flex 6400 / 6600 boot up time

• Question
  • Updated 2 years ago
  • Answered
One of the complaints I have seen from others is the lengthy time it takes for the 6300/6500/6700 to boot up.   Does the 6400/6600 use a SSD and how long does it take to boot up. 
Photo of Mike, W8BE

Mike, W8BE

• 172 Posts
  • 38 Reply Likes

Posted 2 years ago

Photo of Tim - W4TME

Tim - W4TME, Customer Experience Manager

• 9198 Posts
  • 3558 Reply Likes
Official Response
I am going to answer Mike's initial question then close this thread.

1.) No, the radio does not have an SSD, it uses a microSD card.  An SSD is not required and wouldn't make much difference as the time is not bound by the I/O speed of the data storage device.
2.) We do not have any timing data as the 6400/6600 radios are currently prototypes.

I want to add that the 6000s are multiprocessor embedded systems.  This is a complex piece of hardware and you can't really compare it to anything else because the architecture is not like any other radio on the market - it isn't just a radio, it is a radio server. 

We go to great lengths to ensure that the radio is fully operational and performing at maximum levels each time it is started.  Some processors have to boot before others.  And there are several internal calibrations and system checks that happen everytime it boots and this takes a little time to complete.  So the bottom line is the time it takes the radio to boot, is the time it takes the radio to boot (a variation of "it is what it is").