FMH-2 Microphone now included with the FLEX-6600/M and FLEX-6400/M

• Idea
  • Updated 5 months ago
  • Implemented
  • (Edited)
Based on continued constructive user feedback, we are officially announcing that all of the FLEX-6600 and the FLEX-6400 Signature Series SDRs, including the "M" models, will ship with a FlexRadio FHM-2 condenser hand mic. The mic will connect to the back of the radio, using the 1/8' mic connector for audio and the RCA PTT connector for keying the radio.  The mic cable will be long enough to allow for convenient operation with the radio on a desktop.  We will be updating the New Product FAQ shortly to reflect this change. Thank you for your continued positive feedback.
Photo of Tim - W4TME

Tim - W4TME, Customer Experience Manager

• 9152 Posts
  • 3478 Reply Likes

Posted 1 year ago

Photo of Mike - W8MM

Mike - W8MM

• 189 Posts
  • 40 Reply Likes
Sorry to be OT, but what's the difference between the FHM-1 and FHM-2 microphones?
Photo of Tim - W4TME

• 9152 Posts
  • 3478 Reply Likes
2 is greater than 1, so it must be better ;-)

The FHM-2 is a higher gain, wider response range condenser microphone.  The FHM-1 was a low gain dynamic mic.
Photo of Logan, KZ6O

Logan, KZ6O

• 31 Posts
  • 5 Reply Likes
So given that I make the connectors match up, are you saying that my $250 Heil Pro7 that I bought for my 6500 will not work with the 6600, and that I need to replace it with a Pro7 iC?
Photo of David Decoons wo2x

David Decoons wo2x, Elmer

• 1206 Posts
  • 247 Reply Likes
No. You may need to use the 20 dB boost in SmartSDR with the dynamic element of the Pro 7. You will need an adapter to go from the plug on the Pro 7 to the audio in, audio out, and PTT on the rear of the 6600.

Dave wo2x
Photo of George Molnar, KF2T

George Molnar, KF2T, Elmer

• 1590 Posts
  • 555 Reply Likes
Can the mic be removed from the order, perhaps for a small discount? I’ve never even unboxed my 6500’s FHM.
(Edited)

• 1207 Posts
  • 247 Reply Likes
Tim will the cable be detachable on the FHM-2 included with the 6400/6600 models? That way users can order the optional cable from Flex to use the FHM-2 mic with a Maestro.

Dave wo2x
Photo of Tim - W4TME

• 9152 Posts
  • 3478 Reply Likes
Yes, it will.

• 1207 Posts
  • 247 Reply Likes
Excellent!
Photo of Robert Lonn

Robert Lonn

• 288 Posts
  • 70 Reply Likes
I have activated the Bias setting for the FHM-2 for my 6600M,, however the push buttons on the microphone are not changing the frequency?? I looked in the manual but cant seem to find if their is a setting or function that needs to be turned on, as was the case with the Bias..

Robert
Photo of Tim - W4TME

• 9152 Posts
  • 3478 Reply Likes
That feature is not available using the 1/8" TRS jack on the 6600/6400 because there are no control lines for it to address the frequency change.  That is only available when connected to an RJ-45 or 8-pin Foster mic connector.
(Edited)
Photo of Rick  WN2C

Rick WN2C

• 277 Posts
  • 33 Reply Likes
Can the 6400 have a 1/4 inch plug Please!!!
Photo of Tim - W4TME

• 9152 Posts
  • 3478 Reply Likes
Only the FLEX-6600 and FLEX-6600M will have a balanced mic input.
Photo of Rick  WN2C

Rick WN2C

• 277 Posts
  • 33 Reply Likes
Tim, can you post a picture of the new microphone with the connectors. I am havin a little trouble understanding how the PTT works. I see the 6400M has RCA PTT and TX 1, 2 and 3. So what (or which) is used for the PTT and how is the microphone connected?
Photo of Tim - W4TME

• 9152 Posts
  • 3478 Reply Likes
We don't have one to take a picture of at this time.  They are being manufactured and we'll not have them until later.

