Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Old Flex 3000 Power Calibration Procedure

K4MT
K4MT Member ✭✭
Has anyone done a power calibration on a Flex 3000?  I have the correct Powermaster meter available to me and I have done the 5000A before. Is the procedure the same for the 3000?

I notice my PowerSDR power reading is 7-10 watts lower than actual output power.

I hate to send it in and be without the radio for a long time.

Answers

• K4MT
    K4MT Member ✭✭
    edited October 2019
    Is this a top secret procedure?  I know Flex does not really want to work on these out of production radios so I have the proper power meter to do the job if I just had a  procedure that I feel wont brick my radio. I asked this in a trouble ticket and got no reply.

It seems the 5000 procedure must be close but it uses a 25 ohm load on ant 2 that is switched in during the SWR part of the alignment. Since the 3000 does not have that second ant port I wonder if the procedure detects the radio being calibrated and amends the procedure.
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Flex still fully suports all their radios, as long as parts are available.
  • Dudley  WA5QPZ
    Dudley WA5QPZ Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    Gary, Unless you just HAVE to have the exact indicated RF output, I would leave it alone, in normal use , SSB for example, the sample rate of the RF bridge , will not be an accurate indication of output in PowerSDR. You only verify RF output put with constant carrier, normally using the “Tune” function. If you have a PowerMaster 1 (PM 2 will not work) Power output and SWR tests are run separately. You could have a component like a diode or resistor in the bridge that has changed values too, causing a different reading in RF output. Best to check into a dummy load , as antenna system reactance has a big effect on indicated power output also. Dudley WA5QPZ
  • K4MT
    K4MT Member ✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Thanks very much Dudley.

What I have is 97-113 W on all bands except 20 M where power is 125 watts into load and in tune. I have a power master original that just came back from calibration.
    I wondered if what was  necessary was to run SWR by itself with a 25 ohm resistor like on the 5000. I do also have 10 watt error on powersdr power reading. When I have 100 watts output it reads 90. Not a big issue since I monitor power with power master and not reading in PowerSDR.

I may just leave it alone but I worrky about forgetting the power is so high on 20 M that I might forget and  key it into amp at 125 watts drive.

None of these problems are worth taking repair time away from new radios.

Again Thanks

Gary K4MT
  • K4MT
    K4MT Member ✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Dudley:

I have one question. On the 5000 cal screen there is a SWR button that allows you to do the SWR but I dont see that button on the 3000 cal screen.  I know how to do the power cal since I have done a 5000A but how do I do the swr 25 ohm load cal? Is there a set of keys I need to press to see it or is it done a different way

Thanks

Gary K4MT
  • K4MT
    K4MT Member ✭✭
    edited January 2019
    I figured out how to do the 3000 PA calibration. My radio now is 100W per band and power reading in powersdr reads correctly. Before doing this my power varied all over the place from band to band and powersdr power reading was 10 W low.  Now my 3000 is like new again.

Gary K4MT
  • K4jns
    K4jns Member
    edited January 2019
    How is this done?
  • K4MT
    K4MT Member ✭✭
    edited January 2019
    You must have an Array Solutions powermaster meter. Must be the powermaster original and not powermaster II.  If you have that meter contact me off group and I will tell you how its done.
  • Wade Benge
    Wade Benge Member
    edited October 2019
    My flex 3000 has very low wattage on all bands, can that be repaired. Was woking great  then next day this started.
  • Tiberius1
    Tiberius1 Member
    Could someone please let me know how to calibrate tx power
  • Morris Wideman
    Morris Wideman Member ✭✭

Does anyone have a Array Solutions Powermast they would be willing to lend so I can do the power calibration on my Flex 5000A. Willing to pay shipping possibly more. I had to replace the two driver FET`s and now radio needs to be calibrated. Thanks 73 Morris WA4MIT

• Hal Massey
    Hal Massey Member ✭✭
    "You don't need to have an Array Solutions PowerMaster per se. An old HP-436A that has been calibrated or a Bird 43 directional wattmeter, etc. will work fine. What is needed is a lab calibrated directional coupled wattmeter. The Array Solutions one just happens to be that...\n\n\n"}]

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.