Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

flex 6400 / 6600 boot up time

mlstutler
mlstutler Member ✭✭
edited June 2020 in FLEX-6000 Signature Series
One of the complaints I have seen from others is the lengthy time it takes for the 6300/6500/6700 to boot up.   Does the 6400/6600 use a SSD and how long does it take to boot up. 

Answers

• W9OY
    W9OY Member ✭✭
    edited July 2018
    Why is this a complaint?  Since a FPGA basically boots from scratch every time it boots, the boot time is related to the complexity of the system, which means a little slower boot time means more features.  Would you rather faster boot and less features?

73  W9OY
  • Richard Kemp
    Richard Kemp Member
    edited May 2017
    I'm not sure of this, but I have been told that the 6300/6500/6700 runs a self diagnostic program every time they boot up. I would imagine that adds some time to the boot up Time.
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 2018
    I have not seen it as a real problem, unless you are in some kind of hurry or something.
  • mlstutler
    mlstutler Member ✭✭
    edited May 2017
    The anti Flex crowd uses that as one of the minuses the Flex has. I can't say that I know the architecture of the FPGA,  but my pc with a SSD boots up in 20 seconds.   I assumed the long boot up time was due to  hard drive latency.   I still would like to know how long the 6400/6600 takes to boot up. 
  • mlstutler
    mlstutler Member ✭✭
    edited May 2017
    Sometimes I am in a hurry to chase DX.   If I am in a hurry I use my 590.  If I am not in a hurry I will run the 6300
  • Mike VE3CKO
    Mike VE3CKO Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2019
    Mine is on 24/7 so I don't notice it but when I do reboot, I see there is a precise sequence of events and no self-diagnostic going on which I know is a only a good thing.
  • mlstutler
    mlstutler Member ✭✭
    edited May 2017
    I am not a fan of leaving the radio on 24x7. 
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2017
    a lot of people do leave them on all the time, there really is no down side to it other than wearing out fans.
  • mlstutler
    mlstutler Member ✭✭
    edited May 2017
    Unless you want to run remote,  I see no reason to leave it on.   Not only would I have to leave the Flex on,  I would have to leave the 1KFA on as well.   Turning it off saves in energy costs and also the equipment is not **** in dust.  

I  think that even with the diagnostics a Flex with a SSD would boot considerably faster. 
  • mikes3
    mikes3 Member
    edited July 2018
    I was amazed the first time that I powered up my Flex-6500!  I now have an ANAN-100, which is READY, as soon as it is turned on.  So, yes, the startup (boot-up) time for the Flex-6400M is indeed a factor.  (In my example, I go to the radio desk, turn on the radio and at that point, I must wait for the Flex-6500 to allow me to use the app to run the radio.)  If I left the Flex on at all times, this would not be an issue.  (-IF- I left it on...)  73!  Mike, K0JTA
  • George KF2T
    George KF2T Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2019
    Don't believe there is an HDD on board. The architecture of the 6000-series is pretty substantially different than other radios, as it is not actually a radio until the FPGA is set to make it one. Even then, it's a radio server, with more complexity than an SDR that does some (or all) of the processing outside the chassis. 

Faster boot time? Sure, would love it. Think we're probably pushing the state of technology with what we have now.

• W9OY
    W9OY Member ✭✭
    edited August 2019
    The 2 architectures are pretty different.  I like my Flex better than my Anan so I'll spend the extra 45 seconds.

73 W9OY   
  • mikes3
    mikes3 Member
    edited May 2017
    45 seconds is all it is?  I thought that my (no past) 6500 took more time.  Also, I was an early adopter, with "almost beta" firmware and software, by comparison to my ancient 6500, SN 22, as I recall.  -K0JTA-
  • Rick  WN2C
    Rick WN2C Member ✭✭
    edited May 2018
    I timed my 6300 the other day and it took 65 seconds. I do not care if it takes 65 seconds. I am not missing any dx that I know of until I get the radio on.
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2017
    DDUTIL can control ur SPE Amp. So the Amp is no excuse. I run remote much of the time My station runs 24///365 My 2K-FA gets turned on remotely when needed. Radio power consumption is minimal on receive.
  • Clay N9IO
    Clay N9IO Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 2019
    My Acom amp wants 150 seconds of warmup so it's all good with me.
    Non issue in my mind.
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2017
    Totally different architectures. Anan is just a front end to the bulk of. The radio in your external computer. Flex is the radio server itself Not sure a few seconds boot up time would make much difference on catching DXunless you are running a superstation that. Gets them First call.
  • mlstutler
    mlstutler Member ✭✭
    edited May 2017
    If you are using compromised antennas,  every second counts.   Try breaking a pileup with a 1/4 wave vertical. 
  • mlstutler
    mlstutler Member ✭✭
    edited July 2018
    Thanks for all your comments.   FB on how you guys operate.   Maybe Tim can update this on Tuesday. 
  • Gene - K3GC
    Gene - K3GC Member ✭✭
    edited February 2018
    OMG I just checked the boot time of my 6500.  It took a minute and six seconds.  I can not tolerate this.  I must get rid of this slow dinosaur.
    Really, guys, if this is the most that we can find wrong with the Flex it must be a pretty good radio.  VBG
  • George KF2T
    George KF2T Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2019
    It took a while for my HT37 and HQ129x to warm up enough to even stay on one frequency. My phone takes about a minute to boot up. My coffee and toast take a few minutes. My "instant" oatmeal takes a couple of minutes. Even violinists and pianists warm up their gear for a bit. I'm good with my rig's performance, and don't mind giving it a minute or two to get ready.
  • mlstutler
    mlstutler Member ✭✭
    edited April 2019
    I guess this thread has touched a nerve.   I was hoping to get some useful information to see if the new series of Flex radios might have a quicker boot time.   I am disappointed that instead of just answering the question I am getting scolded over such a minor nuance. 

