Flex 6400M Backup SD

• Question
  • Updated 6 days ago
It appears Flex6400 series radios boot from an SD card.  As we all know SD cards can fail.  Has anyone ever backed one of these up?  Does Flex make images available in the event of SD card corruption or failure? 
Photo of Dave

Dave

• 43 Posts
  • 8 Reply Likes

Posted 2 weeks ago

Photo of Bill -VA3WTB

Bill -VA3WTB

• 3294 Posts
  • 748 Reply Likes
In the early days when the new radio started to come out there were a few were the SD card failed on the customers. After a Help Desk Flex was able to determin the problem. They sent the customers new SD cards and the customers replaced them on site.

I know these SD cards are not the same ones we buy at the stores, these cards are a very heavy duty card that will read and write much longer then the cards we all use in our devices.

As for backup on site, I'm not aware of anything,,yet.
Photo of Ted  VE3TRQ

Ted VE3TRQ

• 298 Posts
  • 101 Reply Likes
Now that’s a really good question! The configuration is easily backed up with SSDR on a computer, but what about the software that runs the radio (and the “M” interface)?
Photo of Mack McCormick

Mack McCormick, Elmer

• 389 Posts
  • 135 Reply Likes
Dave,

Please do not back up your SD card. You will likely void your warranty. 

If you have a failure under warranty then Flex will handle all repairs. Out of warranty then the cost of repair is very reasonable if it is a SD card failure.

Mack
W4AX
Alpha Team
Photo of Ted  VE3TRQ

Ted VE3TRQ

• 295 Posts
  • 98 Reply Likes
The SD card is probably not easily accessed, but how can backing up an SD card void a warranty??? I use SD cards for Linux and Windows systems all the time, creating copies at will, including touching up partitions as necessary.
Photo of Dave

Dave

• 43 Posts
  • 8 Reply Likes
Thanks Mack, Was not attempting this, was just inquiring. 
Photo of Dave

Dave

• 43 Posts
  • 8 Reply Likes
I work in IT and we have cards in commercial equipment fail from time to time. Sometimes things just get corrupted.   I think it would be great (especially for those with radios out of warranty) to be able to have access to or have the ability to make recovery images for their radios.  Just something I was pondering, food for thought.  
Photo of Craig Williams

Craig Williams

• 139 Posts
  • 34 Reply Likes
I would like to see a response from Flex on this issue.
Photo of Volker Geith

Volker Geith

• 45 Posts
  • 7 Reply Likes
Hi all,

just thinking the same. Clone the card 1:1 (like a hdd / sdd) should work, why not?+

Volker, DL4RCE
Photo of Volker Geith

Volker Geith

• 45 Posts
  • 7 Reply Likes
Hi all,

I bought a new micro SDcard with 2GB of storage. I did an image of the internal SDcard and saved it locally (Win32DiskImager, used it on a 64Bit Windows10 machine). After that I wrote the image to the new 2GB storage. Re-installed the new SDcard in the Flex and it booted up exactly the same way and in exactly the same time, abt. 55sec.

So now I do have a backup SDcard and the image locally if something happens. Costs were about 20USD for an 2GB SDcard and an USB micro SDCard reader.

I am satisfied :)

If you have any questions, feel free to ask.

Regards

Volker
Photo of Mark WS7M

Mark WS7M

• 470 Posts
  • 134 Reply Likes
I think Flex will need to weigh in on the warranty voiding...

I would image the card personally because in my experience these things happen Friday night at 4:30pm before Field Day.

Mark