remote with 6500

• Question
  • Updated 2 years ago
Is there a way to remote into my 6500 with a computer at the remote site, but just the 6500 at the local. I'm using the latest ver of SmartSDR.

73 Jeff kb2m
Photo of Jeff Griffin

Jeff Griffin

• 13 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes

Posted 2 years ago

Photo of Tim - W4TME

Tim - W4TME, Customer Experience Manager

• 9197 Posts
  • 3557 Reply Likes
I do not understand the question.  SmartLink will allow you to access the radio over the Internet with a PC running SmartSDR or Maestro running version 2.0 or greater.  You can use the same PC and Maestro to access your radio on the local LAN too.
Photo of Ray Andrews, K9DUR

Ray Andrews, K9DUR, Elmer

• 251 Posts
  • 63 Reply Likes
Jeff,

If I understand your question, then the answer is "Yes".  All you have to do is run SmartSDR v2.x on the computer at the remote site and connect via SmartLink.

73, Ray, K9DUR
Photo of Ken - NM9P

Ken - NM9P

• 4239 Posts
  • 1351 Reply Likes
Jeff, Your confusion may be in that you must have internet, a computer, and physical access to your rig at the local site in order to REGISTER your rig to run remotely with Smartlink and V.2.0.  

But once you have registered it properly, all you need is your rig, connected to the internet....That is what all the hype is about with the V.2.0 Smartlink upgrade...

Unless you need to remote control your antenna rotor, and some other things that require a local computer to run...

Ken - NM9P
Photo of Jim Gilliam

Jim Gilliam

• 944 Posts
  • 218 Reply Likes

It's always good to have a remote computer for remoting all the other "goodies." There is a Chinese company called Hystou that makes fanless PC's that consume only 12 Watts. They are ideal for stand-alone remoting as they can run 24/7. I use Windows 7 so I am not getting those damned updates every hour.

Jim, K6QE

(Edited)