Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Local Noise Generator Found

Options
John KB4DU
John KB4DU Member ✭✭✭✭
Did a hunt yesterday as part of the ongoing noise mitigation effort at
the QTH. After powering the Flex 6400 with a battery and laptop on battery power, I started flipping breakers, finally localized the source to the shack(naturally). After unplugging each item in turn, (Modem, Router, Access Point, Monitor, etc) the noise reduced 20dB when I unplugged the USB powered Bluetooth/WiFi speaker. Now 20M shows -110 dB noise floor when 400Hz bandwidth selected. What a difference!

Comments

• Neal_K3NC
    Neal_K3NC Member ✭✭
    edited July 2019
    Options
    That is great news, congratulations!
  • N8AUM
    N8AUM Member ✭✭
    edited July 2019
    Options
    Good find!!!  Glad our FCC is still on top of things allowing garbage to be imported !
    I bet ur gizmo sais "FCC APPROVED"? LOL
  • KF4HR
    KF4HR Member ✭✭
    edited July 2019
    Options
    Thanks for posting John.  I need to run through the same tests here.
  • Mike W9OJ
    Mike W9OJ Member ✭✭
    edited July 2019
    Options
    Any one can print a label and stick it on a device. No way the FCC can check every one of zillions of imported devices. 
  • N8AUM
    N8AUM Member ✭✭
    edited July 2019
    Options
    Yup, not like it was over 20yrs ago when they had some control on stuff being imported. I remember in the old days my brother had sever RFI, long story short, they went up with a helicopter and found the source a few miles away, it was a clock radio and the 10 people scattered like roaches when they knocked on the door. I have soo much RFI it's not even funny but like they say " you get what u pay for "

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.