Intel Compute Stick CS125 Computer

• Question
  • Updated 2 years ago
Anyone running Smart SDR on one of these that just plugs into the back of any HDMI port on a TV?
Was wondering how it would work.
Photo of KK9W - Steve

KK9W - Steve

• 620 Posts
  • 187 Reply Likes

Posted 2 years ago

Photo of Mike Heitmann

Mike Heitmann

• 12 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
I've not tried a Compute Stick, but I have it running on a Kangaroo PC:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product...
Mike, N0SO
Photo of Steven G1XOW

Steven G1XOW

• 280 Posts
  • 118 Reply Likes
How WELL does it run Mike?  do you have panadaptor averaging turned beyond say half way, any audio drop out, stuttering screen etc.
Photo of WA2SQQ

WA2SQQ

• 398 Posts
  • 84 Reply Likes
Neat little package. With its limited storage, how long does it take to boot? Have you compared how responsive it is compared to running a 6xxx radio on a traditional PC?
Photo of Mike Heitmann

Mike Heitmann

• 12 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
The Kangaroo PC has a quad core processor, and it runs SmartSDR with my 6300 (or PowerSDR with my 1500) surprisingly well. I was using it with FLDIGI for PSK31 operation, so I wasn't paying a lot of attention to the audio, but I never noticed audio dropouts, audio latency, any anomalies with the display, etc. It actually boots up pretty quickly. Limited storage and memory could be an issue, I put an SD card in mine for additional file storage. I have it install to the SD card when that is an option. It has the capability to use an iPad as its main display, either through the USB cable or via VNC. The combination makes a great travel PC.

Off topic for this forum, but I also use it reprogram my mobile DSTAR rigs without removing them from the vehicle. The PC has a built in battery, so I just connect the programming cable to the rig and then use a old iPad to VNC connect to the PC.
Photo of AA0KM

AA0KM

• 303 Posts
  • 52 Reply Likes

http://arstechnica.com/ars-podcast/2016/07/intels-core-m-compute-stick-is-fast-enough-but-not-quite-cheap-enough/

If you had limited space or something this might do it.

Getting pretty pricey.

Photo of KC9NRN

KC9NRN

• 324 Posts
  • 32 Reply Likes

I'm using the newer CS525 with an 8500 series Samsung 55" 1080P TV, so far only TX but works great over the wireless.

(Edited)