Why do we use solid state amps now.    One of the main advantages of solid state amps is a quick start up time.   I know that was one of the reasons I got one.   If you don't care about warm up time then why purchase a solid state amp.    

In a perfect world I would love to hear that the boot up time for the 6400/6600 is quicker.  I don't expect perfection,  I would just like to have my cake and eat it too.

• mikes3
    mikes3 Member
    edited June 2017
    Yes, indeed.  You had said, "I guess this thread has touched a nerve."  Some of the responses have been almost defensive, rather than offering a more logical response to what is simply "the way it is." 

I had "missed" the way I had normally enjoyed an on-air session, when I had to wait for my Flex-6500 to be ready.  My IC-7300, TS-590 and even (gasp) my ANAN are pretty much ready to go, when they are powered on. 

I do like Flex, do not get me wrong!  I have had the SDR-1000, TWO of the Flex-1500's, a Flex-3000, TWO of the Flex-5000 and lastly, the Flex-6500.  And I am considering the Flex-6400M.  So, I have enjoyed the Kool-aid, obviously.

Also, I am not a DX-er; I enjoy chatting, some net activity and the like.  I have no desire to be able to connect to some location that is important to some.  If and when I connect to a DX station, I want to learn what he sees out his window, and so on.  We exchange this sort of nonsense, as opposed to the guaranteed 5-9, after a couple of "AGAIN??!!" requirements.  We all have our desires, I guess.

73;  Mike, K0JTA

• Mike VE3CKO
    Mike VE3CKO Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2017
    If you don't care about warm up time then why purchase a solid state amp.   
    Though warm up time was a factor, it dwarfs the real reasons I purchase solid-state amplifiers. No tuning, easy auto-band switching, no tubes to replace. Saying that I also have an Alpha 87A and replacement tubes are not cheap and yes there is a warm up period. Which is why the Alpha is my amp of choice in the winter months to help heat up the shack. :)

• Ned K1NJ
    Ned K1NJ Member ✭✭
    edited May 2017

Hmm...  6500 vs. 1.9.13.89  boots in 50 seconds.   Turn on when I get
    up.  Then I get coffee.

Ned,  K1NJ

• Burch - K4QXX
    Burch - K4QXX Member ✭✭
    edited July 2018
    This is a strange complaint to me.  If you have an Anan that boots up instantly, was your computer already on when you turned on your Anan?  I have a solid state drive in my computer and it takes about 20-30 seconds to boot.  I turn on my Flex before I turn on the computer and by the time I enter my password into my computer the flex is a few seconds from being on.  Are we really complaining about a few seconds?  On the other hand, my tube amp has a 3 minute warm up and I usually only turn it on when I need it and that 3 minutes seems like eternity when listing to a DX station that I want to work!
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2017
    I read all the comments and I don't see anything were a nerve was touched by anyone. But I have seen most people see the start up time on the older Flex radio's never seemed an issue. Remember the boot time on the 3000 1500 and 5000 were only due to how fast you computer booted.

As you know,,we really have not much time  if any time with the new radios, so we don't know..After Tuesday lets see if Tim says anything about the boot time.
  • Michael Coslo
    Michael Coslo Member ✭✭
    edited May 2017
    I'm not certain how we would know how long boot takes since they aren't out yet.

But if the people who hate Flex Radios are reduced to complaining about Boot Time that means they don't have much left to complain about - Hopefully they aren't using a Tube amplifier. My 6300 takes 48 seconds, and the Alpha 9600 takes 180 seconds. Give the people who hate flex that info.8^)
  • Michael Coslo
    Michael Coslo Member ✭✭
    edited May 2017
    Is there a reason you don't just turn it on and leave it on? 
  • Michael Coslo
    Michael Coslo Member ✭✭
    edited May 2017
    My 6300 boots in 48 seconds. I'm not certain of the operating needs of different people, since my radio is booted whenever I'm in the shack.  But if immediate access is an absolute priority, and the radio must be turned off when not in actual use, The Flex radios are a non starter. Along with Tube amplifiers, especially the Alphas which have a three minute warmup, and a number of other radios like the 756 Pro's which also have a boot time. Tuning can also be an issue. 

AFAIAC, there aren't many cases where the 48 second boot time of the radio is relevant. If there is a desire to keep the radio turned off except when planning to transmit as soon as possible, even the boot time of the computer is critical. From a dead stop, it taks 1 minute and 27 seconds to log in, then boot Windos, then load SmartSDR CAT, Dax, and SSDR on my computer.

And given that over time, Windows computers take longer and longer to boot, I see the need for immediacy either as adapt to the situation, or get a radio that boots immediately, and don't use a computer with it.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.