Old Flex 3000 Power Calibration Procedure

• Question
  • Updated 1 day ago
Has anyone done a power calibration on a Flex 3000?  I have the correct Powermaster meter available to me and I have done the 5000A before. Is the procedure the same for the 3000?

I notice my PowerSDR power reading is 7-10 watts lower than actual output power.

I hate to send it in and be without the radio for a long time.
Photo of K4MT

K4MT

• 29 Posts
  • 9 Reply Likes

Posted 1 week ago

Photo of K4MT

K4MT

• 29 Posts
  • 9 Reply Likes
Is this a top secret procedure?  I know Flex does not really want to work on these out of production radios so I have the proper power meter to do the job if I just had a  procedure that I feel wont brick my radio. I asked this in a trouble ticket and got no reply.

It seems the 5000 procedure must be close but it uses a 25 ohm load on ant 2 that is switched in during the SWR part of the alignment. Since the 3000 does not have that second ant port I wonder if the procedure detects the radio being calibrated and amends the procedure.
Photo of Bill -VA3WTB

Bill -VA3WTB

• 2998 Posts
  • 660 Reply Likes
Flex still fully suports all their radios, as long as parts are available.
Photo of Dudley - WA5QPZ

Dudley - WA5QPZ, Elmer

• 83 Posts
  • 13 Reply Likes
Gary,
Unless you just HAVE to have the exact indicated RF output, I would leave it alone, in normal use , SSB for example, the sample rate of the RF bridge , will not be an accurate indication of output in PowerSDR. You only verify RF output put with constant carrier, normally using the “Tune” function. If you have a PowerMaster 1 (PM 2 will not work) Power output and SWR tests are run separately. You could have a component like a diode or resistor in the bridge that has changed values too, causing a different reading in RF output. Best to check into a dummy load , as antenna system reactance has a big effect on indicated power output also.

Dudley
WA5QPZ
Photo of K4MT

K4MT

• 29 Posts
  • 9 Reply Likes
Thanks very much Dudley.

What I have is 97-113 W on all bands except 20 M where power is 125 watts into load and in tune. I have a power master original that just came back from calibration.
I wondered if what was  necessary was to run SWR by itself with a 25 ohm resistor like on the 5000. I do also have 10 watt error on powersdr power reading. When I have 100 watts output it reads 90. Not a big issue since I monitor power with power master and not reading in PowerSDR.

I may just leave it alone but I worrky about forgetting the power is so high on 20 M that I might forget and  key it into amp at 125 watts drive.

None of these problems are worth taking repair time away from new radios.

Again Thanks

Gary K4MT