Longwave reception of Flex6400

• Problem
  • Updated 2 days ago
Hi,

I found that longwave reception of Flex6400 is only okay with the RF gain at 0. If RF gain is increased sensitivity drops a lot but not linear with the gain. Signal meter reading also drops for example from S9+6dB to S7 , S8, S5 and S5 with RF gain changed from 0 to 32dB. The sensitivity roll off starts at about 350kHz.

Thomas
DF1TB
Photo of Thomas Berner

Thomas Berner

• 10 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes

Posted 2 weeks ago

Photo of Thomas Berner

Thomas Berner

• 10 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
Hello,

Maybe someone from Flexradio can give a comment?

Additionally I would be interested in the MDS or similar sensitivity specification for the stated RX frequency range of 30kHz - 54MHz. The Hardware Reference Manual says Nothing about that.

Thank you!

Thomas
DF1TB
(Edited)
Photo of HCampbell  WB4IVF

HCampbell WB4IVF

• 275 Posts
  • 84 Reply Likes
Have you tried a "factory reset" yet?
Photo of Thomas Berner

Thomas Berner

• 10 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
This I would only do if some other user tells me that his 6400/6600 is not showing this behaviour. But so far nobody took the effort. 
Photo of N8SDR

N8SDR

• 163 Posts
  • 26 Reply Likes
Thomas I'd try and see what happens here, But  I can't I have an AN broadcast station about 700 feet away and it overloads the front end . I wouldn't be able to give you any good info becuase of that.
Photo of Thomas Berner

Thomas Berner

• 10 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
Thank you, we no longer have this Problem
 in Germany, all AM broadcasters are gone since several years.
Photo of HCampbell  WB4IVF

HCampbell WB4IVF

• 275 Posts
  • 84 Reply Likes

Took me a while to find a real signal in all the locally generated noise here.  Finally found a CW signal on 350kHz:

@ -8dB gain, CW signal strength shows -70dBm  / S9+

@ +32dB gain, noise floor drops and CW signal strength shows -90dBm / S7+

So probably normal Flex preamp behavior at those frequencies.

(Edited)
Photo of Thomas Berner

Thomas Berner

• 10 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
Here are screenshots to show my Problem:
Photo of Thomas Berner

Thomas Berner

• 10 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
Hello again,

thanks for the help and confirmation of my observation.

For me it is quite clear that the  current Flex Series has a poor performing preamp on longwave. There is even some degradation on AM band of about 3dB at 1.5MHz, 160m seems to be okay.

Thomas
DF1TB
Photo of Thomas Berner

Thomas Berner

• 10 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
Hello,

I finally found what I was looking for in the ARRL test report on Flex6400M , available in the download area. They measured the noise floor (MDS) with -115dBm at 137kHz (no preamp) and -98dBm (+32dB preamp) and at 475kHz with -117dBm /-115dBm (0/32dB).  The preamps seem to work normal from 3.5MHz up (1.8MHz not tested).
It is a pity that nobody from Flexradio took the small effort to leave a short comment here.
Clarified for me now albeit quite disappointing result.
Thomas

DF1TB