Off of the mic cable is a  "Y" splity" where one leg is the 1/8" mic audio input connector and the other is an RCA male connector for PTT.  Theconnectornctor will connect to the female PTT RCA connector on the back of the radio.  TX 1-3 (TX Relay) is for keying external devices when MOX is asserted (the tradio is transmitting or "keyed up").  The PTT connector is for keying the radio.
Photo of Steve Gw0gei

Steve Gw0gei

• 193 Posts
  • 50 Reply Likes
Tim, how will a Heil Proset headphone connect to the 6600 ? Will it require an adapter lead? I currently use a yaesu adapter lead on my 6300 to use my Heil sets
Regards Steve gw0gei
Photo of Tim - W4TME

• 9152 Posts
  • 3478 Reply Likes
For the mic connection, the answer is probably not since the connector off the headset is a 1/8" plug.  If the headphones connector is a 1/8" TRS plug, then the answer for that connection is no adapter is needed.
Photo of Rich McCabe

Rich McCabe

• 1042 Posts
  • 222 Reply Likes
I dont think I read this anywhere yet...

On the 6600/m is the 1/8" and 1/4" mic connectors separate inputs or are they wired together as a single balanced input.

Rich
Photo of Tim - W4TME

• 9152 Posts
  • 3478 Reply Likes
Rich, they are electrically separate.  The 1/8" is a pseudo-balanced input and the 1/4" is a balanced input.
Photo of Rich McCabe

Rich McCabe

• 1042 Posts
  • 222 Reply Likes
Well how awesome is that. So we can have options :)

As always, thanks Tim.

Rich
Photo of EA4GLI - 8P9EH - Salvador

EA4GLI - 8P9EH - Salvador

• 1758 Posts
  • 536 Reply Likes
Will these work on the current Maestro? I had to transform my fmh-1 into a condenser mic to make it usable with the Maestro. I think making this new minc the default accessory with the Maestro as well will be a good idea.
Photo of Clay N9IO

Clay N9IO

• 535 Posts
  • 124 Reply Likes

Not sure if I caught the answer here,

will the FHM-2 work on the Maestro???

Sorry if I missed it.

• 1207 Posts
  • 247 Reply Likes
The FHM-2 will work on the Maestro. flex sells a replacement cable that has RJ45 on each end and plugs into mic 1 on Maestro. You will need to turn on Maestro mic bias and also be able to turn off the 20 dB boost since the FHM2 has a higher output.

Dave wo2x
Photo of Clay N9IO

Clay N9IO

• 535 Posts
  • 124 Reply Likes
My bad, I just re-read Tim's original statement.

"The mic will connect to the back of the radio, using the 1/8' mic connector for audio and the RCA PTT connector for keying the radio."

So I will change my question to >>>
Is there a Yaesu or other mic with RJ45 connector on it that does work with the Maestro?
Photo of Clay N9IO

Clay N9IO

• 535 Posts
  • 124 Reply Likes
Thanks for the info David.
My thought is that the RJ45 will be more stable and less prone to breakage on the back of the Maestro particularly if I am transporting it to a location other than my desk.

• 1207 Posts
  • 247 Reply Likes
I am using an FHM-2 on my Maestro at work. I also have a Maestro at home which I use the RadioSport Rs60CF headset with the dual 1/8" roght angle connectors on it. I use the M350 electret condenser element on the RS headset.

Flex sells a cable that pluga into the Mic1 RJ45 connector on the Maestro. The other end is an RJ45 with boot. This cable will replace the cable ahipped with the hand mic that came with the radio and can be used with either the FHM1 or FHM2.

The cost for the cable with the two RJ45s is $12.
http://cart.flexradio.com/RJ45-Cable-...

Dave wo2x
Photo of Mike, W8BE

Mike, W8BE

• 120 Posts
  • 22 Reply Likes
Tim, what about Radio Sport head sets? 

