W4TME
    edited January 2017
    If that does not provide any remedy, I'd recommend opening a HelpDesk ticket.  I do not think this is software related based on your problem description.
  • ROGER
    ROGER Member
    edited January 2017
    Hi Tim:

Thanks for your interest.  I have been struggling with this issue for quite a while.  The radio was sent back to Flex on 11/18/16 under RMA15977 after spending a few weeks trying to resolve the problem.  It ran in the Flex repair shop for several days. It did not shut down and was returned to me on 12/13/16 after passing all production tests.  The shutdowns did not reoccur until 1/15/17 and continued on 1/16 and 1/17.  Shutdowns did not occur on 1/18 or 1/19 and the radio was running all day.  When the radio goes dead the green power light just disappears, it does not flash several times as it does when I am turning the radio off.  The power supply light remains on.  I have looked for any questionable connections numerous times and can not find any.  When the shutdowns occur an error message appears saying that the connection to the radio has been lost.  This always happens in the receive mode - never when transmitting,  Therefore, I don't think this can be RF related.

When I am turning the radio off, I always exit the software, turn off the radio and wait for the green power light to go dark before shutting off the power supply.  I decided to see what would happen if I turned off the power supply without first exiting the software and turning off the radio.  It behaves exactly as it does when abruptly shutting down.  The green power light goes off without first flashing several times.  This leaves me wondering if the problem could be caused by very brief interruptions in the power supply that do not cause the power supply to actually turn off.  The power supply is the 25 AMP Astron that I bought from Flex in September when I bought the radio.  Unfortunately, I don't have a spare so I may have to buy one to test this theory.  This is very perplexing.  Any help you can provide will be most appreciated.

73s

Roger Malek KC9WZ
  • Mack
    Mack Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2017
    If you don't have another 12V power supply then do you have a 12v battery you can place in parallel with the power leads. That would also eliminate a power supply issue. Mack
  • Tim - W4TME
    edited January 2017
    Good idea.
  • DaveC
    DaveC Member ✭✭
    edited January 2017
    something you may want to try, take a **** drive and gentle hit the power supply and or the radio with the handle end. If you have a intermittent connection, it might show up. Old TV repairman trick.
  • Ross - K9COX
    Ross - K9COX Member ✭✭
    edited July 2017
    I have noticed that when using several devices on a power supply common to the Flex that even the slightest short will shut down the radio. It can be so quick as to not even trip the power supply however the radio will shut down.
  • Tim - W4TME
    edited January 2017
    And that is a good thing.  The radio is protecting itself from what would end up being a non-warranty repair.
  • Ross - K9COX
    Ross - K9COX Member ✭✭
    edited January 2017
    Not sure how such a momentary duration short external to the radio so quick as to not trip the power supply would damage it...however I'm not complaining just observed it.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.