microphones for 6400 M

• Question
  • Updated 6 hours ago
I am looking for info about what microphones will work with the Flex 6400M.  I have heil HM-12, PR-10.  HM-pro handi mike.  Where can one find out what mikes will go with the flex and the cables needed that will interface with it.
Photo of oldranger821 KB4OIF

oldranger821 KB4OIF

• 67 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes

Posted 1 month ago

Photo of Tim - W4TME

Tim - W4TME, Customer Experience Manager

• 8346 Posts
  • 3122 Reply Likes
You can wire up just about any microphone to a FLEX-6000 unless it requires phantom power (48 VDC) to operate, like large diaphragm mics.  People have used PC headsets, value mics from Radio Shack (when they were in business) and high-end audiophile mics.  Only your budget is the limit.

For Heil mics, if the mic is a 4-pin XLR, you need this:
http://cart.flexradio.com/4-Pin-XLR-to-18in-35mm-TRS-and-RCA-for-FLEX-6400M-or-FLEX-6600M_p_1027.htm...

For 3-pin XLR, use this:
http://cart.flexradio.com/3-Pin-XLR-to-18in-35mm-TRS-for-FLEX-6400M_p_1026.html
(Edited)

oldranger821 KB4OIF

• 67 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
Hi Tim.  thanks.  I have a Heil HM-pro,  Pr-10, Heil HM-12   and various others.  Heil Pro 7 and a Heil pro set.

oldranger821 KB4OIF

• 67 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
Will they have these available at the Hamcation in Orlando or should I order them here?
Photo of Tim - W4TME

Tim - W4TME, Customer Experience Manager

• 8346 Posts
  • 3122 Reply Likes
As a practice, FlexRadio does not take actual products to hamfests to sell.  We take an order request that is fulfilled and shipped from Texas.

oldranger821 KB4OIF

• 67 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
OK since I will need them for my mikes, I will order the cables today.

oldranger821 KB4OIF

• 67 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
OK.  Found out my Pro 7 has a IC element.  If I change that to a H-74 element will it  work on the 6400M.

oldranger821 KB4OIF

• 67 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
http://cart.flexradio.com/3-Pin-XLR-to-18in-35mm-TRS-for-FLEX-6400M_p_1026.html     

Is this the right cable to match up with the Heil 781 mic.   Says something about does not have push to talk.

oldranger821 KB4OIF

• 67 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
Can you folks point me toward a switch that will work.  I have never had a good experience with VOX.  Too many ah's and em's.
KB4OIF
Photo of David Decoons wo2x

David Decoons wo2x, Elmer

• 895 Posts
  • 181 Reply Likes
I use a Heil FS2 foot switch at main operating position and RadioSport hand PTT switch with Maestro.

The hand switch is nice since it has a locking on/off button and a momentary button. Whichever you are more comfortable using.

Dave wo2x

oldranger821 KB4OIF

• 67 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
Thanks Dave.  This is my first flex.  Trying to learn what works with what.  Mine should be here first part of April. 
Photo of David Decoons wo2x

David Decoons wo2x, Elmer

• 895 Posts
  • 181 Reply Likes
Any switch that provides a dry closure contact should work for the PTT. The cable from the switch needs to terminate into an RCA male connector for the 6000 series radios.

With that said I have read of all kinds of stuff being used for PTT, from a homemade project box with toggle switch to a sewing machine pedal.

Dave wo2x
Photo of Ted  VE3TRQ

Ted VE3TRQ

• 13 Posts
  • 7 Reply Likes
I have successfully used electric guitar/piano sustain pedals for PTT foot switches. They are robust and invariably designed to "stick" to the floor with their weight and good rubber pads. Almost all come with a switch to change close/open on activating the pedal, and a decent long cord with a 1/4 inch phone plug. And they cost aroun $20!

oldranger821 KB4OIF

• 67 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
OK.  Got the switch and the cable ordered.  Thought I had a switch, but could not locate it.  Probably sold it years ago at our local hamfest.

oldranger821 KB4OIF

• 67 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
Am I correct that the heil mike's that are IC do not work with the flex or am i all wet with my thinking????