Will there be an adaptor available?

• 1208 Posts
  • 249 Reply Likes
If the 1/8" mic connector on the 6600 is wired the same as the Maestro then RadioSport makes a cable for the Maestro that has right angle connectors on it and should work. Tim can clarify.

On th Maestro he mic2 1/8" carries mic and PTT signals.

Dave wo2x
Photo of Joe  N9VX

Joe N9VX

• 40 Posts
  • 7 Reply Likes
How will the mic get voltage for the condenser element?

Joe  N9VX
Photo of Mike - W8MM

Mike - W8MM

• 189 Posts
  • 40 Reply Likes
Same way Maestro does?
Photo of Bill Roberts

Bill Roberts

• 222 Posts
  • 40 Reply Likes
My Flex 6600 is in the mail, somewhere in Ohio and scheduled for delivery tomorrow.  Will my radio include the new microphone and if not, can I get one?
Photo of Alan W4FBI

Alan W4FBI

• 238 Posts
  • 30 Reply Likes
should have it. Mine did - received two months ago.
Photo of Robert Lonn

Robert Lonn

• 288 Posts
  • 70 Reply Likes
Should get it with the radio.. BTW, Flex ships using UPS, I dont think UPS delivers ground on a Saturday..
Photo of Bill Roberts

Bill Roberts

• 222 Posts
  • 40 Reply Likes
We'll see :-)  Right now, the estimated delivery date is 5/12/2018 according to UPS.  Around here (Michigan) both UPS the USPS deliver on Saturday/
Photo of Clay N9IO

Clay N9IO

• 531 Posts
  • 123 Reply Likes
Included Bill.
Enjoy the new rig.
Photo of Robert Lonn

Robert Lonn

• 288 Posts
  • 70 Reply Likes
I have activated the Bias setting for the FHM-2 for my 6600M,, however the push buttons on the microphone are not changing the frequency?? I looked in the manual but cant seem to find if their is a setting or function that needs to be turned on, as was the case with the Bias..
Photo of Wayne

Wayne

• 614 Posts
  • 84 Reply Likes
The FHM-2 microphone is a yaesu microphone and the up/down buttons on it are not compatible and do not operate when using it with the flex radios. It is provided as a microphone only.
Photo of Tim - W4TME

• 9152 Posts
  • 3471 Reply Likes
This information is incorrect. 

That feature is not available using the 1/8" TRS jack on the 6600/6400 because there are no control lines for it to address the frequency change.  That is only available when connected to an RJ-45 or 8-pin Foster mic connector (Maestro, FLEX-6300, FLEX-6500 and FLEX-6700).
Photo of Robert Lonn

Robert Lonn

• 273 Posts
  • 66 Reply Likes
Thanks for the update and the!!
Photo of KC2QMA_John

KC2QMA_John

• 559 Posts
  • 193 Reply Likes
I have a FHM-2 mic that came with my 6600M and want to use it with my Maestro is this the cable I need to use with my FHM-2 mic and Maestro?
http://cart.flexradio.com/RJ45-Cable-For-the-FHM-2-and-FMH-1-Microphones_p_969.html
Photo of David G4NRT / Z21NRT

David G4NRT / Z21NRT

• 240 Posts
  • 35 Reply Likes
Sorry to be slightly off topic but could someone tell me the model of the mic which ships with the 6700 and plugs into the front socket.  Also, is there an adapter to allow its use in the rear socket of the Maestro?  Thanks!

• 1208 Posts
  • 248 Reply Likes
Early 6700 shipped with the FHM1 dynamin. Newer ones ship witht the FHM2 electret condenser mic.

Contact Flex to see if they sell a cable for the 6400/6600 radio. The cable on the FHM series mics is easy to change. Just pull back the rubber where the cable plugs in the mic. It is an RJ45 connector and there is a tab to release the cable.

Dave wo2x